8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2013 7:56 AM by andrew_p2 RSS

Amsterdam in Winter

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We are planning to travel to Paris and Amsterdam this winter.  It will be our first time in Amsterdam and we will be staying at the Amsterdam Marriott.  I would love to hear some suggestions about things to see and do and especially suggestions about restaurants.  We plan to spend 4 nights there and don't really know much about Dutch cuisine.

All suggestions will be appreciated. We love to just walk around cities and often walk 3-5 miles each day when visiting new cities.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Amsterdam, Netherlands Marriott Hotels & Resorts Amsterdam Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Amsterdam in Winter
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

phctourist,

It sounds like a great plan for a trip! 

You will find the Marriott and Amsterdam to be most enjoyable.  Don't let the Winter slow you down, you will have a great time, just take a few warm clothes!

Now as far as things to see and do, I would invite you to go to previous Amsterdam posts and you will be amazed at the great information!

Do not let "Dutch cuisine" be difficult.  You can find anything you would find in most any major city there.  Here is one of my favorites, as well as other MRI:

Madre Maria,

An inexpensive place a short walk from The Renaissance, you will enjoy the wood grilled food.  Not fancy, but you can dine in a nice environment for few Euro's!

IMG_0331.JPG

There are so many wonderful places to see, you will get your daily walks in "With no problem"!

Enjoy!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bprince Platinum

The Dutch restaurants is not what you will find easily in Amsterdam because of the many nationalities who live there. But things you can find are (and are typical Dutch) Hollandse nieuwe Haring (raw fish with onions), Hema rookworst (sausage you can buy at one of the Hema stores), Kroket (the ones at FEBO are good) and erwtensoep (soup made from green pees with sausage). If you would like to eat things like "boerenkool met worst" (green cabbage with potatoes, gravy and sausage) or Stampot (carrots, potatoes and onion) I suggest one of the smaller pubs. If you like sweet try "poffertjes" (very small pancakes with butter and sugar), stroopwafels (dutch waffles) or Oliebollen (typically served during new year celebrations).

And you need a warm coat and an umbrella in December.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Holland & Paris 002.jpgThere are two great museums in walking distance of the Amsterdam Marriott Hotel, (same street) one shown here, and the Van Gogh. Both are well worth visiting, and canal tour is great way to experience the city. You can book trip across street from Marriott. The Anne Frank House is a favorite of many, but we did not take the time to visit here as entrance was too time consuming.               Holland & Paris 006.jpgFine dining is not exactly Amsterdam's forte', but we found good food in the old district, "Piper Heidsieck", near Marriott, as shown below.- Holland & Paris 011.jpgThere is a Renaissance Hotel near city centre, which is quite nice. We took the city trolley, which stops across street from Marriott to Renaissance. We stayed here one night only to be within walking distance of the train station, and rather than trying to find a restaurant in this tourist section of town we ate at the hotel dining room.Holland & Paris 012.jpgIf you plan to rent an auto, the Hertz station is about five blocks from the Marriott Hotel (same street) should you want to take a few day trips. Depending on the time of the year, the area south of Amsterdam where tulip farms are located, is quite nice, but our favorite is the small, traditional Dutch village of Huesden, between Amsterdam and Antwerp. Further south is Brugges, Antwerp and Brussels. 101_0154.JPG Hope this is helpful.                                               Fred

Fred.

Great pictures and report!

This will help a lot of people who plan on visiting The Amsterdam area.

Thank-you!

shdavid Platinum

it's a interesting plcce for next visit

phctourist,

You will find Amsterdam a most interesting place.  Plan on walking a good bit, but your location is very good.  Do make sure you get a canal cruise, it is very lovely:

FH000041.jpg

This was a very nice craft, inexpensive, to tour by water!

IMG_0342.JPG

Everyone seemed to enjoy the sights!

There are many "Small, inexpensive shops" to enjoy as you walk around the city!  This one is not far from Anne Frank's home.

IMG_0336.JPG

phctourist, hope this will help on your trip!

shdavid Platinum

thanks for your excellent guideline

andrew_p2 Member

Sounds like a fun trip.

As far as I can remember, the Marriott is at the far end of Leidseplein which smack in the middle of the action.  Vondelpark is a nice park very close to the hotel, or if you pass the entrance nearest the Marriott, there is a hotel on the corner (can't remember the name) with a good bar and restaurant.  I would recommend the Rijsteffel restaurant around the corner from there which offers excellent Indonesian food (originating from the days of Dutch colonisation).  For Dutch food, there is a place on Spui which is popular for traditional food (opposite the NH hotel I think).  At the higher end,De Kaas (or similar) is supposed to be one of the best in Amsterdam (although it is a little outside) and looks a little like a greenhouse- I'm sure it is much nicer than I'm making it sound. Alternatvely, the Japanese at teh Okura hotel is nice.  As I think others have mentioned, you can't really go wrong with ordering some simple snacks (bitterballen etc.) in one of teh many brown cafes (old fashioned cafes- not to be confused with coffee shops).   For cocktails, I would recommend Door 74  For wandering around, the Jordaan area is a lovely area and likely the Amsterdam you imagine.  Located in the Jordaan, the Negen Straatjes (9 Streets) is a good place for shopping.  I also recommend checking out De Pijp, home to Alberkuipmaarkt (nice market), the Heineken Brewery (actually quite interesting) and plenty of nice bars and restaurants.   If you fancy seeing a small brewery and a windmill in one place, head for Brouwerij aan der Ij.  Hope that helps and apologies for the misspellings of the Dutch words.