4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2013 12:35 PM by stelzer001 RSS

Loyalty works both ways

bw Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Disappointed with Marriott.  I will be closing this account at the end of the month.  I have other rewards cards with better rewards points and easier to redeem points.

Too bad I,  like Marriott hotels. What Marriott doesn't understand is there are about 100 other hotel chains I can choose.  I have to drive past a dozen other hotels to get the the marriott I am staying in.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Loyalty works both ways
    mr.sing Platinum

Yes loyalty works very good! I can say as I traveler for 40 years, when I stay in a Marriott, you know what you get everytime! Hilton, for example, are very different overeas verses their hotels in the states. Thinking comfortability, expectations, etc. The hotels, NOT bad-mouthing them at all....I just say, why not use all of them and their respectative point/mile systems.....use them all.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

yes, mr.sing, I totally agree with your idea that a points system or rewards program should not dictate where you stay. Stay where you are most comfortable and where you feel you are getting your money's worth. There are many hotels out there that are worth a stay, and if you feel one brand is consistent and you won't be left out in the cold by reserving that brand wherever you go (ie Marriott), then by all means use it. If you receive a little extra while staying there consistently, isn't that even more the better?

jbecks Member

@bw I completely agree. I'd go a tad further to say that in an industry where customer service and consumer loyalty is so necessary, a hotel umbrella, such as Marriott, cannot afford NOT to be loyal, committed, accommodating and surpass all others in all possible ways.

Let's face it- as frequent travelers-we are afforded a wide array of options, therefore the need for excellence on the part of the establishment is key. I've not found that to be the case here-in any of their brands, sadly.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

agree with all. I have been loyal to Marriott for last 10+ years when company switched to them from another major hotel chain. I started a thread (its up currently) titled - "We cannot stop the drumbeat now (March 2013)" which details the loss of bennies. I have been a road warrior for over 30 years, started in Westins (then the Company mandate), then Hyatt (then the mandate), then Marriott (current mandate, but also now can chose Hyatt, Starwood and some Hiltons). Given dilution of Marriott Rewards, and the fact I now have Life Plat, I think it is now time to go were the (perceived) grass is greener, as I do have a choice in travel (hotel, air and car rentals), so unless Marriott is the best rate and best location, my loyalty will now not be solely to Marriott. Too bad for them, as I am a heavy spender, probably over $100K per year, but they seem not to really care about me, since I am not a 20 something and hip (my kids don't think of me as hip, that's for sure), so I am not part of the new demographic they seek. Maybe someday, Marriott will recall with fondness my loyalty and spending, which will go on for another 10-15 years, but I doubt it and it is their loss. Keep on diluting MR and see what happens. Is it any surprise that the flyertalk award never go to Marriott?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...