6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2013 10:29 AM by lakersfan RSS

Only in Big Bear could like happen...

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

DSCN1309.JPGWell it is frontier country, but a heavy metal Polka Band seems a tad bit over the top, sorta like Frankie Yankovick fronting for AC/DC!  At the same time Big Bear is one of the friendliest places anywhere: people actually talk to each other, no one is  worried about status (or so my staff tell me), everyone gives you a smile and a wave.  Must be a parallel universe.

DSCN1311.JPGIf you find yourself there please go to the Grizzly Manor Cafe for breakfast, and you will not be disappointed.  We sat at the counter (as the locals do) next to a CEO of a major software firm in Southern CA, but we talked for an hour about the meaning of life, our kids, and the secret to living the hand that you are dealt.  The owner is a bear of a man, takes only cash, encourages you to get your own coffee, and then refill everyone elses next to you. 

Food comes on forklifts, really. My wife had the "sissy style" pancake which could have fed three or more lumberjacks and I had the "small cheese omelet" with enough eggs to make twelve hens blush. 

What a great time, no discussion of points, loyalty, hotels we've stayed in, or even our "status."  Just human conversation about stuff, essential stuff. If you have a dollar give it to them and they pin it on the curtains, then take it all down and give it to charity.

I heartily recommend this place even if you aren't coming in from moving stones in your yard, or walking the many trails at 8000 feet above sea level.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Big Bear, California, USA
  • Re: Only in Big Bear could like happen...
    77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

anadyr,  Grizzly Manor sounds like the real deal & I know it is not just me that could use some honest, frank and refreshing conversation. Thanks for reminding me there is this kind of "normal" out there to be enjoyed!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

It is the kind of place that is getting harder to find, much harder to find with the homogenization of eating places across the land.  I also spoke with non CEOs there, people who would not hesitate to help you, a total stranger, if the need arose.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Been a few years, but remember a "hearty" breakfast there.  Think I took a nap after that!  Thanks for your excellent post!!

Instead of a nap I ran four hundred miles through Death Valley.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Y I K E S ! ! !  Wow and holy xxxx.  I think I get tired DRIVING 400 miles.  Wow - impressed, I am.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Now that's a memory days gone by when I had in-laws in Huntington Beach that we'd visit many times a year and take the drive up to Big Bear to enjoy their mountain retreat.  Grizzly Manor was always where the guys would have breakfast at least once on each trip or we didn't feel like we'd been to Big Bear.  I think I still have some of that extra weight on my somewhere from those breakfasts, WOW.

Thanks for the pics anadyr, always great stuff.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...