10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2013 5:02 PM by phctourist RSS

Has anyone else been denied a room even though there is a 48 hour guarantee?

melaxp Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I'm trying to book a room in center city Philadelphia for Nov 2nd.  All the hotels in center city state they are booked.  However, I'm a platinum member and there is the 48 hour advance notice guarantee.  I am getting very little help except people stating no luck.  There are not caveats on the website about this guarantee except it does not apply to the Marriott vacation club.  If it's this hard to use points, maybe my hotel loyalty is misplaced and I should begin buiding up points with a different chain.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Has anyone else been denied a room even though there is a 48 hour guarantee?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I haven't read the fine print, but doesn't the 48 hour guarantee only apply to paid stays not for reward nights?  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Has anyone else been denied a room even though there is a 48 hour guarantee?
    melaxp Platinum

There were no paid night available either.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Just the opposite.  In two instances, one in April this year, I was able to book a room, calling the Platinum desk, on a night when the hotel was sold out.  It was not innexpensive, but got the room I needed.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

melaxp

Hi.  How frustrating it must be for you!  I'm not sure, but I believe the 48 hour guarantee is only good for PAID stays.  There have been many times where I have experienced being blocked out of a property due to room control, but WAS able to get a paid stay.  Also, in circumstances where the property was totally full, I have always been given the guaranteed room.  Hpwever, just as lakersfan mentioned, the rate was commensurate with the low availability (expensive). Since you still have a few weeks time, I might suggest you book the room with Paid guarantee, then monitor the property daily as rooms open up all the time.  I know that you mentioned there were no paid nites avasilable either, but I am confident that a call to Marriotty would clear that up.  good luck and let us know how it turns out.

shoeman

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I've called 3 days prior to the Masters and was offered a room at a local property just a few miles from the event, so maybe its something specific to the property?  Have you called the platinum line to see if they can sort it out for you?

PS the room I was offered was not an upgrade of any sort and it was still something absurd like $800/night.  So it can happen but they are not obligated to anything cheaper than the posted rack rate, which is generally something obscene.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Yes - at the time, I was Platinum Premier for 6 straight years and tried booking a venue - denied. The 48-hour "guarantee" is really not guaranteed.

johnl Marriott Associate Gold

Hi melaxp,

I apologize for the trouble you've had in trying to book the room.  The official word according to the Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions state "48-hour Guaranteed Availability: Limited to Platinum Member's personal guestroom. Guaranteed room availability for reservations booked at least 48 hours prior to arrival available at all participating Marriott hotel brands except Marriott Vacation Club. 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability may not be available on certain limited dates (e.g., special events). Benefit cannot be used in conjunction with award usage or any type of promotional or discounted rates. For Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, 48 Hour Guaranteed Availability applies to studio rooms only."

I believe the underlined portion will answer your question.

Thanks,

John

erc Platinum

melaxp

johnl has stepped up (welcome back, I didn't know if you were still around, good having you on board) and confirmed what pingreeman said in his post above. This is one of those gordian knots of logic that fall under the Ooga Booga clause of communication. As you can see from the More Like This  (in orange print) in the upper right, you are not the first to bump into the Guarantee that guarantees you get a room (at rack rate), unless you don't.

As for building up points in other hotels, I have found it's always good to follow Hall of Fame boxing referee Mills Lane's advice, "Protect yourself at all times".  Stick with the Insiders and arm yourself for optimizing your travel experience.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I have never been denied a room since I've become platinum. but the prices can be very high when a hotel is near fully booked and the guarantee only applies to paid stays.

I needed to extend a stay at the Copley Place Marriott shortly after Boston Marathon bombing while the hotel was packed with media people.  A room was offered but the rate was extremely high.  A manager, named Ruben, worked with me checking for a better rate each day and found one after 5 days of searching. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...