12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2013 10:07 PM by jetlag66 RSS

Paris Rive Gauche

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone stayed at the Marriott Paris Rive Gauche?  I am considering a trip to Paris and am attracted by its lower price than other Paris Marriott hotels.  At the same time I wonder why it is less expensive than the altermatives.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts
Paris, France
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center
  • Re: Paris Rive Gauche
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings phctourist - if you haven't already, here's a link to member reviews Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center

Also, here's an older thread but some great details and links you may find helpful.

Re: paris rive gauche

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi phctourist,

The reviews for this hotel property (which caters more to business customers) are mixed.  I stayed here on points in 2007 1) to save a few points over the higher category and more centrally located Paris Marriotts, and 2) just to try something different (on that trip I wanted to focus more on the left bank - the rive gauche .)  I found the hotel to be a very agreeable bargain, in terms of trading centrality in favor of monetary/points savings.  Our room was quite small, but sufficient.  The bathroom was also quite small, which wasn't a problem, but the tub/shower only had a half glass partition, which blocked the shower spray from drenching the sink located next to the shower/tub, yet allowed spray onto the floor at the far end of the tub/shower.  Kind of a pain.  The toilet was located in it's own little room however.  The hotel staff were very polite and pleasant, and the concierge services were outstanding: they worked hard to help us with whatever we needed.  We did not enjoy elite benefits back then, so I'm unfamiliar with the lounge.  If you're a coffee drinker, take advantage of it.  Coffee is expensive in Paris.  I only had one complaint about the hotel and it could certainly have been an isolated problem, but it was late May, our a/c didn't work, the windows didn't open (to at least catch a breeze), the room was thus a sweat box and they couldn't move us.  That was a bummer.

What are your Paris expectations?  Do you enjoy lots of walking?  Are you comfortable with the metro (your Paris best friend, btw)?  Do you have to be in the middle of the fray or are you just as happy in a quiet neighborhood?  What part of Paris do you intend to focus on?  Where to stay depends a lot on what you're after.  As with any big city that you may fall in love with, you can return time and again, never seeing the same thing twice (unless of course, you want to).

To answer your second question, location, location, location.  Rive Gauche is not centrally located (and not quite as fancy, but still very nice), but not very far out either.  At least one metro transfer will be required, depending on where you happen to be going on a given day - Eiffel Tower, L'Arc de Triomphe, Bercy, no transfer required, but all else, transfers are necessary - and will thus take a little longer getting around.  Even so, I found it to be worth the savings.  Plus, you're located more in what I would refer to as the 'real' Paris.  The neighborhood is peaceful (for a city neighborhood), with good restaurants and little markets.

With each recurring visit to Paris, I find that sometimes I want to stay in the area where my focus is.  It provides me with a greater connection to the local district (arrondissement) and more of a communal feeling with the locals, which creates a greater sense of authenticity and a feeling like I've seen some neat things that I otherwise wouldn't have.

My next cash stay in Paris will probably be at the new Courtyard Boulogne, even less expensive than Rive Gauche.  You might want to check that property out as well, if you're interested in savings.  Also, look to the right of the screen under the label, 'More Like This' for more Rive Gauche discussions.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

What excellent information - and I am not even going to Paris, but still good and interesting!  Thanks

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

Bonjour phctourist!

Our family has just returned from the Rive Gauche Marriott. In fact, we have stayed there twice in the last year and a half. Everything Pluto has stated above is correct. Pluto thanks for all of the detailed info. Many of the questions she posed will help determine if this hotel is right for you.

As for Elite benefits(we are lifetime Platinum), the Rive Gauche has been really fantastic to us. Last week, we had a suite(had the kids with us)on one of the top floors with a beautiful view of the city. Our arrival gift was a bottle of red wine, and a fantastic cheese plate. As we had stayed there before(15 nights in April 2011), we got to know Valerie and the wonderful staff in the Concierge Lounge very well, and they welcomed us back as family(with a very generous welcome gift of their own). Such a lovely staff in the CL! The concierge lounge offers a good breakfast with meats, cheeses, eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, pastries, cereals, fresh juices, milks, a gourmet coffee maker(espresso, cappuccino, American coffee, macchiatos, hot chocolate, etc), an assortment of teas, sodas, still and sparkling water, toast with a spread of jams and Nutella. I am probably forgetting something. They also have an afternoon tea, and later appetizers and cheeses, complimentary wines and beers...just a fantastic old school concierge lounge. Very nice! If this hotel was in a lower arrondissement, it would be extremely expensive. However, it is in a really nice area, but further out(although still in Paris)...good restaurants close by(you will eat with locals, not tourists), easy access to metro(and as Pluto stated, you have direct lines to Eiffel Tower and other sites), you can walk to Luxemburg Gardens in 15 minutes, and then on further down to the Latin quarter and Notre Dame in another 10-15. The Catecombs are a few blocks away, too. And, you can get on the RER line B, only a few blocks away, which can take to right to central Paris, and on to CDG.

SO, it depends...if you like to walk(a great way to see Paris, and are willing to take the Metro(you probably would take the Metro even if staying at the CE, Arc dI Triumph, or the Vendome, anyway...the difference is that you will not be able to just walk out of your hotel and be in the first or eight arrondissement). But, when you return to the Rive Gauche early evening, you can go to the concierge lounge and have a snack and glass of wine,  have a rest, and then go back outfor the night. Very nice!

If you only have a few days in Paris, then stay central at the CE, Vendome, or AT. If you have more time, you might want to consider staying at the Rive Gauche.

And, If this is your first time to Paris, and you are on a tight budget, you might want to consider something my husband and I did 13 years ago, on our first trip to Paris(before Kids, too)...we splurged the first 2 nights on the Marriott CE, and then stayed the remaining time at the Courtyard in Neuilly Sur Seine(I don't think it is a Marriott Anymore, but I may be wrong). But that was awesome for our first time, and it worked for our budget. And, Neiully did not have the Metro close by at all, so it was not as convenient as the Rive Gauche. Just a thought. You could stay at the CE or AT or Vendome for a night or two, and then move to the Rive Gauche for the remaining time.  Or you could stay in Boulogne, as Pluto put out there. I have never stayed at that property, however, we used to live right across the Seine, in Saint Cloud, and Boulogne is a nice  area...the metro is close and will get you to Central Paris, too.

And if you don't have a budget, and it is your first time, I would recommend the Renaissance Vendome or the CE. Vendome has the best location, in my opinion, but CE has the glitter of being on the CE(Some might think more glamorous). We have stayed at these properties(and the Trocadero), but now that we have children, the Rive Gauche is best for our family with the family suite that they offer.

Good luck in making your choice, and feel free to ask any other questions you may have. There is a very helpful group of people who love Paris here on Insiders, who will help you out! You will have a wonderful time, no matter where you stay!!!

Great report, Lakeshore and great idea about splitting between a couple of properties.  Very glad to know you had a great time and that you were well taken care of.  It doesn't get much better than that!  Can you list some of the restaurants that you dined at in the vicinity?

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

HI Pluto!

This time we actually dined with friends, however, last time we had some good meals on Rue Daguerre, which is right off of the Denfert-Rochereau/Avenue General Leclerc area(Maybe 4 blocks away). I can't remember the names, but the concierge probably could tell you. Or the Michelin maps website could probably lead one to something fantastic! We actually also ate very close, just down the block or two at an Italian restaurant, where we had some fantastic truffle lasagna...yum! there is a Momoprix close by...just walk down the block and turn right on Rue De La Glaciere, and there will be a Momoprix at your first left. this is where the locals shop, so they have great take out, cheeses, wines, a bakery(althought their are some good boulongeris along the way, too, and also clothing, beauty supplies, medicines, etc. So that is handy if you want to have a piqué-nique(picnic!) at the beautiful Parc Montsouris, which is just furthur up the road.

All of this food talk is making me hungry!

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Also, excellent information.  Thanks for posting!  Now, I am starting to think about a trip to Paris!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I want to thank all who have posted, especially lakeshore and pluto77 for all your helpful information.  We will be booking this hotel for mid-January, during the next few days. 

Location Brand Hotel
    Paris, France
    Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center

Have a lovely and safe trip, and please check back in later to let us know how it went.

olddebatecoach Gold 1 Reviews

We have stayed there at least four different times and always found it very helpful and satisfying. It's a nice walk to Montparnasse or a straight shot on the Metro and the best creperies in Paris are located there, especially Creperie Josselin, where they take no reservations but are always full.

dano1964 Platinum

My husband & I have stayed at the Rive Gauche Marriott several times on our first or last night in Paris.  It is a beautiful property in a fairly quiet area, which we find to be a plus. The amenities and staff are great. In response to a couple of other comments: rooms in Paris, as in many cities in Europe (but also NY) are smaller than we are accustomed to. Showers often have just half glass partitions. That's a European thing. The hotel is only a few blocks from the RER railway station which takes you to DCG airport. It's also only a couple of Metro stops from lots of restaurants and shopping. We prefer not to be in too busy an area, as we like quiet to sleep, so this hotel is perfect.

If you have any other questions/concerns, please feel free to contact me. I'd be happy to try to answer them, as I bring tour groups to France several times a year. 

Have a great trip!

Message was edited by: communitymanager

jetlag66 Platinum

Have stayed a couple of times at this property.   Concierge lounge excellent.   Catacombs nearby, RER and metro all within waking distance.   And a great Ausie Pub just up the street by train station.   All other info has been very well covered in previous posts.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...