7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2013 10:52 AM by jksallus RSS

Lifetime Point Accumulation, tips?

jksallus Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello everyone,

I am a 10 year + Marriot Platinum member.  The last few years I have gottent the Platinum Premier Elite upgrade (though I'm still not sure what that does).  I have about 730 Lifetime nights, so by the end of this year or early next, I will achieve the required 750 nights.  Unfortunately, my total lifetime point accumulation is only at 1.3 million of the required 2 million.  For any other "lifers" out there, are there any tips for accumulating additional points?  It might take another 3-4 years to accumulate another 700K points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lifetime Point Accumulation, tips?
    pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Make certain you sign up (if not automatically) to all mega bonus programs and get a Chase Marriott card. These options will accelerate your climb, but there is no fast/easy solution.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

jks,

I did something similar in 2012. Here's that discussion.  Good Luck.

Can You Travel Big and Maintain a Points Balance?

mr.sing Platinum

Sometimes as you are that close to acheiving those totals, you can call and be very, very nice and just ask.....sometimes! Another way is to purchase a time-share through Marriott, or their own credit card too! Both of those will help you acheieve the points needed.

moneeman1 Platinum

The thought on the Marriott Rewards Visa card is interesting.  I will reach the 750 nights far before the necessasry points balance.  I will be considering higher use of my MR Visa, but that should be compared with benefits/cash back you will lose on other credit cards.  The simplest example is the 1% cash back I currently receive on Discover.  If I move $50,000 (for example) of annual purchases from Discover to Visa, I get 50,000 MR points (perhaps a $300 value) plus 17 nights (at 51,000) credited towards elite status.  So, in that simple example I give up $200 cash for getting the cred towards lifetime P and the additional elite nights (which may or may not be beneficial, depending on my other stays).  The decision is not totally straightforward.

mr.sing Platinum

On the Marriott rewards visa, it's 3 marriott points to $1.00 USD spent....so this does add up. The only thing you have to do is decide whether the cash is needed or the status is needed. Because once you become Lifetime Platinum ( as I have since the beginning of the program), then you can switch back to the other card. So I think the value of the status is more valueable as I don't have to worry about getting the certain number of nights anymore.

jksallus Platinum

Well, at least I seem to be on the right track.  I have the Premier Visa and use it as much as possible abroad when I vacation.  I'll have to look at the bonus night stuff.  I don't want to purchase the time-share or vacation club; I don't see spending that kind of money to achieve the status as that important.  I know there is the option of purchasing 50K points per year, which amounts to about 700 bucks.  It seems to be just a waiting game now.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...