35 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2017 4:00 PM by pluto77 RSS

Sticker Shock!  How much would you pay for a hotel?

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We were thinking about going to an upcoming New Orleans Saints game if we could buy reasonably priced tickets on NFL Exchange (Saints tickets are sold out); however, when I checked out hotel prices, I was flabbergasted!  Not only were several hotels sold out, but the prices of those remaining were unusually high--Ritz Carlton-$549; New Orleans Marriott-$899, and Residence Inn New Orleans Downtown-$699--+ tax.  I can't find any other "special event" happening in The Big Easy that week-end.

The most I have ever paid for a hotel was $212+tax for the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans a couple of years ago.  We have stayed at hotels in Europe on points that would have been in the $400-$800 range.  I would never even consider paying that much for a room, no matter what was going on.  It wasn't too long ago that I hesitated when the rate was over $100.  Now, I just briefly hesitate when it is over $150.  But, $500+.....No way.

My questions are WHAT IS THE MOST YOU HAVE EVER PAID FOR A HOTEL?  WHERE WAS IT LOCATED?   WAS IT FOR A SPECIAL EVENT?  WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Sticker Shock!  How much would you pay for a hotel?
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I'm with you razor. Kinda sad that people get gouged like that just because an event is going on. I realize retailers have to make a buck but seriously??? sometimes it can definitely be taken too far. I expect to pay a little extra for a room and everything else for that matter when going to a special event, but come on

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

razorbackfan has converted this (very interesting question) to a poll - you can click here and participate: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1278

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

$700 per night at the Four Seasons in Instambul, Turkey.  We were leaving on a criuse the next day and all hotels were booked for some reason.  We could have stayed at an unknown independent hotel, but only having one night, we 1) did not want to take a chance and 2) wanted something nice so...we paid the most I have ever paid.  One comment, the service was outstanding in every way.  Took some postcards to the front desk to buy some stamps.  Did not have to.  The took my postcards and mailed them at no charge.  I don't think this had anything to do with how much we paid, just their great service.  Other than that, $350 per night a couple of times.  It is all about supply and demand.  My middle son is a Revenue Manager for a large competing chain and we discuss hotel rates and what affects them.  It is...all...supply and (anticipated) demand.

Thanks for responding, Lakers fan.  Would you add your vote to the poll on the link noted by ssindc in the above post.

razorbackfan, aka saintsfan, aka pelicansfan

politicalman Gold 3 Reviews

I have noticed the same thing.  I live in Tuscaloosa and the rates they charge when Bama is playing are so high!  It is the same with all NFL games in most major markets.  I know someone who had to stay 90 miles away when they went to Tampa for Superbowl.  Much of it is pricing a lot of people out of the market.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Reviving an old thread here. I am having really bad luck finding good hotel rates for the locations that I have so far committed (non-refundable airfare purchased) to going. 

For Oahu, we are staring down $425 out the door for one night at Waikiki Marriott (second night on points with a cash upgrade supplement, $100 out the door ), parking not included, or $800 out the door for 2 nights at MVC Ko Olina (reward rooms unavailable).  Granted, both room types are with excellent ocean views, as I'm not willing to leave that to chance with the upgrade Gods. 

Then for Dublin, again, no rewards rooms available, so the room I booked (for 3 persons) is a whopping $600/night, plus €50/night for a rollaway, plus €29/day for breakfast for the 3rd person!  WOW!!!!!  And more remarkable - I've actually resigned myself to a willingness to pay it.   Has my mind been taken over by aliens?

I tell myself that since we are staying with our dear friends for the rest of the trip (for Hawaii), the Oahu room splurge won't break the bank.  For Dublin, I looked into the Westin, which was also expensive, had no point rooms available either and didn't seem quite as nice as the Renaissance, and just reminded myself that this will be likely a once-in-a-lifetime, very special trip, and so, don't second guess it.  I really want the short stay in Dublin to be perfect - hip and memorable.  Ha ha, it will be memorable alright!   For sure the room rate will be.   I hope I never have to face prices like these again!

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Guess that's why they call it "the good life."

Good accommodations for you.

Good revenue for the hotel.

Life is short.  Enjoy it.

pluto77  I don't know how soon your trips are; however, it might be worthwhile to make a cash reservation, then continue to watch the website to see if reward stays become available. Our trip to Rome 3 years ago just about didn't happen because I couldn't get a 5-night stay on points at the Grand Flora, the only hotel I wanted to stay in.  I had given up on that part of our 5 week trip when a friend asked me about our trip and I told her how disappointed I was.  I decided to try again to get a room on points and found that a room had opened up.  I reserved it right away.  I hope you are as lucky.  I don't remember you discussing your trip to Dublin on Insiders.  Did I just miss it?  We would love to ride our bicycles in Ireland.

nationwide Platinum

I paid $375 a night for a Fairfield Inn in Bryan/College Station (minimum 2 nights stay and prepaid) for the Texas A&M vs Ole Miss weekend... I've certainly paid more per night at resorts in both cash and points equivalents, but this was the least amount of hotel I've gotten per dollar spent

AZDesertRat Platinum

For several months before last season's A&M- UCLA game, I tried to find a room anywhere near College Station, but couldn't.  Changed my flight plans, flew to Austin and drove with my son to the game - only to see my Bruins lose in OT.  Missed a chance to get to the George Bush Presidential Library, but I'll be back.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I paid around $350 for one night at the Copley Place Marriott, but that was right after the Patriot's Day bombing and the hotel was packed with press covering the aftermath.  I was there for a week and other nights which had been booked before the bombing were less than 1/2 that rate.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

We flew to Naples, FL, to close on a house purchase.  Wells Fargo messed up all the paperwork, so we couldn't close.  The seller wouldn't let us stay at the house.  It was the last week of February which is high season.  All of the hotels of all brands (not just the Marriotts) were booked full.  We couldn't use the Platinum Guarantee because we weren't calling 48 hours in advance.  It was a Thursday, and Wells Fargo promised to get things in order so we could close the next day.  So we only needed one night.  I started calling all the Marriott properties and finally found a room at the Ritz-Carlton Naples Vanderbilt Beach for $899 for one night.  The regular rate was $1299 but they let me use the bar association member discount (I asked about it) which saved us some bucks.  We took it.  The next day we drove up to the closing and waited around all day for Wells Fargo to get its act together, but again no closing.  So it was now a Friday.  We couldn't get back into the RC, so we went to the MVCI timeshares on Marco Island (Crystal Shores) which were running $799 a night, but they let us use MR points.  We used 55,000 MR points and got a fantastic villa with a Gulf front view.  We could only get 2 nights, so we burned up 110,000 MR points.  Then we had to move back to the RC on Sunday night and pay another $899 to stay there.  The closing was supposed to happen on Monday.  Again, we waited around all day for Wells Fargo to get its paperwork done, but no dice.  We left without getting the house deal closed.  The seller threatened to sue us.  But we had a 10-day financing contingency built into the contract, so we had some time to work things out.  We closed on day 11 because Wells Fargo couldn't get its act together for the next week.  The seller again threatened to sue us, but we agreed to pay him some extra interest which got him off our back.  We were able to sign the paperwork remotely so no additional trip to Florida for closing.  Wells Fargo gave us $2000 to pay for our hotel costs.  It covered the 2 RC nights, but didn't even begin to cover the cost of the 110,000 MR points we burned up.  I guess you could say we made the best of it because the RC Vanderbilt Beach and the MVCI Crystal Shores are both fantastic properties with beautiful beaches.  Despite the price tag, I'd recommend both properties very highly!  You can guess what I might think about using Wells Fargo for mortgage services, though

nationwide Platinum

clebert, lest we should take this thread on a real tangent here, I can completely empathize with the mortgage dilemma.  Wells Fargo blew a closing for me too!  All our worldly possessions were en route from Atlanta to Houston, with the new owners poised to move in that day.  We had weeks to get everything ready, and Wells Fargo didn't have the paperwork for a 9AM closing.  We got out of town the following day, but suffice to say I will never do business with Wells Fargo again under any circumstances.

clebert, Wow!  That is the most outrageous hotel sticker shock story I've ever heard.  That is not just terrible about Wells Fargo (and shame, shame haven't they already had enough bad publicity lately), but also rather snotty of the seller... After all, what more could you have done to prove your efforts and good faith in a situation that was beyond your control?  In the end, I hope it turned out to be a purchase well worth the headaches.

pluto77, sadly it is 100% true with no embellishment!  We did eventually close on the house and all is well.  Just don't ever show up in Naples, FL between Christmas and Easter without a hotel reservation!

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Thought I could beat the high rates at Kessler Canyon (an Autograph) by using points.  But it turns out it is in a location near nothing else, so mandatory to buy a meal package, at $175/person/day!  I passed.  Guess they don't want you brown bagging it!

Jsucool76 Gold

Looks beautiful there though. I'd love to visit. Never had a bad experience at a Kessler hotel yet. Actually just booked the Casa Monica for my sister's wedding. We'll see how it goes.

We went to a wedding at Casa Monica - it is a great property.  Enjoy!

Jsucool76 Gold

Did you stay at the hotel? Do they do breakfast? I know it's a resort but most of the Kessler hotels do the "continental breakfast" or a $10 credit towards any breakfast item.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

Needed 5 nights in Grand Cayman Islands in Feb, my regular Hotel The GC Marriott Beach was showing not avail on the on-line site. Called Plat Res, they said you can have a room with the "Platinum Override" for $999/night, I respectfully declined. The Ritz Carleton has rooms for $750 and up, still too much for 4 walls and a bed, if I was on holiday maybe but by myself, nope not gonna do it. First time in awhile I going to a non-Marriott Property.

wbwest Platinum

Just paid $550 a night at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park in NYC for my 40th birthday.  Stayed 3 nights - called and emailed several times leading up to our stay to let them know it was my birthday.  Not a single acknowledgement during our stay.  Was not offered the Platinum arrival gift either.

Paid $550 a night in July for 4 nights at The Cove Atlantis.  Didnt receive points for this stay.

Will be in NYC in March, Vegas in April, Marco Island in April and looking to book a trip the week of Christmas.  May shop outside the brand for a little better deal.

That's such a shame and a hugely missed opportunity that they didn't acknowledge a milestone birthday. From all that I've read on Insiders, the RC brand seems to have a policy to under deliver in the area of making their guests feel special and welcome.  Why such snobbery?

Anyway, Happy 40th Birthday, wbwest!!  Wishing you many more, and all with special recognition from your lodging hosts!

wbwest Platinum

Thank you!  Ironically stayed at the same hotel for my daughters 12th birthday several years ago - they had a nice cake and balloons in the room when we arrived.  I thought it was such a nice personal touch.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Our worst Sticker Shock was really in a lovely spot after the Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Lahaina/Napili Tower reservation we had totally tried to screw us on our villa we had reserved that was to be "Oceanfront" and was parking lot front.  I was sooooo peeved that we called the front desk to be moved four separate times over the span of 30 minutes and each time we were told that we will move your room, except the last time when I found the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua had 2 BR villas available.

We called them and told of the issue at the Ocean Club, they promptly told us they'd give us that villa for 1/2 price for our entire six night stay and didn't even sneeze at it.  This was the second week of December and we jumped on it, gave the keys to the Ocean Club room on the front desk and drove the five miles north to the Ritz.  WOW was it a fabulous spot and villa....and they even gave us a bottle of Champagne in our room when we got there some 15 minutes after talking with them.  That's some customer service, but the room cost after the 50% discount was still around $700/night and that was in 2010, can't imagine what it would be now days.

All in all totally worth that sticker shock.

You were very fortunate. I view that property as a "big deal, very much worth it."  I can still only dream of going there someday.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Which the Ritz or Ocean Club?  I'd actually stay at the Ocean Club again as it is in a great location, just really hard to find availability using points.

IAHFLYR  You are right about it being really hard to find availability using points.  I have been searching for months for nights to supplement our 5 or 7 nights at the new Residence Inn.  Never did find any availability at all.

The Ritz.  It looks sensational and there appears to be a lot of great things to do there.  The Cousteau activities look fantastic.  A no holds barred stay there would seem to me to be a memorable trip of a lifetime.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...