17 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2013 2:28 PM by madmax RSS

Kaua'i Advice Needed

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

It has been over 30 years since I visited Kaua'i.  The only thing I remember about the trip is taking a helicopter trip.  I got to sit in the front seat next to the pilot and almost paid for a second flight because I enjoyed it so much. 

We are thinking about including a few days in Kaua'i prior to going to Maui.  I am looking for suggestions on where to stay, how long to stay, great local restaurants, etc. 
What can you tell me about Kaua'i?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Kauai , Hawaii, USA
  • Re: Kaua'i Advice Needed
    Jojoangel Platinum 1 Reviews

I am actually headed to Kauai Wednesday morning.  Staying for 10 days  at the Courtyard.  first time to this island...been to oahu and maui before... we are looking forward to it  no clue though what we will be doing beyond relaxing and relaxing some more.  Lol

off to finish packing and then to bed. i hope others post their thoughts...i am sure some of the wonderful people here have some stories to share.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Have a wonderful time, Jojoangel.  Please post your experiences when you return....if you do. 

rgs01 Platinum

Sure, stay in Kaua'i.  Layed back island with lots to see.  Wiamea Canyon, Hanalei Bay, Kilauea Pont Lookout, Lygate Beach Park for the kids. We stay at Poipu Beach Club (Marriott).  You will like and I will be you go back!

designdeva Platinum 3 Reviews

Just got back from a week at the Courtyard in Kauai.  We travel to HI 3 or 4 times a year and Kauai is our very favorite island.  Very laid back.  We have stayed at the Marriott resort on Kauai a number of times but since they opened the Courtyard a few years ago it has been the only place we stay.  Very quiet, centrally located for any day trip around the island and a staff that is very appreciative of Rewards Members.  They are currently running a promo for rooms where you get buffet breakfast for 2 with your room.  Lovely addition as the food is great and the sitting lovely.  Can't say enough good about this place.  Enjoy your trip.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I really enjoyed taking a boat to see the Napali coast.  I was on the Blue Dolphin and thought they did a good job.  The scenery is really beautiful.  You can only see it from the water or hiking in.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

razorbackfan,

Kauai has begun to develop a little bit, but is still very much "country" in comparison to Oahu.  What has changed in the past 30 years, though, is the abundance of feral chickens!  After hurricane Iniki in the early 90's, a lot of chickens escaped.  And now, they out number the people on the island.  I went for 1 day for work earlier this year and I couldn't believe the number of chickens there were running around!  They do also have a Walmart now in Lihue. 

Where to eat?  Of course you can't miss the iconic Hamura Saimin.  It's good, but they over cook the noodles so its mushy.  That's kind of a pet peeve of mine, but I let it slide. 

Kauai Eats - Hamura's Saimin

What is your goal for Kauai?  Relaxation?  Romantic getaway?  Adventure?

Marriott has a lot of properties on Kauai, and I hear they're good!  But the ultimate on the island would be the St. Regis Princeville.  Located on the beautiful Hanalei Bay near the breathtaking Na Pali Coast, it's a hard resort to beat if you can afford it.  I've never stayed, but I know it is a smaller resort with only a couple hundred rooms and is home to Hawaii's only Jean George restaurant, though the focus here is on local ingredients. 

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/02/hotel-review-st-regis-princeville-on-kauai/

Here's a couple more links to help you out:

6 Hawaii bakeries you haven't visited yet but should by Catherine E. Toth | HAWAII Magazine | Hawaii news, events, places, dining, travel tips & deals, photos | Oahu, Maui, Big Island, Kauai, Lanai, Molokai: The Best of Hawaii

Walk on the Wild Side: Hiking Kauai's Mahaulepu Heritage Trail by Maureen O'Connell | HAWAII Magazine | Hawaii news, events, places, dining, travel tips & deals, photos | Oahu, Maui, Big Island, Kauai, Lanai, Molokai: The Best of Hawaii

Napali's Attic: A hike to the Kauai coast's Kilohana Lookout by Maureen O'Connell | HAWAII Magazine | Hawaii news, events, places, dining, travel tips & deals, photos | Oahu, Maui, Big Island, Kauai, Lanai, Molokai: The Best of Hawaii

boatpi Platinum 1 Reviews

Take to Kayak river tour, it lasts 4 hours and travels to a waterfall.  I got back 2 months ago from Marriott Resort at the harbor.  Decent place .  If you stay clear of Go! airlines.  they sub carry for Delta.  Aside from that it is laid back as it gets, all good food with may beaches in a short driving distance all somewhat different.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

hey razorbackfan we stayed at the Marriott Kalapaki Beach and this is a great hotel.The pool is awesome if you like hanging out. We took a helicoptor ride over to the Napoli Coast as well as a sunset catamaran cruise. Both were awesome and very scenic as well as laid back and serene. However, expect like   kharada46 mentioned to contend with the chickens everywhere you go. They even have t-shirts about them. It is hilarious! They come right up to you when you are lounging in a chair by the pool. The pool area is huge and has 3 whirlpool spas connected, two accessible from sidewalks and one only from the water. Just what the doctor ordered...

Enjoy your trip. I'm sure the CY is nice as well but my recommendation would be this one.

Kaua'i Marriott Resort

madmax, we've decided to stay at this hotel on points.  I am really looking forward to it.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I don't think you will regret it rbf. Our room was on a high floor and we could see the garden area, pool and ocean. I wish I could remember the room number. This picture of a cruise ship coming into port was taken while we were eating in the restaurant in the hotel. It is rather dark so you can't see the pool well but you can see how close the pool is to the beach area and ocean. In that first pic I sent earlier, the three columns that look as if they have putting greens on top are the whirlpools. Our view from our room was directly behind those and in between were the gardens. It is a beautiful hotel and at a certain time of the morning (I believe 9:00am) they feed the koi in the koi pond. That's a site to see in itself. I don't think I mentioned they have a drink package at this hotel for unlimited soft drinks if you purchase their plastic cup. I don't recall exactly, but I believe it was around $15-$20 a piece which was well worth it for a week's stay. The Lihue airport is very easy to get around in and rental car booths are easy to locate if you so choose to rent a car. I always like to rent a car to see all I can see as scenery is my thing.  Be sure to post pics and let us know how the trip went.

Kaua'i Marriott ResortKauai Marriott.jpg

mahina Gold 1 Reviews

The island may not have changed as much as you might think.  We love Kaua'i because it is not as populated as some others, and more laid back.  The natural beauty is almost unbelievable and the choices of things to do outdoors are unlimited.  We just returned from a week there, and I constantly found myself asking "I wonder what the folks other places are doing, poor things"!

We have a timeshare at the Kaua'i Beach Club Marriott, but stayed at the Kaua'i Lagoons property this time, as there is some remodeling going on at the Beach Club and we needed more space.  Either property is gorgeous and extremely well maintained. Both are a 5 minute shuttle ride from the airport in Lihue should you not want to rent a car (or only rent one for a day trip or two). There are also restaurants at the hotel and within walking distance, in case you don't include cooking in your vacation!  We love both Duke's locations-- one is casual beach fare (lower level), and the other is more refined dining (upstairs).  There is also a fabulous Italian restaurant on property called Portofino--definitely worth a try.  There are many other choices of  Mexican, pizza, seafood, etc. just across the street.

Marriott also has the Waiohai property in Poipu that is very family oriented.  Poipu, located on the south side of Kaua'i' is home to a number of other hotels and resorts, including Sheraton and Hyatt. The north side of the island is the location for the famous Princeville hotel as well as Turtle Bay Resort and Hanalei Resort. There are also a number of vacation rentals, condos, etc. around the island.

In addition to just enjoying the beaches, there are beautiful golf courses, snorkeling or boat trips for sightseeing.  If you are adventuresome, you can hike the Napali coast, do a kayak trip,  try zip lining, or an ATV tour.  And the helicopter rides are just as wonderful as you remember!  You can do as much or as little as you choose, and still enjoy a wonderful trip.

Thankfully, tourism has picked up, but this does mean that if you go during peak times (Thanksgiving, Christmas, January thru Spring break/ Easter), there will be more people and you will need to book early.

Go, enjoy!!

dfergie01 Platinum 5 Reviews

Our family has been lucky enough to travel to Hawaii several times.  If you go to Kauai I recommend staying up near the Nepali Coast, That's where most of the great resorts are located.  If the weather is right you should take a trip along the Nepali Coast into the caves and at the other end of the island do the Wiiamea (spelling) Canyon, it's breathtaking.  Beaches can be rough so be careful where you decide to swim.  I'm not sure about Marriott properties on the island. We went with kids and grandparents in tow and opted for a condo which worked out perfect for our situation.  Have fun and make the most of it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...