76 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2017 2:14 AM by brightlybob RSS

Like 1994....The First Marriott Stay

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Way back in September of 1994, I spent my first night at a Marriott Hotel. The Radisson Plaza Hotel in Melville New York was rebranded the  Melville Marriott Long Island Hotel. This hotel was just around the corner to a regional office where my new boss was stationed. He would call Friday afternoon staff meetings. Three of four were in Melville (a lovely drive home to Philly on a Friday afternoon, not!!). The Melville Marriott has always been one of my favorites. I am experiencing the hotel for the first time in 18 years this week. Back in 1994, I really didn't know much about hotels. Walking through the front doors has brought back many fine memories and a few cloudy ones due to the lobby bar.

Where was your first Marriott stay and have you been back? Is it still a Marriott after all these years?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Melville, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Melville Marriott Long Island
  • Re: Like 1994....The First Marriott Stay
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Pained

great question!  After over 1,200 stays with the first one likely being some time in the mid-70's, I can honestly say I have no earthly idea.   sorry

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Marriott in Santa Clara Cal around 1984

Shoe,

LOL.....That's funny. I wonder if the next time you talk to the nice folks at Marriott, they may be able to share your first points earning stay. I'm sure they have a record on when you joined, so maybe they have that stay also.  I'll bet it was a Marriott. There weren't many of the other Marriott family brands in the mid 70's, were there?

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Hi Pained,

Neat topic!  My first Marriott stay was also in 1994 at a full service Marriott in Roanoke VA.  I still have the original red membership card where I signed up for the rewards program. Sometime in the late 90's the hotel was re-branded as a Wyndham hotel which left the Roanoke area without any Marriott properties until a Courtyard opened next door in 2002.  A couple of years ago the same hotel has been re-branded again and is now a Sheraton.  I used to enjoy my stays there and was sad when the property was no longer a Marriott branded hotel.

vaboy,

Firstly, let me say how honored I am that the Insider of the Month would take the time to respond to one of my questions....

Secondly, thanks. Roanoke is one town in Virginia that I have somehow missed over the years. Someday, I hope to spend a night on the way to somewhere.

I'll bet that there are at least 20 Marriott Hotels that I have stayed at that are no longer Marriotts. Most were really great hotels. Just a few off the top of my head:

Marriott Wind Watch..Long Island

Seaview Marriott....Galloway, NJ

Hunt Valley Marriott... Maryland

Harrisburg Marriott... Pennsylvania

Princeton Marriott at Forrestal Village, New Jersey ( on Rte 1..now a Weston)

Marriott Mountain Shadows Resort...Scottsdale, AZ....This was my all time favorite stay.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

vaboywnder

I looked for the official notice of your award for October and couldn't find it, so I'll just congratulate you here, too, Scott.  That's great news.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Not sure if it was my first stay at a Marriott, but I didn't join MR until 2011 when I stayed at the CY in Indianapolis/Castleton. Nothing special, but near enough to where I was doing business that it made sense. Last time through town (over the summer) it didn't appear to have changed a bit.

It seems I might have stayed at a Marriott in D.C. back in the mid-1980's. Perhaps I should have signed up then. I might be a lifetime Platinum by now.

Since joining MR, I've only made a couple stays that weren't at a Marriott, so I guess the loyalty thing is working.

Thanks bejac

How do you intend to collect counties in WV and VA, bejacob?  There seems to be several techniques.

Are you from one or the other?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I collect counties by mailing myself a postcard from each county seat. When the postcard arrives home, I have collected the county. Here is a link to my blog on the subject Brian's County Collecting Blog. One of my early posts explained my unusual hobby.

I'm in Richmond, VA as I write this, but home is Columbus, OH. By the end of the week, most of the postcard I mailed over this weekend will have arrived and unless some get lost in the mail, they will bring my total up to 795 counties, roughly 25% of the country. Though I collected a few as far back as 2007, I've added over 550 in the last 2 years (that's when I really got serious).

I'll add a blog post with the details of my trip a few days after I get home (if I'm not too busy getting ready to fly to London at the end of the month).

That's a really nice blog.

I liked the Grand County postcard and the one of the courthouse at center right.  It reminds me of the Tarrant Co., TX courthouse that I always thought was just beautiful.  It's the one used for Walker, Texas Ranger.

You are really organized, too, like lakersfan.

When you get to the plains states, it's even harder to find a Marriott.  At least, it was difficult in 2005.

I do remember your earlier post about county collecting then.  I just forget who has what system.

I once talked to someone whose father had visited every county in TX and documented them with a receipt from each.  He surely would have laminated each since most of those inks fade so quickly.  I didn't think of that then.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Not my first Marriott stay, but I clearly remember that the Portland, Maine (Sable Oaks) Marriott was where I first signed up for Marriott's loyalty program (then the Marriott Honored Guest Program) and achieved what then known as Marriott Marquis status.  That was back in the late 1980's, and, yes, it's still there: Portland Maine Hotels | Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks

And, of course, only the old(er) timers remember Marriott Marquis status - check out this now-archived content:

Long-Time MR Blast From the Past? - http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1064

or

Marriott Marquis Luggage Tag - http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1019

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

hey pained. My first Marriott stay was in Anaheim at the Anaheim Marriott, Convention Center and is where I first signed up for Marriott rewards points in January, 1999. I go back every January or February and the hotel has gone through many changes but is still very convenient being right across the street from the convention center. The latest updates to the property were very much appreciated as the property was starting to look a little worn. However, not my most memorable stay. That would be JW Marriott, Ko Olina in 2001 for 30th wedding anniversary. I had chosen a package deal from Marriott for 230,000 points, 7 night Island Hopper so 3 days in Maui, Renaissance (Marriott was closed for renovation) and 4 in Oahu. Marriott points paid for the entire stay plus the flight from island to island. I used AA miles and only paid for our eats and souvenirs. Ahh, the gold ole days...(great trip) and (no more deals like that around anywhere)

That Island Hopper  or the Europe Hopper or the Great Britain/Ireland Hopper were all trips I had on my DreamRewards calendar. Man, was I upset when Marriott dropped these great packages.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

shoeman1000, Thank you for my salvation, as I honestly don't know either!

My earliest specific recollection would be the Res Inn in San Mateo, around - hey, wouldn't luck have it, 1994.  I believe it is still there.

In 1983-84 we used to hand spear the poisonous Australian Crown of Thorns starfish that were feeding off the reefs surrounding an Okinawan resort that later became a Marriott (but that probably doesn't count, does it?).  In return for our services, they would grant us free and unencumbered access to scuba dive in the reefs surrounding the property, which had some of the best diving on the island.  That Marriott is on my bucket list.

Well what do you know??? I was unaware of the spearing prowess of our Dear pluto77.  What other fascinating experiences does she have to share?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Pained,

Lol, it doesn't take much prowess to spear a stationary starfish (and not much empathy for something that was killing off the beautiful coral reefs), but thanks for the shout out.

erc Platinum

Back in the day (early seventies) Marriott used to franchise their operations in smaller markets and called them Inns. My first stay was in Blacksburg, Va. at the Marriott Inn. My first Marriott Hotel stay was at their first one (no, not in 1957 when they opened but 20 years later) at the Twin Bridges Marriott in Arlington Va.

erc Platinum

I'd also like to say that I'm glad I read this post, otherwise I would not have known my main man vaboywnder was the Insider of the Month. Congratulations on well deserved recognition, your contributions are greatly appreciated as well as your writing camaraderie. Sadly, with the deluge of reviews pushing everything back, if you go away, you miss scores of good posts, especially ones that don't show in discussions and are moved off of trending (although vaboy, my man, you're always trending - hats off!).

erc

It's more than sad that the moderators have chosen to celebrate the tsunami that we now know as Reviews. I'm starting to think it is part of a strategy....what exactly the purpose, I'm not sure, but they've allowed the best travel site to dry up to a drip of it's former self.  I feel bad for all the newbies that have legitimate questions that go unseen and often unanswered.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

PP,

So well put!

Can this "Mold" be broken so that we can have a site for more travel information than hotel reviews?

erc Platinum

Twice, last week while in the technology wilderness, I checked in and saw that all ten posts listed on the Insiders' Recent front page were Reviews. So I went to Activity only to find about 18 reviews in a row and 10 Likes (which I use in such cases to see possible interesting Discussions) which were all likes of Reviews, (liked by participants whose most, if not all activity were Review likes - yes, I tracked it out of morbid curiousity), in essence making the site a less organized (without pictures and maps) Trip Advisor review page. It used to be that we sometimes struggled to get a response out of Marriott, but at least we could find and follow the other travelers' insightful and enjoyable posts on both travel and the rewards program. Now, we have Marriott (or Marriott hired communication firms, merb will respond to pain's question below) promptly and sincerely responding, but to a squeezed out forum (see blava007's post, if you can find it). And don't get me started on the new concept, where we peasants toss up one-way ideas and thoughts to the ruling class and sit eagerly awaiting (sarcasm intended) that our one post might be the magical one that receives attention from the powers that be, like I wrote before (never to be found), I'd prefer to pay 1,000 points to join a forum where officers actually responded to the comments.

But, back to pain's interesting post to stay on track, another early stay in the 70's I had (not to denote that I'm living in the past, although it does demonstrate 'length of service', but rather, responding to the post - my most recent stay at the JW in Indy was one of my best stays ever) was at a beach hotel in Ocean City Md. run by Marriott (it still exists but not Marriott operated) was at  The Carousel, on the beach and lots of fun, with an ice skating rink smack dab in the atrium.

Officers do pay attention on some of the threads, like with CY and Jan (if I remember correctly).  Problem is, things like the Bistro and coffee from Starbucks have already been decided with no intention of changing their minds, IMHO. 

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Thank You Brother Erc!   I really appreciate your kind words and support.  Its funny that you mentioned the Blacksburg Marriott Inn.  I remember having a Marriott Hotel book back in the day which listed all of the properties and had black and white photos of each hotel.  The Blacksburg Marriott Inn was in the book and I remember how small and unusual it looked from the photo.  I can only guess that your visit(s) to Blacksburg were somehow related to VA Tech.  Do you have Hokie roots?

erc Platinum

Yeah, I've been known to go tubing on the New River a few times .

Have you ever been tubing on the Frio River in New Braunfels TX?  (Frio means "cold" in Espanol, btw.)

I never have, but my middle son has.  New Braunfels is near San Antonio, TX.  German heritage is still strong there as in most of the central TX area, like West, TX and the many German festivals they have, like sausage and polka in specific.

http://wurstfest.com/

Vine covered biergartens were common years ago.

The Germans entered TX along the Gulf coast long ago when there were cannibals on the coast if my TX history serves me right.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g56350-New_Braunfels_Texas-Vacations.html

http://www.newbraunfels-tx.net/

http://www.naturalbridgecaverns.com/%28S%28ft54zve52a4cjk553wekctuk%29%29/Index.aspx

http://www.wonderworldpark.com/

erc Platinum

eb

I've been to New Braunfels but I didn't go tubing (and therefore probably never will, since now as a geezer. I've slid into more of the 'lazy river' category like at the Aruba Marriott - I always enjoyed the Riverwalk in San Antonio).

When I was a crazy younger guy, I went to something like a wurstfest in the area (or perhaps I had a lot of beers and ran through someone's garden, it's a bit of a haze, but it was a blast)

The cannibal story is great stuff. I'm sure I'm going to win a bar bet off of that little tidbit, I'll tilt one back in your honor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karankawa_people

I really enjoy the caverns in the summer when it's boiling hot outside and mid-fifties underground. I'm a big fan of Luray Caverns back here in western Virginia (vaboy knows about them also). I'll often hit the caverns in the summer and Skyline Drive (great foliage) in the fall.

Nice chatting with you - thanks for the interesting info.

And now of course, back to pain's topic (so the Enforcer ssindc doesn't smack me sillier). I can't remember all of the various early hotels like lakersfan (and the room numbers! holy cow don't let him hook up with any of anadyr's "friends") but I can tell you that the first three were numbered #701 Twin Bridges #702 Key Bridge (with the now gone View restaurant on the top) and #703 psudads' and pain's City Line, so there.  Good night Mrs. Calabash - heading out to a great Italian dinner; for all of our sharing of terrific restaurants, and they are, I still love my neighborhood, know the owners, eating spots.

erc,

Did the Marriott Inn resemble a Marriott Hotel of the day? Was the only difference franchised versus corporate?

I've read about that Twin Bridges Marriott. It's pretty cool that you are able to claim that venerable property as an early stay. 

erc Platinum

Yes, the Inns were pretty similar (although less rooms) to the early Marriotts - think Marriott O'Hare pre-renovation. That Inn is a Holiday Inn today to give you a feel of the basic lodging service offered.

Ha, I appreciate that at least my Insiders pals think it's cool that I knew of/stayed at Twin Bridges. If my adult kids are any barometer, I believe the only folks that might share our appreciation are those that know the words to the Gilligan's Island theme song !

erc,

I know Anadyr and I stayed at the old Twin Bridges as well!

Those were special days!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

The first Marriott stay I recall was in 1979, on City Avenue, just across the street from Philadelphia in Bala Cynwyd.  I am pretty sure it was where the current 401 City Avenue building is.  They had a number of restaurants there, my favorite of which was the polynesian one.  Went back to that restaurant a few times.

In the early 80's, used to also stay at the Hunt Valley Marriott in the Hunt Valley/Cockeysville MD area.  It was a great place, back then.  It was also right near McCormick spices.  Used to love leaving the hotel in the morning, on my way to meetings, to smell whatever McCormick was grinding up.  Crisp, foggy, fall morning, with the scent of cinnamon permeating the air.  Stayed there, over the years, and as of about 2 years ago, it pretty much had not changed - at all.  Rather than refurbish it, they sold it to another chain.

Also stayed at the Castle Harbour Marriott in Bermuda.  Was a beautiful old hotel, on a gorgeous tract of land right on the water with an incredible breakfast buffet but, alas, it too is gone.

Have some other favorites but almost afraid to name them, lest they too fade away.  Coming up on my 25th year in the program.

erc Platinum

Aah, the Kona Kai (home of the famous Tiki Bar and it's drinks). Interestingly enough they have a Kona Kai at profchiara's fave hangout the Athens Ledra. The Twin Bridges (back then the properties were called Motor Hotels) had a restaurant the Sirloin and Saddle, but you're right, if we start naming the early ones, it might read like an obituary page.

That's some good stuff, psudad. I also felt that the Hunt Valley Marriott just needed a face lift, not a brand change.

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

Great topic, but I have trouble remembering where I stayed last night much less years ago...And then there were my single days where the rooms and roomates are all a blurr...

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

My first Marriott stay was at the Maui Marriott - the 100th Marriott hotel.  (it is now a time share)  My ex wife was a travel agent and when the Maui Marriott opened they offered travel agents free stays for the first 100 days.  We stayed for four nights in...March 1983 in a large ocean-front room.  The original "Marriott book" was in the night stand and...I read it during our stay.  My next stay was a few years later at the Houston Astrodome Marriott in 1985.  After that, I was a "Marriott guy" and said "I am going to stay in 100 Marriott hotels."  Why I said that, I don't know, but Marriott grew MUCH faster than I could check-off different Marriott hotels.

It took me 18 years to stay in my 100th different full-service Marriott hotels.  I hit my goal on Feb 5, 2001 with a stay at the Columbus North Marriott - phwe!  About six months before my 100th stay I wrote to Bill Marriott and on March 19th 2001 received  really nice letter commorating me reaching my goal.  It hangs proudly on my office wall.  On september 3rd of this year I hie #154  Besides full-service Marriott properties I have hit another 87 hotels (Residence Inns, Courtyards, etc.).

Marriott Letter.jpg

That's precious!!!  You should post/share your list!!!!

I've never thought of keeping track (although, just looking at hotel reviews, I've probably stayed at two dozen different properties in the last couple/few years)....

Ok,I will try to post my list of full-service Marriotts that I have stayed at:

Nbr.Hotel NameCity or AreaSt1st Stay
        1MAUI MARRIOTTMAUIHI03/01/83
        2HOUSTON ASTRODOMEHOUSTONTX10/20/85
        3SAM LORDS CASTLEBARBADOS 02/01/86
        4RANCHO LAS PALMASPALM DESERTCA09/01/86
        5MARRIOTT SCHAUMBURGCHICAGOIL09/30/86
        6BISCAYNE BAYMIAMIFL11/17/86
        7LAGUARDIA AIRPORTNEW YORKNY06/21/87
        8BALTIMORE INNER HARBORBALTIMOREMD06/22/87
        9PHILADELPHIA AIRPORTPHILADELPHIAPA06/23/87
        10LONG BEACH AIRPORTLONG BEACHCA07/02/87
        11ATLANTA MARRIOTT MARQUISATLANTAGA07/27/87
        12NEWARK AIRPORTNEWARKNJ09/17/87
        13SPRINGFIELDSPRINGFIELDMA09/22/87
        14DFW AIRPORTDALLASTX09/24/87
        15DESERT SPRINGSPALM DESERTCA11/01/87
        16MINNEAPOLIS BLOOMINGTONMINNEAPOLISMN11/10/87
        17HOUSTON AIRPORTHOUSTONTX12/03/87
        18MIAMI AIRPORTMIAMIFL01/18/88
        19CHICAGO O'HARE AIRPORTCHICAGOIL02/11/88
        20SAN DIEGO MARRIOTT & MARINASAN DIEGOCA04/22/88
        21SUITES SCOTSDALESCOTTSDALEAZ08/01/88
        22SAN ANTONIO NORTHSAN ANTONIOTX08/17/88
        23LONG ISLANDNEW YORKNY09/12/88
        24JW MARRIOTT CENTURY CITYLOS ANGELESCA10/01/88
        25SUITES NEWPORT BEACHNEWPORT BEACHCA10/01/88
        26CRYSTAL GATEWAYWASHINGTON DCDC12/13/88
        27JW MARRIOTT GALERIAHOUSTONTX02/01/89
        28SAN ANTONIO RIVERCENTERSAN ANTONIOTX04/10/89
        29NEW YORK MARRIOTT MARQUISNEW YORKNY05/19/89
        30BWI AIRPORTBALTIMOREMD05/23/89
        31MARCO ISLANDMARCO ISLANDFL08/20/89
        32ORLANDO WORLD CENTERORLANDOFL08/24/89
        33SUITES DOWNERS GROVECHICAGOIL09/18/89
        34LONDON MARRIOTTLONDON 10/01/89
        35BUFFALO MARRIOTTBUFFALONY11/05/89
        36SUITES CHICAGO OHARECHICAGOIL01/29/90
        37ORLANDO INTERNATIONAL DRIVEORLANDOFL03/27/90
        38ORLANDO AIRPORTORLANDOFL03/29/90
        39SUITES ALEXANDRIAWASHINGTON DCDC04/30/90
        40MINNEAPOLIS CITY CENTERMINNEAPOLISMN07/30/90
        41WINDWATCHHAUPPAGUENY08/12/90
        42HOUSTON WEST LOOPHOUSTONTX09/01/90
        43CASA MAGNA RESORTPTO VALLARTA 10/01/90
        44SUITES CHICAGO ELK GR VLGECHICAGOIL02/13/91
        45ATLANTA GWINETTE MARRIOTTATLANTAGA03/04/91
        46JW MARRIOTT AT LENOX/BuckheadATLANTAGA03/05/91
        47KEY BRIDGE MARRIOTTWASHINGTON DCDC05/01/91
        48FORRESTAL VILLIAGEPRINCETONNJ07/01/91
        49MARK RESORT VAILVAILCO08/01/91
        50BOSTON LONG WHARFBOSTONMA10/01/91
        51TRUMBUL MARRIOTTTRUMBUL CTCT12/01/91
        52NEW ORLEANSNEW ORLEANSLA02/18/92
        53SAN FRANCISCO AIRPORTSAN FRANCISCOCA03/11/92
        54SADELEBROOKSADDLEBROOK NJNJ05/06/92
        55BOSTON BURLINGTONBOSTONMA03/01/93
        56ATLANTA NORTHWESTATLANTAGA03/29/93
        57SURFERS PARADISEAUSTRALIA 04/24/93
        58MILWAUKEEMILWAUKEEWI05/24/93
        59BOSTON ANDOVERBOSTONMA08/08/93
        60TENAYA MARRIOTTYOSEMITECA08/30/93
        61ATLANTA PERIMITERATLANTAGA11/06/93
        62LOS ANGELES AIRPORTLOS ANGELESCA12/05/93
        63LINCOLNSHIRE RESORTCHICAGOIL12/21/93
        64PITTSBURGH AIRPORTPITTSBURGHPA03/19/94
        65PITTSBURGH GREENTREEPITTSBURGHPA03/21/94
        66SUITES BETHESDAWASHINGTON DCDC07/10/94
        67MINNEAPOLIS SOUTHWESTMINNEAPOLISMN09/01/94
        68COL. SPRINGS MARRIOTTCOLORADO SPRINGSCO05/23/95
        69ANAPOLISANAPOLISMD06/02/95
        70HUNT VALLEYBALTIMOREMD06/04/95
        71CHARLOTTE EXECUTIVE PARKCHAROLETTNC10/19/95
        72MARINA BEACH HOTELLOS ANGELESCA02/10/96
        73ORLANDO DOWNTOWNORLANDOFL03/23/96
        74FT LAUDERDALE MARINAFT LAUDERDALEFL11/18/96
        75ROCKY HILLHARTFORDCT01/27/97
        76NEWPORT BEACHNEWPORT BEACHCA05/31/97
        77MEDICAL CENTERHOUSTONTX06/25/97
        78SAN FRANCISCO MARRIOTTSAN FRANCISCOCA11/19/97
        79NASHVILLE MARRIOTTNASHVILLETN01/19/98
        80LONG ISLAND MELVILLENEW YORKNY03/17/98
        81PROVIDENCEPROVIDENCERI05/03/98
        82BOSTON COPLEY PLACEBOSTONMA05/06/98
        83SUITES DEERFIELDCHICAGOIL06/01/98
        84LAGUNA CLIFFS RESORTDANA POINTCA07/01/98
        85SUITES COSTA MESACOSTA MESACA07/01/98
        86CASA MAGNA RESORTCANCUN 08/01/98
        87LEDRA MARRIOTTATHENS 10/17/98
        88MANHATTAN BEACHMANHATTAN BEACHCA01/31/99
        89PHILADELPHIA AIRPORT-NEWPHILADELPHIAPA02/07/99
        90DFW SUITES MARKET CENTERDALLASTX05/12/99
        91DENVER WEST MARRIOTTDENVERCO06/01/99
        92FREMONT MARRIOTTFREMONTCA05/01/00
        93MARRIOTT MISSION VALLEYSAN DIEGOCA05/01/00
        94CORONADO ISLAND RESORTSAN DIEGOCA06/02/00
        95BOULDER MARRIOTTBOULDERCO07/20/00
        96PHILADELPHIA MARRIOTTPHILADELPHIAPA08/25/00
        97WORLD TRADE CENTER MARRIOTTNEW YORKNY08/28/00
        98MARRIOTT OAKBROOKOAKBROOKIL11/04/00
        99ATLANTA AIRPORTATLANTAGA12/05/00
        100COLUMBUS NORTHCOLUMBUSOH02/05/01
        101MARRIOTT MOUNTAIN SHADOWSPHOENIXAZ04/01/03
        102MEXICO CITY AIRPORT MARRIOTTMEXICO CITYMX05/04/03
        103CHICAGO DOWNTOWN MARRIOTTCHICAGOIL05/13/03
        104SEA TAC MARRIOTTSEATTLEWA06/03/03
        105VANCOUVER AIRPORT MARRIOTTRICHMONDBC06/03/03
        106SAN JUAN MARRIOTTSAN JUANPR07/03/03
        107Cammelback Inn a JW Marriott ResortSCOTTSDALEAZ07/31/03
        108Denver Southwest (or Southeast)DENVERCO08/07/03
        109Park City MarriottPark CityUT08/12/03
        110JW MARRIOTTMEXICO CITYMX09/21/03
        111Suites Las VegasLAS VEGASNV10/12/03
        112Los Angeles DowntownLOS ANGELESCA11/21/03
        113Scottsdale McDowell MtnScottsdaleAZ07/07/04
        114Portland City CenterPortlandOR07/19/04
        115Portland DowntownPortlandOR07/20/04
        116JW Denver Cherry CreekDenverCO08/03/04
        117SLC University ParkSalt Lake CityUT09/14/04
        118Phoenix Marriott MesaMesaAZ10/05/04
        119Phoenix AirportPhoenixAZ02/23/05
        120San Mateo MarriottSan MateoCA02/16/05
        121Napa Valley MarriottNapaCA02/17/05
        122Curacao ResortNetherland Antilies 04/17/05
        123JW Marriott Desert Ridge ResortSCOTTSDALEAZ06/28/05
        124JW Marriott Star Pass ResortTucsonAZ06/29/05
        125Denver Tech CenterDENVERCO09/06/05
        126Rancho CordovaSacramentoCA07/11/06
        127Irvine MarriottIrvineCA10/11/06
        128JW Marriott Las VegasLAS VEGASNV10/15/06
        129Atlanta Downtown MarriottATLANTAGA10/22/06
        130Denver Airport GatewayDENVERCO10/30/06
        131Oakland MarriottOaklandCA11/01/06
        132Mt. Laurel MarriottMt. LaurelNJ12/09/06
        133Detroit Troy MarriottTroyMI06/04/07
        134Milwaukee Marriott WestWaukeshaWI06/05/07
        135Racine MarriottRacineWI04/02/08
        136Marriott PeabodyPeabodyMA06/09/08
        137Pleasanton MarriottPleasantonCA07/23/08
        138Redmond Marriott Town CenterRedmondWA06/08/09
        139Minneapolis Marriott WestMINNEAPOLISMN10/14/09
        140JW MiamiMIAMIFL10/21/09
        141London Heathrow MarriottLONDONUK11/21/09
        142Marriott Boston NewtonNewtonMA01/11/10
        143Albany MarriottAlbanyNY04/14/10
        144San Jose MarriottSan JoseCA06/22/10
        145Heathrow/Windsor MarriottLONDONUK11/20/10
        146El Paso MarriottEl PasoTX02/15/11
        147Wailea Beach Marriott ResortMauiHI04/26/11
        148Fishermans WharfSAN FRANCISCOCA05/04/11
        149San Jose Marriott-Costa Rica!San JoseCR04/20/12
        150Quincy MarriottQuincyMA05/08/12
        151Ann Arbor YpsilantiDetroitMI06/04/12
        152Minneapolis NorthwestMINNEAPOLISMN09/11/12
        153Marriott AssociaNagoya, Japan 04/20/13
        154Marriott Convention CenterNEW ORLEANSLI09/03/13

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

lakersfan, this is amazing.  Were you traveling for business, pleasure, or both?  Why did you start keeping a list?

Both - there are extra columns on my spreadsheet andI list either business or pleasure or both.

38 were for pure pleasure

110 were for business travel

6 were a combination

I guess...I am a list keeper!

And...being a list keeper (don't know if that is good or bad) I also have almost all of the room numbers, the rate and comments about the room.  My wife just cannot understand this!

I think it's a really good thing.  Talk about being organized!!!

My great grandmother kept ledgers of things that happened to her family, who visited, how different ones were related and so on.  She also told some really neat stories that gave us a glimpse into the past.

One of my favorite stories was about a neighbor she had whose husband would take their one horse into town and spend his time drinking in the saloon.  One day, the woman got tired of it and got their son's stick horse putting it between her legs and "riding" into town.  She "hitched" the stick horse to the hitching post and went into the saloon. 

Of course, after "riding" into town yelling "giddy-up" and "Whoa, boy!!", everyone was aware of her presence and followed her up to the saloon to see what she would do next.  She got a shot of whiskey and downed it amidst the hoots of laughter that surrounded her husband, also sitting in the saloon. 

Then she got back on her stick horse, slapped her thighs and yelled "Giddy-up" as she rode out of town.

Her husband never did that to her again.  I'm not sure he ever even went back to the saloon again.

Some day, your lists might be as well appreciated by family, as I imagine your wife is glad you keep such records at times even now. 

Excellent story, eb5147 !  Appreciate you posting it and...making me laugh!

I am shoulder to shoulder in your list making. Keep it up!

That is sooooooooooooooo cool!   Thanks for posting, lakersfan.

I just got a great e-mail connection I wanted to share and don't know of a good place.

Lakesfan, your post here seemed as good as any.  Maybe someone can find a better place for it.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/auSo1MyWf8g?rel=0

WOW!!!!

Now that's a collector item!! Thanks lakersfan 

You've certainly earned the right to speak of the trials and tribulations of our Hotel of choice.

lakerfan,

Wow, and congratulations!

I too have no idea of the actual number of Marriott properties I have stayed at but you have motivated me to count them up!

Again, this is a wonderful way to bring back wonderful memories!

Congratulations and thanks again for your post.

I recently came across what might be my first Marriott Rewards card and the letter it is attached to is dated July 15, 2002.  I also found an account statement for the reporting period 10/13/02-10/05/03 and the only stay reported was a 3-night stay at the Springhill Suites in Tempe, AZ.  I earned 1,413 points on that stay and it was added to the previous balance of 1,335 (no clue where that stay was) for a grand total of 2,748 points. I don't remember that stay, nor what could have been my first stay.   In those days, we were traveling a lot with our bicycles to events and either camped along the way or we used one of the coupon books we found at visitor center's to find a hotel we could afford.  I miss those adventures, but I am glad now that we don't have to "rough it" when we travel.  Even if the benefits are not what they once were, I am happy to have been able to stay at some really nice ($$$$$) places on points and look forward to many more stays.  We really don't stay enough nights to split nights with other brands in search of the "greener grass".  And to be honest, I don't know if I'd be any happier staying at other chains. 

razorbackfan,

So razor, do you think that grand total of 2748 points were your program to date total, or did you cash some in prior to that statement?

Okay, if you can't remember your first overall Marriott stay, can you recall your earliest memorable stay?  Come on now, look back through those Santa Claus hat pictures and really think this over !!!

Oh, pained.  How I wish I could remember that far back!  I don't even remember that 3 night stay at the Springhill Suites in Tempe.  I'm sure we visited my aunt, but we would have stayed closer to her home and would have only stayed in Tempe prior to an early morning flight.  Who knows?

I don't remember our earliest memorable stay...but I DO remember memorable stays in Marriotts in New Orleans, Shreveport, Austin, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Branson, Little Rock, Fayetteville/Springdale (Go Hogs), Gulfport, Jackson, Memphis, Atlanta, San Antonio, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, Napa Valley, Calgary, Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria, Anchorage, Salt Lake City, Idaho Falls, Missoula, NYC, Niagara Falls, Washington D.C., Boston, Concord and Portsmouth, N.H., Portland, Maine, Hilton Head, Savannah, Orlando, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Panama City, Mobile, Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, Honolulu, Maui, and The Big Island.  If I think of any other memorable stays, I will add them.  I can only remember 1 non-memorable stay and that was a Residence Inn in Jackson, MS that changed brands shortly after we stayed there.  Only a few of the stays have been business stays when my husband taught bicycling classes.  All the rest were for fun.  Upcoming stays will add Corpus Christi, Iowa City, Portland, OR. and Kauai.  Now, WHY can't I remember my first stay?