32 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2013 4:40 PM by bpelican RSS

7 Hotel Security Tips

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated
(I just got this in an e-mail today and thought they were pretty good tips.)

7 Hotel Security Tips

Hotel hallwayMost survival tips are designed to help make your home more secure, like some kind of armageddon-proof fortress. And that’s a great thing…

What many of these guidelines fail to realize, however, is that a person is much more vulnerable outside of their home, in unfamiliar territory so to speak. Especially when you’re traveling…

If you’ve ever been the victim of a pickpocket, mugging, or theft, you probably weren’t in your own home. Opportunistic criminals make a habit of targeting travelers, precisely because tourists are generally unfamiliar with their surroundings and a little disoriented. They’re easy targets and they stick out like a sore thumb.

Recently, I came across this list of hotel/motel security tips and it got the wheels turning…

Here are the top 7:

1. Select a hotel room on the third to fifth floor which will generally keep you out of reach of criminal activity from the street but still within reach of most fire truck ladders.
  2. Familiarize yourself with escape routes in case of fire or other catastrophe.
  3. Avoid discussing your business or travel plans and movements during your stay, especially in public areas where they may be overheard.
  4. Do not discuss your room number while standing in the lobby.
  5. Do not leave your room key on restaurant or bar tables.
  6. Use the door chain or bolt lock whenever you are in your room.
  7. Use the door viewer (peephole) before opening the door to visitors.

Read all 10 at the Modern Survival Blog, HERE.

What are your best hotel and traveling security tips? Together, we create a comprehensive list of travel security tips! Leave yours in the comments section.

I’m always amazed at the unique and resourceful ideas that readers like you come up with.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 7 Hotel Security Tips
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

eb,

Thanks for sharing!

You never can be too careful.  This reminder may save some of us from being a victim.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Thanks.  It always is good to learn more on how to keep us safe.

cruisetraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi!

This is something that really happened- (We were at a Marriott hotel, I can't remember which city we were in)

We arrived at the hotel in the evening after a long flight delay. We were so tired we fell asleep and did not put the chain on the door. Later that night I heard our door open ( I am a very light sleeper) I yelled, my husband grabbed the ash tray on the night stand ( as you can see this was awhile ago) and threw it at the person. The man ran out or the room. We called the front desk and told them what happened. (We did not leave the key in the door, we just did not put the chain on it. )  They said we will give you a different room and  security will be on alert. I think they said this so that we would calm down.. Well, after arriving to our new room and unpacking our suitcases again we stayed up for awhile. You don't realize how much that takes out of you. Finally after a few hours we fell asleep. The next morning we could not find the key, we searched everywhere.  My husband was on his way to get another key, but when he opened the door he saw we left in the key in the door!  We could laugh about it now. It was a moment to remember !  Even to this day we double check the door.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

What an experience.  But it sounds like you learned from it.  You don't want to be paranoid but you need to be wary.

Very good tips, thanks.  I like the Marriotts where you need to use your key in the elevator to get to the Concierge Level.  Of course it's not full proof but it puts another level of security between you and the bad guys.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Here's an easy one. Don't tell have the planet that you're going to be travelling by posting it on Facebook.

Very true.  I hate Facebook, and then Marriott seems to be trying to force people to use it for contests and all.  I don't understand why they would do that.

Point well taken.

Another thought on this and pretty obvious.  Try to check-in and unload your luggage during the day-light if you can.  We had an experience early on in our travel years where we checked in after dark and my wife's purse got snatched from her as we were carrying our luggage into the hotel.

I had never thought of that before.  I usually drive until I get really tired, which is after dark.

Did they wait until she and you were loaded down with other things before grabbing?  Also, had you noticed anyone hanging around at any time or did they come out of nowhere?

There are often others hanging around when we get to a hotel / motel and I usually think nothing of it. 

We were both carrying luggage into the motel through a side door.  A guy was outside who looked liked he worked there and, as you said, I also thought nothing of it.  My wife held the door open for me who was totally loaded down.  As I stepped through the door and entered the hallway I heard her yell "Richard."  I dropped the bags immediately and went back out the door.  She was running after the guy who jumped into the passenger side of a car and raced out of the parking lot.  The guy had ripped her purse from her shoulder without hurting her and it was too dark to read the license plate.  So now we plan to arrive with plenty of light available when we arrive. 

Thank YOU for your tip, now. 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Something we never do is enter through the side door if we are just checking into the room with our bags in hand, always use the main door.  Even when not using valet I will tell the valet we will self park and I'll be back after we get into the room to move the car.  They may want to keep the keys until you return so make sure you get a parking ticket from them and tip them when you return to move the car.

Good advice that I learned the hard way.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

One tip I use sometimes when I leave my room (assuming it isn't for the entire day), I leave the TV on. People are much less inclined to try to open a door or attempt to break in when they suspect someone is in the room.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

ks77,

Great tip and use it more often than not.

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

I always leave the TV or some type of noise on. Years ago we experienced a very costly theft. I never flash the jewels, never flash anything, and tend to dress down if I am going to be at a property for a while. Sad sack after that lesson.

Great ideas.

andrewsmj Platinum

I travel a lot for my work and also always leave the TV on if I leave the room for a while (e.g to get something to eat). I also put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door in the hope that any would be thief will be less inclined to break in if he thinks there is someone in the room.

One thing I never do is to put the Please Clean my Room sign on the door - to me that just says there's no-one in the room, please help yourself . . .

I do the same thing and think these tactics are sound security measures.  The smaller properties worry me in that it looks like they depend on local law enforcement for the security.  Sometime it seems like the Desk person is the only hotel employee on site.  What are they going to do in an emergency?

They do nothing!!! They depend on the guest to be their eyes and call the police. My first instinct would be calling the front desk.

I'm afraid your assessment is right on, especially in the smaller hotels (FIs, CYs, etc).  Fortunately, their locations are mostly in comparatively "safe" neighborhoods. 

This reminds me that the CY in NE Columbia, SC that we use most of the time when we go back to Cola. has a really good buffet that the police like to gather at in the mornings.  You'll never find them congregating at the bistros, I'd bet.

Probably they draw the line at bistros.  You're safe in the SC properties, especially around Columbia. 

The NE is pretty safe since it's next to a hospital with police and ambulances going by all the time.

The CY close to Bush River Rd. doesn't seem that safe an area to me.  Now in the north central area around Harbison, all of those Marriotts would probably be pretty good.  I also feel pretty safe at the RI and the FFI in NE Cola.

You might be surprised at all the violence in Cola.  My son was mugged while walking from Columbia Mall on Two Notch to his friend's house about 1/2 mile away in broad daylight at Christmas time a few years ago.  He's big and is non - violent, gave them his packages; but when the 3 of them told him to lay down on the ground while pointing a gun at him, he fought back and was pistol whipped.  I'm not sure it wasn't race related, either.    

That surprises me in our Capital city something like that could happen.  Hope your son is OK and you're probably right in your last thought.

NO ONE congregates at the bistros! The "Bistros" might be a great idea for D.C., N.Y., Chicago, of near airports; but seriously who, in a suburban area where there are Paneras(St.Louis Bread Company), Starbucks, Chipotles and other "real" great food at reasonable prices are going to drop cash at a Court Yard; even when price is no object? In my neck of the woods if there is a desire to foster good relations with the local police who use the property as their turn around, then invite them in and give them Starbucks and a meal; might as well since few paying guest use the thing.

Exactly!!

The CY in NE Cola., SC still has the free coffee in the lobby.    I suspect they can get some breakfast items from the buffet for free as a lot of restaurants do.  I know everyone likes the shrimp and grits Mel cooks on certain days. 

But I see them there at all hours of the day and night and they often fill out their paperwork at the tables.  All of the employees know them and there is a good rapport.

Wisdom reigns at that property in NE Cola. I doubt that the local police at the dual properties I post of( a CY and TPS) have recently been invited indoors at all, except on official business.

Thanks for posting this.  Security is a big issue for me especially when the Grandkid(s) are on board and especially since I am getting older.  I like the idea of the door stopper.  But nothing is going to be full proof.  Have to stay vigilant and not put yourself in harms way.  Appreciate your post!

politicalman Gold 3 Reviews

One thing I would say is be careful of  what you post here.  I know that some people might be looking at this sight to see when some of us are traveling.  So talk in general or about past trips but be careful about times of year (Christmas or 4th travel.)

Very good advice, politicalman.  Never can be too careful.  Thanks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...