33 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2013 9:57 PM by thorpy RSS

The Loyalty conundrum explained

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The Loyalty conundrum explained
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

So good to see you are back, we have missed your posts like this one!

This is a wonderful way to share information with us.  The point #4 is most appropriate:

"When the rules change xxxx"!

Thank-you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Welcome back once again anadyr,

Nice to see you posting again!  And thanks for sharing this article!  Great stuff!

Yes once the aliens let me go and released the mind control gizmo, I was able to see more clearly than ever before.  I am back (for the time being).

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

anadyr,

Seems like we have a lot of oldies(me) but goodies(you and the others) MRI members active the last little while.  Is it because Halloween is coming, that we see us oldies coming back from the grave? (Sounds of creaking caskets in the background)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Gizmo or gitmo?

Jerry,

Totally agree with you and anadyr on this one.  Number 4 hits home, and unfortunately seems like it's here to stay.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

tryt,

Number 4 may be here to stay, but what about the guests, like us?

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Ah, Dr D..., I presume!

How is the dark interior these days?

A

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

No point made better than "You've been with this program since the outset. You've gone out of your way to shop within the rewards program and even took the time to master maximizing your points. You're only a few more purchases away from finally cashing in all those points. Then one morning you get up and the rewards terms have changed."

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Excellent article.  Loyalty programs are marketing tools that at times work out for the consumer, but all too often the stick with the carrot on the end is lengthened. 

robertdepew Gold 1 Reviews

Rewards changed and boy did they. Looked at Home Depot gift cards one day only to find 44k which was good, now 60k in points, was going to order 5 Gift Cards but had to order 4 ( Glad I got my watch earlier this year. Been with Marriott for 10 years and now am starting to look else where for next year

erc Platinum

We need to get the Millenials to complain about benefit erosion  

Millennial travelers spend more, complain more    

Holiday Inn Express, Marriott eye the younger traveler

kharada, you're in charge .

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Average is 22 loyalty programs per household, WOW.  I can barely keep up with the three we have let alone 19 more.

Thank for coming back with a great article anadyr, and #4 is always hanging out there to keep us off guard.

erc an excellent choice to have him start on a project that he can learn all about while in Europe soon!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Interesting all the complaining about Marriott changing the rules of the program.  Darn I should be surprised!   But the article is clear to me:

"Bottom line: Loyalty programs can change the rules in the middle of the game. Don't stay with a program to cash in on savings if the new rules negate the reward."

There are things in life where I make the rules.  Marriott rewards ain't one of them.  And whining doesn't change a thing.

You are SO right nuhusker.

erc Platinum

No worries here. Marriott changing the rules would be like Macy's opening on Thanksgiving.... oops. Living well is the best revenge, keep those ideas on restaurants, activities, and deals coming Insiders. Speaking of which - some terrific  <$100 rates on full service Rens and Marriotts in the DC market around Thanksgiving and from 12/18 on -  visit Intergalactic and say hi to Andy and the gang. Anyone wanting to catch a performance at The Kennedy Center over the holidays, check out the pre-paid AAA $79 rate at the Dupont Circle Renaissance, several $99 Mayflower rates as well. Putting on my best Bob Barker, "Come on down". DC is a great town over the holidays (although if the gov't remains shut down - no tree lighting!).

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

erc is right - DC around the holidays is quite special.  And I'm an unapologetic fan of the Mayflower (and I'm not alone - Starting 2013 in Washington, DC....The Mayflower Renaissance), and that's a great rate...

Also, for families (particularly grandparents), consider (alas) the DC Harbor Gaylord and the ICE! tour - ICE! Promotion - give it a try....

erc Platinum
          Here's one of my favorites - the $66 AAA (non pre-paid, you can cancel up to 6 pm) Thanksgiving eve at Tysons Corner Va. Marriott (great for catching a Thanksgiving day meal at Clyde's in Tysons and then hitting the mall, "if you're one of those"). And Tesla owners, look here: No kidding, they have their own charging station on the hotel site (the GM's idea).

Electric Car Charging Station

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I've seen several hotels that have these and it's great that they do.

I also see non-electric cars parking in them because of their convenient locations to doors and elevators.  The hotels and resorts that install them are going to have to do something about that, such as fining, or even towing, a car for parking in them.

(Roy Rogers and Dale Evans --- all time favorites of mine in every way.)

We are getting the DC presents early, aren't we?  Shutdowns, etc. 

erc, what you've posted is exactly the best way to take advantage of whatever changes occur within the MR program. A very positive contribution.  Capitalize on the bargains. And those DC rates are great ones!  I believe in controlling what I can instead of p & m'ing about what I can't.  I've been in too many rough spots in my life to let a couple thousand points determine my mood or direction.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I must say this article really hits points with a bullseye and certainly encapsulates my direction over this past year (and for years to come). I was really surprised to see that folks are into so many loyalty programs....oh well, they'll learn.

As for me, I belong to just 2 programs...Marriott and US (sc)Airways. I'm Plat with both but my loyalties have been strictly price driven as of last May when the Marriott program changes and US/American announced merger plans. I usually get upgraded to First Class on US (and have for our upcoming west coast junket), but, as I told my wife...that's over when the merger completes. It'll be just like Delta and United....good luck with that upgrade.

I've gone strictly price based this year when traveling and, if the big 'M' doesn't have the best price with a comparable hotel nearby, I'm not at Marriott....or, if there's a nice boutique we always wondered about, we're now giving them a go. I've had 5 paid stays at Marriott since Feb.

With USAir, I just booked my trip to St Maarten....on American. Here's why....we live where there are no hubs nearby (Atlanta is closest). US Air has decided to jack up the prices big time.

Example...USAir to St. Maarten round trip back of the bus coach...over $980. American Airlines...$1057.... First Class seats all the way and better flight connections.

So, is that loyalty thing working out for me? Not any more. As Kramer said.........

Kramer I&#39;m Out There Jerry - YouTube

erc Platinum

Good stuff. Oh my, look what we've done to the suave, sophisticated former CEO, he's become the Master of his Domain (I know, different show, but pretty close). You better get to that island before your wife doesn't let you play with us anymore. Have a good trip.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Well erc......

I've been called many things during my time working and playing but 'suave and sophisticated' has never been on that list! Thanks!

But, I must ask.....are you sure that you are not Rod Serling in disguise and your kind words have lulled me into that 'Twilight Zone' where no one is the true 'Master' of their Domain and I'm really now entering a new dimension???? If I am.........I hope I return to post again of my experience!

I figure that if you're using it, why not join the rewards program?  If you didn't plan on it the first time, it just might happen again.

Husband was put in Wyndham when he was working here the first time for 5 years, but had to leave there when "Legionaires" was found to be in the air vents.

On vacations, we often stayed in IHG since it was the best thing in the area that was affordable to us, and then the time shares we had were bought by IHG - Orange Lake.

When living in the D-FW metro-plex, American was the airline.  Living on the east coast, all routes pretty much took us to Atlanta as the hub for Delta.

We try not to let the rewards programs control us, but use them as best as we can.

But the HUGE devaluation of points this year was a big blow, but then so is the economy and inflation in general.

The points devaluation hasn't hurt nearly as much as the cost of gas and food, as well as everything else.

But I see how fortunate we are.  I know from experience where I could be now and where I might be in the future.  There aren't many things that are certain.

"The points devaluation hasn't hurt nearly as much as the cost of gas and food, as well as everything else."

eb, I like that you keep things in perspective...

And likewise to you.  I've marked a lot of your posts as "liked", as well as pluto's and many others who just stand out. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I agree, Eb.  Since it costs nothing to join, may as well join 'em all (and I've got quite the spreadsheet).  I've given up a lot of airline miles by not doing so in the past.  Not anymore.  In fact, every time I've purchased an airline ticket with a different carrier for one of the kids in the recent past, I've signed them up too.  No miles or points that my dollars have earned will ever spin off into oblivion again.  Well, at least not by my doing.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I just had a chance to read this article -- manipulated by fine print fits the way I feel lately.  I agree with everyone that #4 really hits home.  It's sad, but I'm sticking with Marriott for the time being.  Going over to the dark side (Hilton) seems to get more and more attractive, but I am loyal and I do appreciate the clean rooms and personal service when I receive them.  Safe travels!

-Sledchick

thorpy Platinum 11 Reviews

Interesting that this article indicates that all the major Hotel chains (e.g. Hilton, Marriott) changed there rules in early 2013. Seems like some type of anti-trust violation!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...