15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2013 7:05 PM by bpelican RSS

Water Filtration

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

When traveling, do you take some type of water filtration device?  If so, what kind and is there a certain one you recommend?  Being from Hawaii, I'm used to non-chlorinated water that is relatively free of contaminants.  So any filtration system (bottle w/filter, something you leave in your room, etc) recommendations would be appreciated! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Water Filtration
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

wow kharada46, that's a tuff one. I have well water at my place so I only drink bottled water when I travel because nothing tastes right to me, even areas that have drinking water (alot of my travels it is not safe water anyway). As far as bathing/showering, the water doesn't bother me although depending upon the hardness of the water, my hair can be somewhat hard to manage at times. I actually never thought about taking a filtration system with me because most hotels offer free water. This is an interesting topic and hopefully someone has done this or knows of a device to help you out.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

madmax,

Thanks!  Well water must be pretty awesome!  I'm with you, though.  I don't like to drink the tap water away from home.  I was going to go a just buy bottled water up there, but when I found out how much it costs.... well, kind of want to bring a re-usable water bottle with filter!  haha

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Just drink it.....:)  I learned while in places that you can't drink the water from the tap such as Bolivia how much I actually drink tap water even with a filter unit on our refrigerator.

When traveling we usually find a market and buy a 12 pack of bottled water if we will be in one location for a 4-5 night stay, otherwise we will get a large bottle.

Thanks for the tip IAHFLYR

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Wise advice, even when assured water is "OK." 

curiousone Platinum

If you are concerned about actually disinfecting local water, check out http://www.h2gopurifier.com/. This product is still in final testing, but is being developed from technology that was originally developed for the US military. I still have my Miox "Purifier" pen that was originally sold by MSR through REI, Cabella and Bass Pro. You can still purchase the Miox Purifier through Amazon. The Miox Purifier has been proven to kill giardia and cryptosporidium, which chlorine does not touch.

curiousone,

Thanks for the info!  I'll look into it.  What's your opinion on the SteriPen UV water purifiers?  The company's page claims the Navy Seals us it, and at $40-something for a compact system, looks like a winner if it's any good.  Haven't ordered that yet, but did order a couple of Brita filtered bottles simply to have a water bottle and for chlorine scrubbing

UV Portable Water Purifier Systems - SteriPEN

curiousone Platinum

UV is a good disinfectant, but it does not leave a residual like chlorine. I doubt that UV will kill giardia or crypto. Some people will complain about the taste of chlorine. If I have a choice between tasting some chlorine or getting intestinal diseases, I will always go for taste.

This is true.  Supposedly it kills everything, but better safe than sorry!  Thanks again for the great info curiousone!   

kk_z1 Gold 13 Reviews

Just to be safe take those brita Soft Squeeze Water Filter Bottles (or any others that do the same job). This will atleast will give you some satisfaction that you are drinking filtered water while traveling.

Thanks kk_z1.  I fully intend to do so

pointjunkie Gold 2 Reviews

Did you mean to say "non -chlorinated"?  I thought chlorine was for sanitizing swimming pool water.

We've not traveled anywhere that the 'tap water' was unsafe to drink.

Bottled water is ok but if the hotel/resort does not recycle the plastic bottles????

Thanks for the correction point junkie.  But yes, that is what I meant.  I often find that water away from home (for me) has a chlorine smell and tastes foul.  This was confirmed on my last trip, where the only place I ended up drinking tap water was in the restaurant at the Renaissance LAX.  The water had a strong chlorine smell and tasted foul when combined with the food. 

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I have a reverse osmosis system at home and a whole house filter so I never smell the chlorine.  When I am away, and go to drink water it really has a strong chlorine smell.  I use bottled water when available free and have carried a filter bottle that I got at a sporting goods store.  I like Starbucks and they filter the water several times and it is good drinking.  When I stop for a coffee, I ask for a large cup of ice water which is free.

californian,

Wow!  Move to Hawaii and you won't have to deal with that in most parts  

But yes, I noticed my wife's hair picked up a chlorine odor after showering in Anaheim.  It was actually more pronounced there than in France, Italy, Germany, or the UK.  In France I hit the free water in the CL hard!  But in Germany, you had to consume everything in the CL, so no taking bottles back to the room.  We simply went to a market and bought a small pack of water for a few Euro.  And in Italy, the Grand Flora had no CL so it was Brita bottles or buying 1.50Euro bottled water at the newspaper stand!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...