6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2013 11:53 AM by madmax RSS

Marriott points or miles?

madmax Gold 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have been a Marriott Rewards member since 1997 and have always opted for points verses miles. However, I know my points add up alot faster than mileage (ff with AA and UA) so I almost always end up having to pay for flights when on vacation. What do others think about points verses mileage? I know we now have the UA Premier option so maybe this is a mute question since you can transfer without penalty, but would it be cheaper to pay for Marriott hotels per stay verses paying for airline tickets? Sometimes the airline tickets can be pretty steep.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott points or miles?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Tough to answer that question as it depends on personal preference and what you value the most.  For myself and my wife, he hotel points add up much faster than airline miles and the don't disappear as fast as airline miles unless you make an week stay at a high category hotel.  I've always taken the hotel points into my MR account and taken airline miles/segments into my FF account and it all works out just fine for us.  I'd rather spend the airfare money and have an upgrade chance rather than use miles for an economy seat with no upgrade likely.

Don't be too excited about the UA Silver status, make sure to read all the fine print and upgrade/Econ Plus/Premier Access policies.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Yes I've had status on UA before but the only advantage for me was so that I could convert my little mileage left on UA (since I rarely fly them anymore) to Marriott points. If that ends up not being an option as it sounds like it will be, no harm no foul.

Points from Marriott add up alot faster than mileage per trip most of the time so usually have way more points than mileage to use. That makes me end up paying for the majority of my airline tickets. However, it seems more bang for the buck as you might say in taking the points to me but just wanted to put the question out there to see if I was missing something along the way. It seems as if the return for mileage is not as strong as what points are offered through Marriott, thus giving me way more points for rooms than miles for flights. I always fly business when out of the country but the miles still don't add up fast enough to get free flights very often.

Thanks for your insight IAHFLYR. You're a pe...I mean Texan?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

madmax......well done!

And you can certainly burn way more miles flying Biz First or Global First on UA unless you're lucky enough to abscond with the Saver Award.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

not holding my breath on that one

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

Definitely points if you stay at a lot of Marriott brand hotels.  You do not get the elite bonus with miles.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...