15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2013 4:16 PM by painedplatinum RSS

Need 279 Elite Qualifying Points for AA, advice?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi All,

American Airlines is my back up air carrier. I am 279 Elite Qualifying Points away from re-qualifying for Gold status. All my trips are set for the rest of 2013 and no AA flights are scheduled. I'm so close that I'll probably grab my wife's hand one weekend and take a short trip just to reach the 25,000 points. I'm curious if there is an alternative way to earn these 279 Elite Qualifying Points? Are actual flight segments the only way?

Thanks,

The pained One

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Need 279 Elite Qualifying Points for AA, advice?
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

hey painedplatinum. You can actually purchase miles if it is worth it to you, or buy something through the affiliates that will earn you miles. I had been Gold for about 3 years and I did not make my usual flight to China one year due to a death in the family. I called AA up and asked them if they would re-instate my status and they did. Never hurts to just ask if you are really close. Hope this helps.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'd try buying miles, but check to see if they qualify first. madmax has some good tips. Good luck.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

painedplatinum,

Just suck it up and take your wife on a quick day trip even if not a weekend trip in order to reach that level, if not you'll hate yourself next year for not doing it.

I have done a few mileage runs in my time to get the needed points/segments for the next level of status.  One of them was IAH-EFD (all of 23 miles) when CO Express used to fly across town, got my two segments needed and also pocketed the minimum of 500 miles each way.  Another time I did an IAH-AUS turn, meaning I flew into AUS and left back to IAH on the same plane about 55 minutes later.

Just do it like Nike advertisements tell ya!

aaronplatinum4life Platinum 28 Reviews

I agree w/painedplatinum...Find a cheap fare, maybe on a Saturday and take a quick day trip...

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

sorry to say AA says "no more soft landings" so if you are 279 miles shy, aside from getting the Citi AA card and charging up a storm to get 10,000 EQM, it may be easier and cheaper to do a short hop on a USA flight deals (check the web page, they will send you emails with these last minute deals) and surprise your wife, take her somewhere and book a free stay from Marriott and make it a weekend away. Buying miles no longer provides EQM's, so its a mileage run or pray for another double EQM/EQP promo in the fall. I am Plat exec on AA and will be doing a few mileage runs in nov/dec to re qual so I can get the 8 SWU's and use them on the TATL and TPAC's I fly. Good luck and happy flying!

thanks aaron

richard37075 Platinum

Hey Pained, I was just on the AA site and checked out Flight deals this weekend, you can get a weekend trip to MIA out of PHL for $176 roundtrip flying out mid day on Saturday and returning Monday morning.  Wouldn't be a bad weekend trip for you and Mrs. and would certainly get you the miles you need.

richard......so close!! If the same offer was for next weekend, I'd jump on it. Unfortunately, I need to travel on Sunday for another obligation. I appreciate your suggestion. I'll be looking for this same offer next weekend!

richard37075 Platinum

No problem Pained, nothing the next weekend though in your area unless you want to go out of LGA or JFK (and not to anywhere really fun), but they do that every few weeks, so hopefully you will have time to get something lined up for a quick, fun weekend somewhere. 

Good luck.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

stelzer001 gave you the same answer as would I. Three years ago, I did a weekend "trip to nowhere" being 7 segments short of 1K on United. I booked a multi-segment flight from MKE-ORD-IAD-ITH and back using Marriott points for an overnight stay of 10 hours. Even though ORD is my "home airport" I drove to MKE to get the extra segments. To me, 12000 Marriott points and $240 airfare were worth it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...