5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2013 10:50 AM by erc RSS

Travel Brilliantly Campaign

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
The Marriott Travel brilliantly campaign that we were introduced to recently, has matured and generated some fascinating ideas. http://travel-brilliantly.marriott.com/our-innovations .
If you haven't been following, here are some of the ideas (from both Marriott and contributors) and perhaps a good feel for where we might be headed in some areas, which is important for us to know for optimizing our travels. Marriott may not decide to be the leader in implementation of new ideas (or perhaps the new leadership will attempt to be, it will be interesting to observe), as Bill Marriott often said, they don't necessarily need to be the pioneer, "there's a lot of dead pioneers", but they were always well positioned to move swiftly on effective trends, so I would expect several of the ideas presented will in some form, be implemented in the future.
If nothing else, Marriott has become a master of mining data from their customers (mostly one way - although concerns and suggestions have been "appreciated and passed along"). Since my brain hurts from reading all of the ideas (many which I liked), I'll leave it to the baseball story contest players, the hotel review contest players, the Arne's army of 'fan mail from a flounder' corresponders, and the last vestiges of the actual interactive Insiders (and of course merb, the straw that stirs) to carry any dialogue. Using excellent Insider input, I'm off to nuhusker's getaway of Charleston's nearby Isle of Palms for a Rewards free (not free Rewards) beach hangout kayaking with the dolphins (they're not online, yet). Keep on keepin' on, my dying breed of Insiders band of brothers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Travel Brilliantly Campaign
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Safe travels @erc, catch ya on the other side.  We'll keep the fire burning just and let merb stir the pot often.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
      erc Platinum

The smart phone idea was one that caught my eye. Man, pretty soon, I'm not going to be clever enough to stay at a hotel (they won't let me enter the lobby with my 3g flip top alexander g. bell jitterbug phone). Possible new Platinum benefit; someone to let you in your room; or more likely, $10 higher rate for a key .

erc Platinum

A follow up (for the six folks reading, if it was a Marriott stay, I'd make a separate post, but this can be our secret); Speaking of Isle of Palms, a barrier island outside of Charleston SC, we stayed (1st weekend in Oct) at The Wild Dunes Resort secured through a charity silent auction (we'd have bid more if they gave Reward points) and had a very pleasant extended weekend. Walked the streets of Charleston seeing the sights and enjoying dinner on the harbor at http://www.fleetlanding.net/ (casual, but tasty, well prepared, fresh seafood).

Back in nuhusker's haunts of Mt. Pleasant (just across the bridge from Charleston) we had good times and delicious food at http://www.pagesokragrill.com/ and one of his faves http://www.shemcreekbarandgrill.com/ordereze/default.aspx (along with Rudy's in Az. that makes nu 2 for 2 in my book, he knows his food).

Over on the barrier islands  we walked the beach in comfortable 75 degree weather and rode bikes all around the island on well laid out bike paths (the resort had nice pools, tennis courts, fitness centers, golf courses and a general store with - that's right, local craft beers, yeah baby, great for watching the baseball playoffs and college and NFL games). Isle of Palms wasn't big on culinary delights but the nearby (a brief inlet separates the two islands) Sullivan's Island had excellent offerings at http://poestavern.com/sullivans-island/menu/ (terrific sandwiches and burgers) and excellent seafood and salads (and of course Palmetto beer on draft) at http://www.saltstation22.com/.

We kayaked all around the harbor and creek, sighting egrets, storks, cranes, turtles, pelicans (on a sanctuary island where there were literally hundreds and the air smelled like the elephant tent at the circus!) etc. etc. as well as dolphins. Here's a photo taken by a dolphin (since like IAH, I only carry on, I didn't have any camera equipment like our artiste, ssindc).

IMAG1922.jpg

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I think they should expand the overhead bins to allow for kayaks and such.  Great picture buy the dolphin, did you happen to get it's name?

Sounds like you had a great time.

erc Platinum

He said he worked with the Navy and they called him joebellino#1960-27 (he told me his dolphin name, but I didn't understand him)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...