8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2013 12:18 PM by fitzrey RSS

How do you use the Rewards Points?

fitzrey Member
Currently Being Moderated

While I guess we can't be considered frequent travelers, my husband & I are retired and like to do "overnights"  every once in a while just to get away.  Right now we have about 4,000 points and I'm not really sure how to use them. Looking at an overnight in Manhattan in December.  Can I get discounted rates by using my points?     Thanks for any advice!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How do you use the Rewards Points?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

fitzrey,

I don't believe you can find any hotel that has a night stay for 4,000 MR points, the cheapest I have ever found was about three years ago and it was 10,000 points/night.  Anyplace in NYC is going to be a pretty high category hotel and the higher category the more points per night.  Hate to be a downer, but I'd build on those points by paying if possible for your night or nights stay in December, they can build pretty fast and even more so if you have a Marriott Credit Card.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

cruisetraveler Platinum 3 Reviews
    Home > Marriott Rewards > Use Marriott Rewards Points > Purchase Marriott Rewards Points

Purchase Marriott Rewards Points

Please complete the information below. Please note, you will need to provide your Marriott Rewards number.
    Related Links

My Marriott Rewards account
    Use Marriott Rewards Points
    Marriott Rewards Offers
    Shop the Retail Mall
    Join Marriott Rewards
    Program Information
    Customer Support
    Member Information*required
    * Marriott Rewards Number:* Confirm Marriott Rewards Number:

* First Name:* Last Name:

* Email Address:* Confirm Email:

12.50 (USD)

Submit
    Program Rules
    • A member may purchase or receive as a gift a combined maximum of 50,000 points per calendar year.
    • Points may be purchased in increments of 1,000.
    • Purchase rate is 12.50 (USD) per 1,000 points.
    • Please allow 24-48 hours for transaction to be completed and points awarded to recipient.
    • You must be a Marriott Rewards member in good standing to both purchase and receive points.
    • Once points have been purchased or gifted, no refunds will be permitted.
    • Purchasing points with the Marriott Rewards Visa® card will result in earning one point per dollar spent on these transactions.
    All Marriott Rewards Program terms and conditions apply
    Contact Marriott Rewards Customer Support

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I think the card also offers free nights after a certain dollar amount is charged in a certain amount of time, besides offering a lot of points for spending in a certain time period and then for anniversary dates. 

fitzrey Member

We actually did buy points last summer to defray the cost of a nights stay,  Worked out great.  Thank you!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

There is a promo going on right now that you might sign up for.  For most of us, it offers an overnight certificate for a category 1 - 5 after 2 stays.  That means that you will have to stay at 2 places in order to get one for a maximum of 2 certificates.  Sign up to find out what your offer is and / or tell customer service (CS) what you would like if that isn't your offer.  IAH and A+S gave good advice.

Also, if you refer someone to Marriott, signing them up under your name, both you and they will get 2000 points each time they stay for the first 5 stays the first year and for up to 5 people under your name.  If you know someone who travels much, just ask them if they want to be signed up.  There is a special url to go to but you can try just typing in Marriott referral to get it.

BTW, both you and your husband can sign up as members with the other partner signing up the unsigned one and then working under that rewards number first.  It took me a LONG time to realize that.  The points are transferable between the 2, also.  Marriott can't sign a husband and wife under the same number because of rules, so use those rules to help you.

richard37075 Platinum

Another way to earn some easy points is by shopping through the "ShopMyWay" mall portal.  If you do any online shopping anyway, most of the time you can find the stores on the mall.  Use the link below,   Just sign into the page using your Marriott Rewards number, then find the store you want to shop at, and click on the link on the ShopMyWay mall to go to the page you want to shop at.  Then just make your purchase as normal, and you will earn Marriott points.  Keep an eye out for bonus point offers.  You can really rack up points easily doing this.

Earn Points | ShopMyWay

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

You might find these threads/polls interesting - and folks interested in this might participate in the ongoing polls:

fitzrey Member

Thanks everyone for all that great information!  I'm already signed up to that shopping site but never thought of using my rewards number.  Great help from all of you!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...