2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2009 12:56 AM by maximumbob62 RSS

Marriott Hamburg Review

scott_s Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Pros - Unique location and culture; great for mixing biz and pleasure. Consistently excellent service. Comfortable rooms. Cons - Big rate swings depending on local events (is one of first hotels to sell out). Scott’s Summary - This is a 3-star hotel, but it's among the best 3-star hotels I've visited in Europe. Clean, crisp, and courteous environment … you'll enjoy the location, comfort, service quality and convenience. Review I've stayed at the Marriott in Hamburg, Germany on about six occasions, and with complete confidence can rank this location as the better hotels in Europe for it's price range. I am a regular customer of Marriott hotels, with upgraded status, so the rooms I get and the service I receive may be slightly better than some people experience, but you won't go wrong with this hotel. It's an especially good place to mix business with pleasure as the downtown setting on the "Gansemarkt" offers virtually endless upscale retail shopping, dining and people-watching, all within walking distance of the hotel (I think every label in luxury northern European fashion is nearby). It's also an especially good place for American travelers as the hotel staff (as well as most of the people I've met and worked with in Hamburg) all have adequate to excellent English language skills. The staff at the Hamburg Marriot is exceptional; all polite, courteous, neat, and helpful. I'd be very surprised if any guest ever had a disappointing interaction with one of the staff, based on my experience. In my opinion, this is the best of many commendable features of this hotel. Rooms are large by European standards, with deluxe king size beds in the rooms that I've stayed in. I've recently stayed in a fifth-floor room and a fourth-floor suite, and both offered a large, well-lit, marbled bathroom and separate walk-in dressing area. I paced off the king-room (not the suite) at 12 feet by 15 feet, but this did not include the sitting area, small foyer and walk-in closet. I’ve also stayed in a smaller standard room, but it was bigger than other European hotel rooms, and it offered great windows with an interesting city view. Rooms also include an adequate work desk, but get a check mark for offering a USA standard 110 volt outlet along with high speed internet, a speaker phone and a lamp. The internet worked fine, but I used cable ethernet and not wireless. The furniture is new, and in excellent condition. Most rooms will have an interesting view of the vibrant city "Centrum" area. The typical Marriott carpet was clean and in good condition. There was no smell of smoke in my non-smoking room. My room air temperature ran a little warm during a recent cool winter visit, but I just opened the window rather than calling for maintenance. The TV's are nothing special ... standard 25-inch CRT's with only limited English-language channels including the ubiquitous CNN. I've driven and taxi'd to the Hamburg Marriott from the airport, and recommend the cab. It's not an easy drive ... pretty confusing and I would recommend against it if you are unfamiliar driving in Germany. The cab fare was about twenty euros (twenty six US dollars in early 2007) which is reasonable for the twenty minute trip. Traffic is pretty typical for a large European city i.e. it looks pretty chaotic to me! The hotel has parking in an attached underground garage. The fitness center as of early 2007 is fine but certainly not excellent (such as the unbelievable gym at the JW in Houston) because it's a little cramped with limited equipment, but there is a great indoor pool (very large by European indoor pool status). The pool is suitable for lap swimming, and the air and water temperature are maintained at a moderate temperature that avoids the swampy chlorinated environment of less comfortable indoor pools. Fitness equipment includes modern, well-functioning cardio machines (two treadmills, glider and a bike, and only four well-functioning resistance weight machines, plus a flat bench and dumbbells. Spa services are also offered and I've seen people getting treatments on all my visits, but can't speak personally about them. I am a stickler for cleanliness in the fitness center locker room, and the Hamburg Marriott gets high marks. Food in the hotel is tasty, well prepared, priced as expected for an urban hotel (i.e. higher) ... in other words good but not exceptional. There are so many choices nearby it's hard to recommend hotel food, but if you are tired, or it's breakfast, you won't be disappointed. I had the rack of lamb recently and would give it a seven out of ten rating. Breakfast is pricey (fifteen to twenty euros)but is served as a luxurious buffet with lots of choices. Service in the restaurant (and the lounge) is consistently slow ... this is my only negative remark on the staff's service ... but I think it's a European thing and not a service issue. If you catch someone's attention and ask for the check or menu, you'll get it promptly. (For a dining tip - The nearby restaurant "Franziskaner" offers delicious traditional Bavarian food in a very friendly German atmosphere. The goulash is great, and the beer is too! The concierge or bell man can make a reservation and give you walking directions.) If you have access to the upstairs executive "concierge" lounge, by all means use it. Complimentary breakfast, snacks during the day, and heavy appetizers and desserts are offered in the evening. Plus free wine and booze, and good stuff at that. If you are used to Marriott's concierge lounges, you will find this one of the more comfortable, although it's a little small. Again, the staff in the lounge are consistently excellent. One complaint on the lounge, though - no flat screen HD TV for watching sports as is common in the US. The hotel is very convenient to downtown but not to the local aerospace industry near the airport and near the Airbus Finkenwerder facility. I usually like to stay close by my work but this is one case where an exception is warranted. A helpful tip for visitors to Airbus: take a fifteen euro cab to the ferry and then the ferry across the Elbe to Airbus. It will save twenty Euros and thirty minutes. The Marriott Hamburg is a great hotel. I feel completely safe exploring by foot in the upscale location, and the service, cleanliness, and features are consistently excellent. Take it from me ...I spend over seventy nights a year in hotels, so have pretty high standards... you'll have a great time in this hotel. Whether you visit for business or pleasure (or both), you'll leave feeling like it was a memorable European vacation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Hamburg Review
    jenkins Member 1 Reviews
    Great report Scott.  I couldn't agree more.  There is a big flatscreen in the lounge now as well.  It's my favorite place to stay in Hamburg.  You can get the S bahn on Jungfernstieg near Neuer Wall and go to Altona where an Airbus express bus comes every few minutes.  It'll save you a few and if you go early the crowd isn't bad and it takes you right to the ferry.  Hamburg is a wonderful town..

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Hamburg Review
    maximumbob62 Platinum 1 Reviews
    Good review, and very accurate.  The staff at the hotel make it one of the nicest experiences you'll have at a Marriott in Germany.  The food in the restaurant is not particularly fascinating, but since it is right downtown, there is no shortage of good restaurants nearby.  Great place for business, not so much for vacationers. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...