7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2013 4:27 PM by pluto77 RSS

Wine Flies Free

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just ran across a great customer service piece for those who travel to Oregon and bring home wine!! We often travel to Sonoma/Napa and Oregon to visit some wineries and pick out a few varieties in order to make up a case to ship home via UPS or FedEX, but this is a great idea and merb, looks like you'll be getting more visitors.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101050802?__source=xfinity|mod&ticket=ST-17236-Qe9bTlwQZcyyOo175yqCkIdzOVjcf40c9fw-20&rememberMe=null

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Oregon, USA
California, USA
  • Re: Wine Flies Free
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

If they would have included SEA and GEG, I'd be in like flint.  I don't really get the little airports like Walla Walla, Yakima, Tri-cities, Eugene, etc.  when it costs almost twice as much to fly to these as it does to PDX (and all flights to/from these places go through PDX or SEA (but SEA isn't a wines fly free AS port).  I see it working more for folks visiting OR than WA.  (And then again, maybe I'm just a California wine snob .)

Now if Air France would offer this deal from CDG, and U.S. CBP would look the other way...

When I read the headline, I was hoping that Alaska was going to start offering complimentary Washington/Oregon wines and beers to it's economy cabin customers, like Horizon does , but no. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

So sorry to have gotten you all excited over economy beverages, darn!

While it mentions the cities you can fly from and get the free wine to fly for free they don't talk about making connections, so I'm thinking when at the Oregon coast I could fly from EUG-SEA-IAH and be able to fly on AS!!!  Not as nice as a PDX-IAH non-stop but free case of wine I'd think about it. 

Well, but see - and here again is where OR visitors benefit in particular, you would probably be renting a car anyway, right?  So if you're in Florence or Newport or Lincoln, or Eugene for that matter (wine tasting in the Willamette Valley along the I-5 corridor), you could just drive to PDX (where you probably picked up your rental car to begin with?) and fly home for a lot less, I would think

I would not go blind (I know it doesn't sound like me) into that, I'd check the fare differences and also if a rental car drop off fee would apply as some times within the same region it is waived.  Flying into EUG may be cheaper than flying into PDX even with a change in SEA so who knows.  If you live on the west coast this is probably something you would benefit from more than I would in the south, but ya never know.

Since I've already got our tickets on my favorite airline UA () for our trip this year to the Oregon coast guess I'll just have to drink all the great Willamette Valley Wines at the beach house!

It doesn't look like you can even fly non-stop to/from IAH-PDX on AS or even an AS codeshare.   But you can do it with a connection.  Going isn't the problem.  It's coming home with all that PNW wine.  And how much more is it going to cost you than say flying with your favorite carrier?

UA non-stop, $771, cost to check a case of wine, unknown ($25 - $35/case? or free depending on ff status?)

UA 1 connection, $508, cost to check a case of wine, unknown ($25 - $35/case? or free depending on ff status?)

AS 1 connection, $636, cost to check a case of wine - free

WOW you are fast......so I'd get the wine checked for free on UA anyway, except if it was an over sized bag then I'd have to pay a fee for that which could be substantial.  We never check luggage so I have no idea what the over size fee is but I'll check into that right now and be back in a flash!

pluto77,,

Standard wine case is 10 x 12 x 12 and approximately 36 lbs.  So, it's under the over size dimension and weight.....mine are already free!  But it would be a great way to talk the wife into a stop over in SEA for a day at least.

Always have to find a way to the PNW.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...