88 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2013 10:57 AM by jerrycoin RSS

What are you "Grilling this Fall"?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Merb,

Could you share some "Oregon" Fall "Grilling Ideas" with all of us?

I know we will get IAHFLYR with Texas ideas, as "Hall of Famer" Capt. with his take.  How about Pluto, and the other wonderful  MRI posters!

Am currently at The RI, Oxnard, CA (Great review later), and wonderful grilling experience last night at Ventura Marina, "Blackened swordfish", more later!

Could you share your Fall stories?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Oxnard, California, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge
Goleta, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta
Malibu, California, USA
Honolulu Oahu, Hawaii, USA
Zurich, Switzerland Marriott Hotels & Resorts Zurich Marriott Hotel
  • Re: What are you "Grilling this Fall"?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

jerrycoin,

I see you've been busy creating again!  Bravo as summer grilling was a hit, fall should be even better.

I'm going to be doing some tailgatinghttp://www.houstontexans.com/gameday/tailgating/guidelines-and-rules.html  at Reliant Stadium this Sunday before the "Massacre on Kirby" takes place as the Texans play Seattle. I know the bus chef's will have something incredible on the grills both before and after the game so expect a full report after I recover and also after attempting to grill the same at home. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

IAHFLYR,

Wow, that does sound like fun!

Nice to see they encourage "Tailgating", and have a nice list of "Safety requirements" to keep things safe.

Please try to get us a few pictures, as this really is a wonderful idea to "Tailgate".  I think I enjoy that as much as the game.  So many people will watch the game from their BBQ location!

Have a great time!

jerrycoin,

Yes the safety requirements are very much enforced by Sheriff's who wander the lots.  The tailgating has been named the #1 in the league a few times and you don't hear of many issues even for those who wear the opponents jersey out there or inside the stadium.  It's all great fun.

Unless we get close parking to "the bus" which often we do, I won't be taking my phone with me to take pictures as I don't want to take it into the stadium.....so we shall see.  Pictures would be great as they usually have 3-4 grills going, a 60" LED TV for those who remain outside during the game to keep cooking for the feast afterwards, tons of appetizers and of course plenty of refreshments to go around. 

IAHFLYR,

Sounds like a "Great time"!

Totally understand about the pictures!

Have a wonderful time.  Thanks for sharing this information.  It would be a great place for a MRI "Get together"!

jerrycoin,

Tonight was truly fall grilling, temps around 84 at 7 P.M. and we are going to make Italian Burgers!

We are not huge red meat eaters however; after checking out the sodium, fat and cholesterol on both ground beef and ground turkey I decided it was time to grill some beef burgers.  Amazing how much they differ when you are getting 93/7 on the lean side for both options.  Preparation is all about getting a nice burger that fits in the bun, remember not much fat to render in a 93/7 so the size of the patties stay close to the same size as when you made them when you're done grilling them.

We had 1/2 pound of 93/7 ground beef and mixed the following to sit for about 45 minutes in the refrigerator:

• egg white
    • olive oil
    • panko bread crumbs
    • dash of garlic
    • dash of pepper
    • chopped scallions
    • slight amount of Italian Tomato Sauce

After the 45 minutes in the refrigerator I made four slider sized burgers, the grill is nice and hot while the wife is sauteing some mushrooms.  She sliced some onions, tomatoes and dill pickles to go on the burgers when they were finished cooking.

Tossed them on the grill with the burners on high heat, let them cook for around five minutes then flipped them over.  Basted them with some more of the Italian Tomato Sauce and turned the grill down to low heat, then flipped them again after another five minutes to baste them again. 

Next comes the mushrooms that have a great flavor from the sauteing in olive oil and Worcestershire Sauce and we put them on the top of each small burger, the added small pieces of Swiss Cheese to each burger in order to have it melt and keep the mushrooms captured on top of the burger.

Time to dine....put your favorite toppings on it and enjoy......great flavors and the slider size was perfect.

Happy Fall to all!

IAHFLYR,

Now that is a wonderful sounding recipe and dish!

A great way to spend a "Fall" evening in Houston! (Or Anywhere!}

Likewise, I had a most memorable evening after spending the day in Slovang and Bueling, CA.  This past week-end was "Danish Day's in Slovang", and the crowd was still evident today.  It was a wonderful time and especially memorable as the dinner was at a wonderful place to dine, The Hitching Post, in Bueling.  This was featured in the movie "Sideways", but I really don't remember it.  I saw the movie on Delta, going to Europe, but really don't remember too much about it either.

The "Rib Eye" was 22-24 oz. and we split it medium rare.  It was perfect and with a price of $49 it was really a fair price.  The 5 oz. filet was $30, and I felt it is just too difficult to cook a 5 oz. filet M/R? 

I did not see any evidence of the movie being made there, and the place was pleasant, but surely not "Hollywood"!  Seemed to be mostly locals, especially in the bar!

If you get to this area, it is about 30 miles North of Santa Barbara, please make an effort to enjoy it.  You can drive up on Hwy 101, which is along the Pacific Ocean, and take the "Back way" on your return to SB, thru historical vineyards!  Either way, enjoy it all!

IMG_3409.JPG

Just off Hwy 101, maybe a half mile East toward Slovang,

IMG_3411.jpg

That's a "Big Claim" on their sign out front, but there food was impressive.  The staff was most cordial, and the atmosphere was very relaxed.  One tip, they open at 4 PM, for cocktails, and start serving at 5 PM.  I called at 4 for dinner reservations at 5:30, and was glad I did.  They were very busy for an early dinner on Wed. night!

Go to "Google" to get details of the movie, and see what they have to say about the "Hitching Post"!

Location Brand Hotel
      Oxnard, California, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge
      Goleta, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta
        sg1974 Gold

jerry,

great post. we visited this area a few years ago and had dinner at the hitching post, thoroughly enjoyed it.

as you say the place does get busy, they were lining up outside as we were leaving.

We also visited a few of the places that were in the Sideways movie: http://www.santabarbaraca.com/includes/media/docs/Sideways-Map.pdf

SG

sg,

So good to hear from you and have you share your experience!

They did have many tours of wineries, and just about anything you could imagine.  I drove, so I guess I was just lucky to get in.  Like you said, there was quite a few people waiting to get in when we left, so reservations really made a difference.

Hope to see you again next year, and as much as I have enjoyed Simpson's on the Strand, I don't think it measures up to The Hitching Post!

Off to the food store looking for a nice fall evening to dine outside having a meal from the grill.  Could be fish, may be chicken, possibly pork, maybe just veggies and a salad.  We shall see, stay tuned.  My guess is fish or chicken and after being at Weber Grill in Chicago Saturday night for a late night appetizer I'm thinking chicken as the beef skewers we had were fabulous, but enough beef for a week!

P1010920.JPGP1010924.JPGP1010923.JPG

Any recommendation jerrycoin, merb, pluto77 or other Insiders?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

How about a nice ahi tuna steak coated with sesame?  Take step by step photos so you can show the rest of us how it's done!

Well I would have except I opted for the chicken, a slight smoking of it on the gas grill, too late in the day for the smoke machine to get cranked for such a small amount of food.  Tomorrow is grilled Lake Victoria Perch with grilled veggie skewers.  I like the ahi with sesame, so after golf on Thursday who knows what you may find.....but step by step, at my age I'll forget the next step if I am taking pictures!

IAHFLYR,

IMG_0399.JPG

You are so right!  This is a great place, and I will be there this Halloween and can't wait for some "Gobliny Grilling"!

IAHRLYR,  please keep the wonderful posts coming!

For those of you that like grilled food, here's a place in Santa Barbara, CA., that's very good!IMG_3364.JPG

The Wine Cask!  The name says it all.  Very comfortable and reasonably priced!

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

My grilling has been sparse to say the least for the past few weeks.  But I plan on the consumption of mass quantities this weekend... and will ignite our flame pit and char some mammal flesh.

Capt.,

That sounds great!

Enjoy that grill!  I may just be able to get a "Whiff" of your grill here in STL!

Malibu, CA,

If you like "Grilled food" oceanside, try this place!

The Chart House:

IMG_3398.JPG

This is a picture from the front of the place.  You can see the ocean nearby.

IMG_3400.JPG

Sunset from the table at The Chart House, Malibu, CA.

Enjoy the fine food and wonderful view.  Just about 20 minutes South of The RI, Oxnard, CA.

Location Brand Hotel
    Malibu, California, USA

Another of the Fertitta establishments and normally one finds excellent food.  Great view of the coast jerrycoin, thanks for sharing it.

trippin' Alumni Steward Member 3 Reviews

Beautiful place!!!  No amazing barbecue restaurants here in N. Michigan except in my back yard!!  Salmon and Halibut on the grill last week-end and then a nice bunch of pork chops with some dry rub were YUMMY.  Took a few garden tomatoes and cut in half, doused with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and put them cut side down on the grill.  Sprinkled with Parmesan and they were YUMMY!

trippin' good to hear from you and thanks for reminding me of the tomatoes on the grill, totally forgot about those tasty goodies.  Are you at liberty to tell us what was in your dry rub?

trippen,

Some of the best grilled food IS what you make at home!

Tonight I grilled two 8 oz Mahi Mahi steaks and "Blackened" them!  They turned out wonderful.

It is probably starting to get a little "Chilly" up your way, but hope you have some "Grilling" days left this year!

Jerry,

It's never too cold to grill and you know it!    That's when it gets the best even though I have no idea about cold as you know.

Blackened Mahi, excellent way to prepare it, sounds like a menu item we may very well have next week after my Monday of smoking a turkey breast, Pork Shoulder and some stuffed jalapeno's.

IAHFLYR,

Yes, I forgot about "The Capt." and his wonderful picture of grilling in the snow!

Sounds like you have a wonderful week of great food to look forward to!  Going to have a nice grilled pork tenderloin tonight and then go to The Fox Theatre and see Evita!  Should be fun!

Enjoy you wonderful dining this week!

jerrycoin,

Well, both teams are 2-3, both are certainly disappointing their fan bases, it's raining so tailgating at Reliant is a mess I'm sure, the roof will be closed (always is for the noise) and how will the Texans #8 do today with the joint booooooooing him on each incomplete pass or play call (it's Kubiak).......it's only a game Texan fan, get a life!  While I am going to watch it from the couch today I will however; be outside grilling some hot wings and jalapeno's as kickoff approaches in honor of Mr. Coin allowing his team from STL to travel to H-Town and most likely run into a very angry snarly J...J....Watt and Cush. The two A-Guys (Arian/Andre) must have big days or you Ram fan will fly home with a win.

Grill on folks......it's football day in the NFL.

IAHFLYR,

Thanks for the update!

Will enjoy my couch as well!  Then the grilling starts after a short afternoon visit to "The Wine Region", of Eastern Mo.

Should be a good day for football, food and vino! 

Then the week gets better with an Amtrak trip to KCMO, (FF Union Hill), and a wonderful dinner at Jack Stacks BBQ!

What a week this will be!

Enjoy yours IAHFLYR!

Have a great week Jerry, your Ram's sure did a number on our rapidly spiral dive into the toilet!

Let us know how the BBQ was at Stacks.

IAHFLYR,

Had dinner at Jack Stack's at The Union Station in KCMO.  It was very good and very crowded.  Had some BBQ lamb ribs, this was a first and they were good.  However, I enjoy them a lot more in a "French rack"!

jerrycoin.

Oh man, I bet those lamb ribs were something else......going to a friends house tonight and he is famous for his lamb offerings on the grill so wonder if that will be what we get on this evening when it will be in the upper 40's in Houston!

Also, don't leave me out of the Italy/London travel talk tips for 2014.....we will be headed across the pond in early in late September or early October mostly to Italy.

IAHFLYR,

Yes, the lamb was not "Baaa'd"!  I just had too much, as you can tell by my new "Language"!

We all will have plenty to share on Italy and more as we close out this year and head to 2014!

A nice break from the MLB NLCS contest.  JC's Cardinals are looking mighty fine against my Dodgers.  Puig and company have been getting spanked.  Let's see if that LA hip hop, gritty, driving, take no hostages, hard core mentality that is the new norm at Dodgers Stadium (and not a fan of that) will motivate the team to come back from behind.

Now, what to grill this evening?  Wings do sound good!

pluto,

It sounds like the Dodger fans want to "Grill" some red-birds! 

Should be some great games in LA!

If the Cards win, will you let me off-the-hook for the "Fish Taco's" I owe you?

Jerry,

Yes, you've got to watch out for those Dodger fans for certain.  I will let you off the hook for the "Fish Taco's" if the Cards route the Dodgers in the series.  You will have earned it!

Jerry,

Bottom of the 6th, STL up by nine!    Congratulations my friend, World Series, baby!

pluto,

Thanks!

The Cards win is not as important as me getting out of buying you those fish taco's!

pluto, it was a "Heavy Burden" that I am now free of!

Will be trading you travel tips on Italy/London as we go into 2014!

Took your idea and copied it, Iah.  Grilled some marinated wings on the barbie (olive oil, pino grigio white wine vinegar blended with a secret rub - from the grocery store - ) and yumm.  Too bad they didn't do more to stop the routing of RG3 and company though.)  Anyway, thanks for the great idea.

Last night was Sea Scallops grilled seasoned with black pepper and a touch of garlic along with a seared Ahi Tuna that was marinated in a ginger and low sodium soy creation.  WOW the Scallops were so fresh and full of flavor, but the seared Ahi was out of this world.  Recommend this grilled fall menu year round!

Tonight, grilling a Brined Bone in Pork Loin that will be seared on both sides then put on indirect heat, basted every 30-45 minutes with a balsamic and honey glaze until the internal temperature is 140 degrees.  Gotta get started on the glaze and getting the grill hot very soon.

IAHFLYR,

Wow, sounds great!

Let us know how it turns out!

Wilco!!  If it doesn't come out as expected you'll never hear from me again.............

IAHFLYR,

No matter how it turns out, we DO want to hear from you again!

BTW,  grilled some tilapia tonight with a lemon/pepper sauce.  It turned out very good, and used Meyer lemons and capers to garnish!

Again, keep us informed! 

Will be headed to Chicago next week for Halloween and will have some wonderful grilled food each day!

jerrycoin,

The pork was out of control good.....key, sear it on both sides and then drop the grill temperature down to around 220ish degrees and let'er cook!  The Mrs. thought it was the best pork ever then I reminded her of our "Tarheel BBQ"!!!!!

workworktravel Gold 3 Reviews

I love reading all of these grilling stories, what fun posts.  I have a Weber Q 1200 that is currently grilling...nothing, because it's dirty.  I need to clean it.  Does anyone have any advice for cleaning?  Soap and water or should I purchase a professional cleaning solution?

My favorite barbeque in LA is Bludso's barbeque, in Compton, CA.  They opened one in Hollywood but I hear it's not the same; the meat's delivered from Compton, CA.  Most people find Compton to be a questionable place to go to but I love heading over there once in a while for authentic barbecue, which can be a difficult find in Los Angeles.  I used to be in Texas for about 5 years and took the bbq and crazy awesome tailgating for granted.

worktravel,

You were here in Texas and took tailgating for granted?  No wonder you got banished from the state! LOL 

As for cleaning the grill, you can try soap and water however; what need cleaning as I'm not familiar with the Weber Q 1200.  I've got a three burner Genesis Series that is an awesome grill, natural gas and it is doing perfect right now holding at 225 degrees while the pork is getting near the magic number and about ready to take off of it soon.  What I have found with my Genesis is, replace the burners and grill grates, keep the electric starter free of junk and it works like a champ.  This is my third on some 30 years, mind you it is always covered and just lasts for ever.

Good luck on the cleaning and I'd try to avoid any professional products unless you plan on heating it up for a long time to make sure that any solutions are long gone before food is put back on the grill.

workworktravel,

Welcome to the MRI site!  Hope you can spend more and more time on "Travel" and less on "Work"! (That's a Four letter word)

At any rate, not familiar with Compton, but would recommend visiting Santa Barbara (The Wine Cask), or Solvang (The Hitching Post), for memorable grilled dishes.  They are not too far away that a nice Amtrak ride, (With a full picnic basket!) would be a lot of fun!

If I can check my notes, there is one famous BBQ place on the beach in Malibu, but I can't recall it right now.  Will look it up!

Again welcome, and keep us informed of LA experiences!

workworktravel Gold 3 Reviews

jerrycoin,

Thanks so much!  I hope to eventually change to "traveltravelfun" but for now it's more work than leisure.  Thanks for the recommendations, I am a day-tripper to Santa Barbara and I look forward to trying your restaurant recommendations.   

IAHFLYR  I still need to clean my grill but I am off on another work trip to China.  Thanks for the recommendations, I figured that professional cleaning products might be kind of toxic.  Thanks for the tips!  And yes, I do deserve to get kicked outta texas for being too busy to attend tailgates.

wtt, (for now, ttf, in the future!)

There are so many very nice places to dine in SB!  However, a couple of places you would enjoy for an "Ice Cream" snack would be:

McConnell's:  A favorite for many, and a wonderful place to "Star watch"!

The next place is close to the Biltmore Hotel, on Monte

cito Main street in front of the rail road tracks is:

IMG_3311.JPG

Scoop Gelato, down a flight of stairs from the street, it is a wonderful place to "Cool off".  It is close to The Montecito Inn

IMG_3310.JPG

The Montecito Inn is another nice relaxed place to dine!

Enjoy yourself and share with us some of the West Coast activities!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

did u see Oprah?

anadyr,

No!!

Well she has been asking after you--seems she needs World Series tickets

anadyr,

I gave her World Series tickets away!  But did offer to help with a "Hand Bag" in Zurich!  Just down the street from the Marriott!IMG_1495.JPG

Jemoll is a wonderful department store in Zurich!

Insider joke for sure!!!

anadyr,

Yes!

Thanks for your "Perception"!

I hope it was not too "Purse" on al for me to bring it up.  Sometimes in a clutch, you have to bag the idea, and hand-bag it.

anadyr,

Yes, so cleverly put!

I think I will "Snap" this one "Closed"!

worktravel,

Sounds like you just need to toss the old grill in the recycle bin and buy a new one....help out the economy and no worry about having time to clean it up!

Safe travels and catch ya on the other side.

KH,

Have to ask you about a place to dine in Honolulu!

"Helena's"

Never been there but on an upcoming trip, this looks like the place to visit. 

Do you have any experience here?