8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2014 3:23 PM by jack613 RSS

Elite night on paid and points stay

spyder Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I recently stayed at the beautiful JW Marriott on Oahu. I was there for 5 nights and had two rooms. One room was paid for, and the other was paid using points. I did earn points for this stay but I did not earn any elite nights. I was surprised by this, but customer service said this was the rule. I am surprised that when I paid for one room I would not earn any elite nights. Is this correct?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Elite night on paid and points stay
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

spyder

What rule?  You paid for the stay in one room and that was the room YOU occupied, key word being YOU!  I'd toss out the challenge flag and ask for further review from CS.

Maybe merb is able to shed some light on this issue?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

spyder Platinum

The argument that CS gave was a little odd. They said that when one room is paid with points and the other is paid with cash, they assume that the member is in the points room, meaning that the member is not in the paid room and therefore earns no elite nights.

I was particularly surprised since I have done this arrangement many times in the past and earned the elite credits. When traveling for pleasure, I book and pay for my and my wife's room, and then use points to pay for the in-laws. I am sure many people do something similar when traveling with family and I would be surprised if none of them earn elite nights.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

spyder,

You should have earned elite night credits for the paid room.  You would not have earned any credits for the room paid with points.  Hopefully merb will be able to assist.

spyder Platinum

I am really stuck here. Even the supervisor seems determined to not give any elite credits:

"Because the points were taken out of your personal Marriott Rewards account to redeem at the hotel you will not be given the Elite nights even though there were two rooms booked.  I have provided below the Elite Membership Requirements link on the Marriott Rewards on-line site."

I don't see anything in the Terms and Conditions that supports that point.

cruisetraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi!

What I have learned over my years is, you never ,"ASSUME" Marriott should not assume which room was occupied by the rewards member. I guess  we will have to check-out at the front desk to avoid this type of issue.. Thanks for posting this information. Hopefully your account was straightened out.

spyder Platinum

Below is a copy I am mailing to both Marriott Guest Services and Corporate Headquarters:

Dear Marriott Customer Service:

I had a wonderful stay at the JW Marriott Ihilani in Hawaii, and will be returning next month. Currently, I am a Marriott Rewards Platinum members, so I am quite familiar with the rewards program. I have also successfully converted several of my colleagues – previously Hilton Diamond members – to the Marriott program, and they are now all Gold or Platinum with Marriott.

I stayed in a paid room at the JW Marriott Ihilani (see attached folio). Initially, I did not receive any points for my stay, but customer service was able to quickly resolve this via email. I was however surprised when my number of nights stayed did not increase. I again contacted customer service by email and was shocked with the reply.

Customer service and Feliece J in particular, made a surprising argument that despite having paid for a stayed in my room that I did not qualify for elite credits because I also booked another room for my parent-in-laws using points. This simply is inconsistent with the spirit and the letter of the Marriott Rewards program:

1. Clearly, the spirit of the program is to issue rewards nights for paid rooms and not for free rooms. This is well understood by all frequent travelers, is fair, and is also standard with airline programs. In this case however, I had a paid room AND a membership points room, this is obviously no less than only a single paid room. I am a 1K member on United and often purchase my ticket and use miles for my wife’s stick, and I still earn elite qualifying miles (consistent with the spirit of the program).
    2. The Terms and Conditions state “nights personally stayed and individually billed at participating Marriott brand or Ritz-Carlton hotels are credited toward Elite Membership achievement and renewal.” My room was personally stayed and individually billed; therefore, it should be credited towards my Elite Membership.
    3. Feliece made reference to “reward certificate stays do not count toward Elite membership.” This is ambiguous at best. Why when one room is paid cash and the other is paid with rewards would the entire stay be considered a “reward certificate stay” as opposed to a “paid stay” (if you look at my credit card statement I would consider it a “paid stay”). As a contract of adhesion, a court would rule against the party who drafted the contract in an ambiguity such as this.

Points 1 and 2 above clearly layout how both the spirit and letter of the Marriott Rewards program indicate that I should earn 5 elite nights for my stay. Point 3 above is the only defense that Marriott has offered for not issuing any elite nights, and it is simply ambiguous at best and should be considered in favor of the rewards member.

mickeymyat Gold 3 Reviews

Spyder,

I am not sure if the rule have been changed recently.

You should earned Elite night credit for the room with Paid stay (if booked with Marriott directly).

Other room with points redemption does not earn, Elite night credit is expected.

I just have similar booking last weekend and the next weekend planed similar to you (one room paid & another redemption).

I will be really mad, if similar things happen to me...

jack613 Silver

in the end,did they give you elite night credit for the room that you paid for?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...