7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2013 12:42 AM by jerrycoin RSS

London Transportation

titiger Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We have 5 adults visiting London in April, 2014.  What is the best way to get from Heathrow to the Marriott Maida Vale Hotel?  Physically unable to lug our luggage through the Underground.  Appreciate the help!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: London Transportation
    johnaalex Platinum 1 Reviews

I would suggest a cab all the way for 5 adults. The only other option would be the Heathrow Express to Paddington and cab from there, but that could cost more and would be more hassle.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

titiger,

Would you contact the hotel, either by tele or email.  Explain your situation and seek their advice!  Having done the same thing in London many times, the hotel has always come thru!  What they may do is arrange a driver to meet you (With your name on a placard) just as you clear customs (With luggage).  They will walk your group over to a vehicle in the covered garage, and drive you directly to the hotel. 

One advantage, it will cost you NO more than a taxi.  It will be a nice clean vehicle, and you should be able to put the charge as well as a tip onto your room!

Good luck, and let us know how you do! 

Remember that you will all be tired and maybe a little "Disoriented" after a long flight.  It is important to make that first "Step" easy on all.  The price will be well worth it!

If you need phone numbers or email addresses, go thru the "Hot line"!  Lastly, it is better to contact the hotel during business hours during the work week.

Good luck!

sg1974 Gold

you could get the heathrow connect to paddington & then a short taxi from there.

https://www.heathrowconnect.com/index.asp?SID=%7BA011A837-0135-4F28-8D4D-74B6752D0CEC%7D

this is a cheaper option that heathrow express if time is not an issue.

or as suggested you could get an idea from the hotel for the taxi fare from heathrow.

here is a general guide of taxi prices from heathrow:

http://www.london-heathrow-taxis.co.uk/pricelist.html

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I think it's a bit more complicated than what's been said here. As I found out two months ago when going between the Park Lane Marriott and St. Pancras station, the black "London" cab does not have a trunk and we had to put our 4 rollaboard's in the front seat and every open space in the  back.

Taking the Heathrow Express from the airport will mean hauling the baggage around (they don't call it "Luggage" for nothing), up and down stairs and then on the train, so that may not be an option.

My suggestion would be 1) like Jerry said, call the hotel and have them make a recommendation, although it's going to be more expensive than booking it yourself or 2) do a search for limousine company's that will pick you up in a van.

When I saw that the train would cost us 20 pounds each for the four of us and that a cab would be about 75 pounds, I searched for a limo company and found one that charged me 80 pounds and picked us up in a Mercedes S class, which had plenty of trunk space for all of our stuff.

titiger Platinum 4 Reviews

Thanks for the help.  Contacting the hotel directly is probably the best way to go.  A young entrepreneur in Londaon ought to start up an "Airporter-like" service that runs the hotel routes.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I suggest booking via a private car service. the largest is a company called "addison lee" http://www.addisonlee.com/

I have used them and found them reliable, using regular passenger cars (suv and minvan is available as well). You can price them out on the web and reserve in advance for pick up. One word of caution, they ask for your flt # and I suggest you give them posted flt arrival time +1 hour to collect luggage (carts at Heathrow are fee and plentiful) and depending in your arrival timr the immigration line can be 30 to 45 mins long. Good luck and safe travels

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

titiger,

There are such services! 

You best source will be the Concierge at your hotel!

One word of caution, The Maida Vale is NOT that easy of a place to get to unless you get a direct ride from LHR.  Please review what Mike has shared with you.  You cannot imagine how much aggravation you will save yourself by having someone in London assist you on your commute to any hotel you choose.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...