17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2013 12:46 AM by anadyr RSS

My daughter is applying to colleges.................

Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

(Disclaimer - this is meant to be comical)

My daughter is applying to colleges!  

Am I the only "idiot" who immediately went to the Marriott site to see if  Marriott's.

s were in close proximity?  

What is a father to do if the closest property is 30 minutes from campus  should I check into a competitor wearing a trench coast and dark glasses?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: My daughter is applying to colleges.................
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Oh no, you should only walk into a Marriott in the dark glasses and trench coat so they won't know you're a Marriott Elite and you may get customer service accidently!!!!

Disclaimer....not meant to be very funny more so true for some, funny for others.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

misterchk,

Please don't take iahflyr's advice or do either as I'm afraid if you were wearing that you might be questioned by the local authorities about any past history of deviant behavior on NY subways...

Of course depending on which college we're talking about, it might behoove you to wear a sweater and cap with the university's mascot on it and hire a 250 lb 20 year old to follow you in and say "Hey Coach... What time is practice this afternoon?"  In some parts of the southwest, that might get you a comped suite!!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

Text from daughter (during Northeast college visitation trip sponsored by her high school) 0 "Dad, Yale won't be a problem - there's a Marriott across the street!!!!!"

I must have laughed for an hour!

kk_z1 Gold 13 Reviews

LOL... you guys are great... we were thinking of a visit to Vancouver and I was looking at Marriott/residence inns (my brother told me dude you can get better deals with the condos/apartments they have there)... too much loyalty to marriott's (all for nothing)... haha

Platinum 28 Reviews

(ADDITIONAL WAY TO EARN POINTS listing on Rewards site)

Suggest to your kids they only attend institutions of higher learning that allows the tuition charged to a Marriott Visa

erc Platinum

We actually have some Virginia schools that do allow you to charge (George Mason for example) but of course they tack on an extra % to cover the credit card fee.

I had a colleague who got an Executive MBA from BYU - Marriott School - MBA Program, but no points (I think they said he could have breakfasts at Fairfield Inns whenever he stayed there).

tphinsider Silver 3 Reviews

I have to admit it is one of the first things I checked out after my son got into college.  Lucky for me there was a Fairfield Inn @ 3.5 miles from campus and a Marriot Hotel @ 1 mile from campus.  Makes the decision to visit him easier.

Platinum 28 Reviews

tpharkman

(I started this by saying this subject was comical)

It shows you where our  priorities are - we spend thousands sending our kids to school and the first question we have is...."where is the closest Marriott !!!!" (a person can NEVER have too many points)

MORE COMEDY (This is true and happened a few weeks ago):  My daughter was with her school visiting colleges in the Northeast - I receive the following text:  " Dad, YALE won't be a problem - there is a Courtyard across the street from campus" - I HOPE ALL INSIDERS USE ME AS A ROLL MODEL FOR TEACHING HIS DAUGHTER THE PROPER VALUES  (lol)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Be sure and tell the admissions office that you'll only consider those schools with the big M nearby, not Mickey D's, but Marriott.  I think that and a one million dollar endowment normally works for most schools.  We sent our daughter to Linfield College, which ois located in McMinnville OR, and within a 45 minute drive of four Marriotts.

The hotel provided limo service to and from Campus made up for the distance however.  Who knew they had that kind of thing?   Maybe I imagined that.

Anyway, good luck to her, and remember it's not the points but the status that matters most!!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

anadyr

I have my fingers crossed that she will choose one of two schools that she's been accepted to already in Oregon  - Lewis and Clark, and Willamette. 

Stayed at a wonderful Residence Inn in Portland - but finding a Marriott brand near Salem isn't as easy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...