13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2013 4:52 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Travel Insurance - careful.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I purchased travel insurance from AAA, which I had recommended before.  While on a Glacier Bay day sightseeing cruise, the boat developed a mechanical problem.  There was no cell service.  After a 4 hour delay, all 102 of us had to be rescued by a cruise ship. I got back 5 hours late.  As a result, I missed my flight to Seattle.  My flight was on Alaska Air and on AA ticket stock.  When I missed my flight, Alaska canceled everything on the record locator.  When I called Alaska, they told me that I had to call AA.  When I called AA, they could not help me.  I had to get to Seattle.  I ended off having to pay last minute full fair, and didn't even get upgraded.  The cost for a 2 hour flight was $700 + a $15 ticketing fee + $25 to get on an earlier flight.  AA charged me $150 to reinstate the Portland home ticket.  So I had close to $1,000 additional cost.  The insurance didn't cover much.  They considered this a trip delay since I had to spend a 2nd night in Glacier Bay.  It didn't meet the requirement of a missed connection.  I was told that this would only be covered if I had a traffic accident or weather.  It was suggested that I read the complete packet listing what was covered and for what reason.  They paid $200.  At this point, I am not happy with travel insurance.

painedplatinum GemPrincess pluto77

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Travel Insurance - careful.
    cruisetraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi!

I understand this fully. Vacations are suppose to be relaxing and enjoyable, not frustrating and costing you more money. I never took travel insurance until about 5 years ago. I was on a cruise and someone needed immediate emergency surgery . The ship docked at a port and let that person off with her companion. We were not in the U.S., therefore your health insurance does not cover you. This person had the expense of surgery, housing expense for the companion and everything else that goes along with it. Even your flight home is at your expense. I now take out travel insurance, but before I pay I always ask them, what doesn't my policy cover. I have them send me that page or pages if necessary.  Also, what is not covered I check to see if it is covered by my credit card. Hopefully your next vacation will be more enjoyable!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

If I had read every letter in the fine print, I would not have thought to see if it covered a missed connection due to a mechanical problem with a boat.  You learn when it is too late.  I read an article about this becoming a problem for travelers.  Most airlines state that if a flight is not canceled a day in advance and you don't make your flight, the ticket has no value.  Others have had to pay that horribly high full last minute fare.

cruisetraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Thanks for your advice.  You may save alot of travelers time and money, including myself! I am planning a cruise and final payment is Monday, yes I took the travel insurance out. I read through it and asked questions, but not the specific one that happened to you. I am going to call them back and see what my options are. My interpretation of the travelers insurance words maybe different than what they actually mean, as I am not a professional in reading contracts.

The main reason that I take out travel insurance is for medical and med-vac. In Glacier Bay, there is no doctor, unless on vacation.  If one needs one, one must be flown in or you flown out.  One way or the other, the cost would be high.  However since I had insurance, with supposedly good coverage, I found that I didn't when I needed it.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

californian

After you told us this travel story I did check my insurance I purchased for my frequent flyer trip to Rome.  I bought it on the United Site when I did the transaction for the frequent flyer mileage.  The Letter of Confirmation is from Allianz. According to the document, it says an incident like this is a trip interruption, and I am entitled to

1) extra cost of single accomodations if traveling companion cancels, is interrupted or hospitalized

2) transportation cost to either final destination or a place where I can continue my previously planned trip

3) Expenses for staying longer than I planned

4) maximum of $100/day for 5 days

GP,

The catch is #4, max of $100/day.  Initially they thought my max was $150 and paid that and upon calling back they noticed that my max was $200 which was more than normal so they paid the extra $50.  Upon reading the coverage, it sounds good but that max is a real limit.

AAA also uses Allianz.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Cali,

So sorry to hear about your trip. That is terrible!! Thanks for the heads up. I certainly assume the insurance I use would cover your situation, but I'll bet not after reading your post.

I wonder if the cruise ship, with pressure, would compensate you for the extra expenses. I'm sure they won't just volunteer, but under threat of suit, they just might.

The point that I was trying to make is that you buy insurance thinking if something happens, you are covered and find out that you are not.  AS I said earlier, if I read every letter of fine print, I would never have thought to look and see if I am covered if a boat develops a mechanical problem.  Unexpected things happen.

I am sure that I don't need to say, it was very upsetting.  I also blame the airlines for taking advantage of a stranded person.  I understand that they need to make a profit but not this way.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

californian,

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident.  Thanks for sharing this with everyone.  It does pay to read the fine print!

jep2020 Gold 1 Reviews

A comment from Marriott on this subject and their travel insurance would be nice.

I can not emphasize enough how important good travel insurance is.

In my opinioin MEDEX is the best, and I always carry them for international travel, even if I have bought the airline insurance for the flite, and the cruise ship insurance on the cruise.  Usually my MEDEX policy is < $100 per trip and worth every penny.  What I like best is the 24 X 7 Emergency phone number, and case management with translation into 38 languages.  Another benefit I like is in addition to Med Vac back to the US, if you can not be moved due to medical or legal reasons, you can bring your own team to you for care.

http://www.medexassist.com/Default.aspx

I just did a quote for my upcoming trip to cover a weekend in Italy, and ports in Spain and Portugal for 10 days (leaving the sea days to be covered by the cruise insurance).

Totals TravMed Abroad TravMed Choice TravMed Global
    $40.00 $39.98 $47.00
    • (mm/dd/yyyy)
    • (mm/dd/yyyy)

TravMed Abroad TravMed Choice TravMed Global
    Medical Insurance Coverage: Yes Yes Yes
    Medical Insurance Coverage Limits: $100,000

$250,000
    Deductible: $25 per incident Per policy:

Per incident:

Includes Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Program: Yes  

Included in the $100,000 medical insurance benefit.

Yes  

Separate $100,000 benefit for medical evacuations and $20,000 for repatriation of remains.

Yes  

Included in the $250,000 medical insurance benefit.

Includes 24-Hour Assistance: Yes Yes Yes
    Includes Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Benefit: No Yes Yes  

$25,000 included in the program and separate option available to add additional $100,000.

Additional AD&D Coverage Available: No No Yes  

$3.50 per person per week
    $25,000 included in the program and separate option available to add additional $100,000.

Coverage for Controlled Pre-Existing Conditions: Yes Yes No
    Duration of Coverage:

90-day trip max.

Up to 365 days

2 week minimum
    26-week maximum
    Age Restrictions: 86 and under No Age Restriction * 71 and under
    Optional Hazardous Sports Coverage: No Yes  

Provides coverage for sporting activities such as mountaineering, bungee cord jumping, scuba diving, and spelunking or caving. Does not include coverage for participating in bodily contact sports, skydiving, hanggliding, parachuting, heli-skiing, or participating as a professional in athletics. Refer to the program details for complete information.

Not available to residents of Washington State.

No
    Frequent Traveler Plans Available:
    No No
    Trip Cancellation: Yes  

Enter the per person trip cost (U.S. dollars)

Minimum coverage $300;
    Maximum coverage $5,000
    Price 6% of coverage requested

Must be purchased more than 10 days prior to departure and is non-refundable.

Close

TravMed Abroad

TRIP CANCELLATION AND INTERRUPTION BENEFIT

The Insurer will pay this Primary benefit up to the Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule of Benefits if a trip is delayed, cancelled or interrupted for the Covered Person, due to any of the following Unforeseen reasons:

1. Sickness, Injury, or death of a Covered Person or Traveling Companion. Injury or Sickness must be so disabling as to reasonably cause a Trip to be delayed, canceled, or interrupted. If the Covered Person must cancel or interrupt the Trip due to Injury or Sickness of a Family Member, it must be because their condition is life threatening, or because the Family Member requires the Covered Person’s care. Cancellation due to the death of a Family Member is covered only if the death occurs within 30 days of the Covered Person’s Scheduled Departure Date.
    2. the Covered Person’s Home/primary residence being made uninhabitable by fire, flood, vandalism, burglary or natural disaster.
    3. the Covered Person or a Traveling Companion/Family Member being subpoenaed, required to serve on jury duty; hijacked or be quarantined or required by a court order to appear as a witness in a legal action, provided the Covered Person, a Family Member traveling with the Covered Person, or a Traveling Companion is not 1) a party to the legal action, or 2) appearing as a law enforcement officer.
    4. being directly involved in or delayed due to a traffic accident en route to departure.
    5. military duty having leave revoked or being reassigned within 10 days of departure date.
    6. being called into active military service to provide aid or relief in the event of a natural disaster.
    7. a Terrorist Incident in a foreign city to which the Covered Person was scheduled to arrive within 30 days following the incident.
    8. an employer-initiated transfer of employment within the same organization of 250 miles or more.
    9. cancellation of scheduled public transportation as a result of: riot, civil commotion, Strikes, hijacking, natural disasters, motor or railway accidents that were unknown at the time of booking the reservation.
      “Covered Expenses” means: 
    1. before the Scheduled Departure Date, the lesser of:
      1. the cancellation charges imposed by a Travel Supplier for the Trip;
      2. the cost of substituting a travel arrangement not provided due to the Financial Insolvency of a Travel Supplier to enable the Covered Person to take the Trip; and
      3. all sums prepaid to Travel Suppliers for the Trip that become non-recoverable due to the Financial Insolvency of a Travel Supplier; or
    2. after the Scheduled Departure Date:
      1. the greater of either:
      2. the amount of the unused, non-refundable prepaid air arrangements which formed a part of the Covered Person’s Trip; or
      3. the fare paid, less the value of applied credit from the unused travel tickets, to return to the Covered Person’s place of permanent residence or to continue a Trip limited to the cost of one-way Economy Airfare, by a scheduled carrier from the Destination point to the point of origin shown on the original travel tickets; and
      4. the cost of any unused, non-refundable Land and Sea Arrangements prepaid to the Travel Supplier for the Covered Person’s Trip.

Please review the program language for exact details.

(Details

$ Enter the amount of coverage requested per person (in US dollars) Must be purchased more than 10 days prior to departure and is non-refundable. * * *
    No Yes  

Enter the per person trip cost (U.S. dollars)

Minimum coverage $500;
    Maximum coverage $10,000
    Price 5% of coverage requested

Must be purchased more than 10 days prior to departure and is non-refundable.

Close

TravMed Global

Trip Cancellation

The Company will pay you up to the benefit limit selected on the application for the loss of unrecoverable deposits or charges paid in advance, due to the necessary cancellation of the entire trip prior to the scheduled departure; provided that the Covered Injury, Sickness or death giving rise to the cancellation begins within the Period of Insurance.

Trip Curtailment

The company will pay you up to the benefit limit selected on the application for either; (a) any additional reasonable transportation and/or lodging expenses for the emergency return trip home; or (b) the balance of unrecoverable trip costs; whichever is lesser, provided that the Covered Injury, Sickness or death giving rise to the curtailment occurs after your trip commenced and prior to the termination of the coverage as specified on the application.

Trip Cancellation and Curtailment Benefits may also be applicable if a Covered Injury, Sickness or death are sustained by the insured Person’s traveling companion (named on the application), immediate family (spouse, children, mother, father, sister, brother) and immediate family in-laws. See Exclusion A.

(Details

$ Enter the amount of coverage requested per person (in US dollars) Must be purchased more than 10 days prior to departure and is non-refundable. * * *
    Lost Baggage Protection: Lost Baggage Protection  

This option provides protection only while your baggage is checked on an airline. Only enter the number of days your baggage will be checked and not the total number of days of your trip. For example, if you will be taking a 7-day trip, but your baggage will only be on a plane for one day on your departure and one day on your return, you would enter \'2\' in this box.

Enter number of days on common carrier
    Maximum Coverage: $1,000;
    Limit per article: $250
    Deductible: $100
    Price: $2.50 per person, per day that baggage is checked on common carrier
    Coverage only valid while bags are on common carrier.

Close

BAGGAGE AND TRAVEL DOCUMENTS BENEFIT

The Insurer will reimburse benefits up to the Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule of Benefits subject to a $100 Deductible per loss. The Insurer will pay for all direct loss due to accident to the Covered Person's Baggage, passports and visas, during the Covered Person's Trip, while checked with a Common Carrier.

Continuation of Coverage: If the covered Baggage, passports and visas are in the charge of a charter or Common Carrier, and delivery is delayed, this coverage will continue until such property is delivered to the Covered Person. This coverage does not include loss caused by the delay.

Destroyed/Damaged Baggage: The Insurer will reimburse the Covered Person up to the maximum shown in the Schedule of Benefits for damage to Baggage on a Common Carrier during the Trip. The Insurer will pay the lesser of the following: the original cash value of the item less depreciation as determined by Us; or the cost of repair or replacement limit per articles - $250. If receipts are not provided, benefits may be reduced.

Lost Baggage: The Insurer will reimburse the Covered Person up to the maximum shown in the Schedule of Benefits for loss of Baggage on a Common Carrier during the Trip.

The Insurer will pay the lesser of the following: the original cash value of the item less depreciation as determined by Us; or the cost of repair or replacement limit per articles - $250. There will be a combined maximum limit of $500 for the following: jewelry, watches, articles consisting in whole or in part of silver, gold, or platinum; furs and articles trimmed with or made mostly with fur. This benefit includes the contents of the Baggage.

Payment of Loss: We will pay the lesser of the cost to repair an item, or to replace it with an item of like kind and quality. We will pay, in cash, the cost of repair or replacement of the Covered Person’s damaged Baggage, less depreciation; or at Our option repair or replace the Covered Person’s Baggage.

(Details)

* * Days:

Enter # of days on common carrier Coverage only valid while bags are on common carrier

Global Emergency Travel

This is a company that a friend uses and likes.  One can purchase Med-evac for an entire year regardless where one is and then add trip cancellation for a reduced price.  Any opinion?

I am not familiar with Global Emergency Travel not can I get to their site as our company filters are blocking that website.

All I can say is that I am familiar with MEDEX as a customer since I have used them for the last 10 years, and also as a teaming partner with other travel companies.

Their value statement says it all

• The world’s leading, wholly-owned medical, safety, and security solutions company, allowing you to Go Further and Do More
        • 34 years of proven experience helping travelers in over 200 countries and across 6 continents
        • Over 20 million people are in our care each year
        • Ability to communicate in over 38 languages, with access to hundreds more, ensuring effective case management
        • An unparalleled network of 59,000 credentialed medical and security resources

They also offer other services

• Medical Evacuation & Repatriation
        • Security/Political Evacuation
        • Online Intelligence Tools
        • 98% customer retention rate, reflective of our outstanding service

and the Travel Security company my friend worked for that was Teamed with Medex had as clients most large corporations and international organizations.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...