This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2013 9:52 PM by NathalieF RSS

Stop

blava007 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

communitymanager

This website brings greater value to it's members if we continue with asking questions, a real discussion, requesting information, etc;; Thus move the hotel reviews OFF THE FIRST PAGE ONCE FOR ALL.  Members will find the hotel reviews with Search,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Stop
    erc Platinum

Although I believe Marriott has killed the idea of sliding the reviews into their own section, I will toss one final suggestion/idea;

How about something like the link below - where all of the reviews are placed in one topic (group, section, whatever it's called). Each time a review (the same as the photos below) is completed, the topic goes on the activity board and Insiders can view to their interest level (like the photos).

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1501

blava, you're not alone in your thoughts - below was the forum's first attempt in early August, with the Marriott response, so our enthusiastic support apparently wasn't enough to 'carry the day' with the tech team, which I believe might have been outsourced    Marriott International to cut ‘hundreds’ of HQ jobs - Washington Business Journal

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/87569#87569

Correct Answer by merb  on Aug 4, 2013 12:06 PM

Really appreciate the thoughtful suggestion, painedplatinum! I will share your post, and everyone's enthusiastic support, with the tech team.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

They definitely have outsourced.  We can expect even more problems now than we have in the past.

That could be part of the reason our benefits have been shifted off to UA.   No jobs here means no money to spend by our citizens.  Trickle up doesn't work.

The jobs here in this country are being eliminated by corporate America so they can get their golden parachutes and then put the money in off-shore accounts (IMO).  They are destroying this country.  Tech jobs are no longer even available here.  My husband is old and has no practically no backup for what he does.  The Indian techs don't work the hours that we do business since they get off word about the time my husband goes on.  They've (India's IT as well as US) suggested that he work their hours.  Ridiculous!!!  US businesses here are on our time frame and not India's.

I knew Marriott was going to that when the renovation crews (Team Marriott) couldn't speak English but were contracted out to a person who would hire the cheapest labor.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

blava007

I agree with your point.  There should be a separate section for hotel reviews listed by location.  I cannot imagine anyone reading through all of the posts on hotel stays - just for fun.  The best value of this site is travel discussion and not a daily random list of hotel reviews.

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

Does anyone belong to a similar discussion group/blog/forum under any other hotel chain?  I'm not talking about FlyerTalk or similar, but one that resides within the hotel chain itself.  I think MI may be unique in that sense.

However, I do feel there is room for improvement.  I do feel there are ways around the issue as merb pointed out, but it seems this site has everything lumped into one big bucket.  Most forums (like flyertak.com) have sections for different topics that are clearly identified and grouped.  Sometimes I feel MI doesn't have that same concept, even though it does...

Kudos for Marriott for giving us this forum and here's to continuing to improve it to suit the needs of the members!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. I can certainly explore removing reviews from the homepage widget to instead focus on discussions - since reviews are sectioned off (The specified item was not found.) and its the activity that appears.

I did want to pass along another tip that may be helpful What’s the difference between tracking and following content?

When you're signed in, you can take advantage of two actions, you can "follow" content, sections or even blogs to see that activity within your personalized activity feed (Activity | Marriott Rewards® Insiders), or you can "track in communications" so you'll actually see notifications whenever there's new activity of interest. Depending upon your email preferences, if you're tracking threads in your communications, you may even receive an email notification of the latest activity - but you can change that personal preference for email notifications at any time to receive more or less How can I adjust my email notifications?

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

NathalieF - with all due respect, the site is still overwhelming despite the sectioning off of topics/discussions/reviews. Nothing stops a person from creating a hotel review inside a discussion; nothing stops a user from asking a question in a hotel review, etc. There simply are way too many "buckets" of information where this site is overwhelming to new or seasoned members. Case in point - I can browse "Groups and Topics" and then select the tab "Topics"  only to see a page that nearly fills the screen with different topics: Destinations, Travel Tips, Marriott Rewards, Community Help and Support, Community Suggestions, etc.In fact, of the 14 listed, care to guess which one has the most followers (an indication of this site's interest)? --> Marriott Rewards with 194, an almost 3:1 ratio of the second-most.

Right now, under the Discussions tab, the first row contains:

1. a "callout-question mark" - a Travel Tips question not yet answered
      2. a "double-callout" - a Spirit to Serve (unanswered, perhaps?)
      3. a "callout-check" - a Spirit to Serve with a correct answer
      4. a "double-callout" -  Spirit to Serve (unanswered, perhaps?)
      5. a "callout-check" - a Marriott Rewards with a correct answer

Look at the inconsistencies between icons and groupings - a navigators nightmare.

All valid points pingreeman... there isn't currently a clear hierarchy between the sections of the site as you've described. But we are currently working on a new site-wide navigation that places more of an emphasis on the main forum areas (Marriott Rewards, Destinations, travel Tips, other Topics) and the subcategories within them. There will still be other sections like Spirit to Serve, Stewards, Roady Awards, etc. but they'll be linked to from other places. We'll soon have a preview for the community in Community Updates blog.

We're working off of a concept we floated past the community earlier:

The specified item was not found.

Spark Results: Community Navigation Elements

By the way pingreeman, we're glad you and many other Insiders share our passion for continued improvements. While we haven't reinvented the wheel, we've made a great deal of changes over the last several years based upon these types of conversations. So thanks for the feedback and for continuing to participate as the community progresses.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

INSIDERS.....should be a site where the visitors can go to the front page and find INSIDERS experiences in travel that engage us and generate discussion and banter that informs and is enjoyable. THAT was the original intent with this site as I remember. Hotel reviews that encumber PAGES are a distraction from discussion, informative banter and help we might seek (and now never get an answer to). If we want to know about a hotel, we'll find that review. It doesn't have to be forced on us just because we signed on. It should be EASY to find a SEPARATE AND DISTINCT page (meaning the hotel reviews NEVER post on the front page) for hotel reviews that doesn't clutter, distort and confuse those that visit.

This site has become so encumbered with hotel reviews that it is very aggravating to have to search so hard to find topics of interest where we can all contribute to an experience where everyone can help anyone.

Closing this thread but we've updated the non-review activity that appears with our maintenance release tonight: Re: Increase in number of hotel reviews

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...