7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2015 1:00 PM by vaboywnder RSS

Weekend Stays in Crystal City (Arlington, VA)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

For those Insiders who are familar with the Crystal City area near Regan Airport know that hotel parking can be very expensive.  Both Crystal City and Crystal Gateway Marriotts range about $25-$30 a day for parking alone.  Prior to my Labor Day weekend stay at the Crystal Gateway Marriott I decided to do a little research and see if there was other less expensive or free options for parking in the area.  Both hotels have underground access to the Crystal City Metro Station and the Crystal City Shops.  After doing some searching online I discovered the parking garages for the Crystal City Shops (1750 Crystal Drive) offers free weekend parking (including overnight) beginning at 4pm on Fridays and also Free parking on Holidays.  This worked out really well for my weekend stay.  I parked in the garage Friday evening and took the elevator to the Crystal City Shops which has signage that leads you to the Metro and both Marriott properties.  So enjoy those cheaper weekend rates in Crystal City and the free parking!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Crystal City, Virginia, USA
  • Re: Weekend Stays in Crystal City (Arlington, VA)
    marcell Gold

Hello Vaboywonder,

I posted something similar about the meter parking on Monday under the heading "Parking at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, (Crystal City) VA".

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hey, good stuff, Vaboy.

In the past couple of years, I have gotten pretty good at finding free parking (or greatly reduced pricing) nearby the hotel properties (which charge for parking) that we stay at, even overseas.  For me, it is totally worth the time and effort to uncover it as well as the little bit of extra walking involved.  The property at my last stay (and a Springhill Suites no less), charged $20-something/day for valet parking.  There was no overnight parking anywhere around the hotel (only flat rate lots that expired at midnight - why the lots were empty at night) and metered parking that prohibited any parking from 2am-5am.  A little bit of searching uncovered free street parking about a quarter-mile away.  A few short, easy walks put about $50 back in my pocket.  This was in Oceanside, CA.

There is also free street parking in Monterey, CA on weekends when staying at the Monterey Marriott.  Same with La Jolla Marriott and Del Mar Marriott, Costa Mesa Marriott, Irvine Marriott, Newport Bayview Marriott, the list goes on.  In San Diego's Gas Lamp District, there are a couple of parking garages that charge waaay less than the hotel parking too.  There's some walking involved, but to me, it's well worth it.

I'll bet you can find free parking at the Burbank CY and Burbank Marriott too...

Zoom, zoom!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

pluto77,

You are right sometimes its worth a little bit of extra time and effort to try and find free or discounted parking especially for leisure trips.  Daily parking fees can add up quickly!  As you know that I like to take a lot of weekend trips to Northern VA and many of the hotels there charge for parking.  So most of the time when visiting Northern VA I'll stay at the Courtyard Dunn Loring (located across from a Metro Station) or the Fairview Park Marriott (Falls Church) which are both well run properties that offer free parking

It's funny that you mentioned Burbank.  My last stay at the Burbank Marriott I used points and certificates to pay for my stay and was expecting only to pay parking fees for the stay.  At check-in the front desk clerk informed me that I was chosen as the "Guest of the Day" which meant I was upgraded to a suite and given free parking.  Extra nice perks for a points stay!  BTW..the Burbank CY  offers free parking and is still a Cat 5 property.