2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2013 11:44 AM by iahflyr RSS

America's Oldest Brewery

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

DSCN1112.JPG

Founded in 1829 by a Stuttgart immigrant, also named Yuengling, this brewery is the oldest in the US. It is regional and even sold one variety, Porter, during

Prohibition as a medicinal (prescription required) item.  Though beer takes 28 days to make, the day Prohibition ended a truck loaded with their beer departed Pottstown PA

for the White House!

DSCN1128.JPG

There are two free tours on weekdays too.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA
  • Re: America's Oldest Brewery
    erc Platinum

Back in the day when as they say, "we wore a younger man's clothes" and were missing our dearly departed Washington Senators (baseball and Ballantine) and grudgingly shifted to the Orioles (Natty Boh), we DC youngsters used to consider Yuengling, Iron City, and Rolling Rock as imports.  Yuengling remains a tasty lager (especially draft) and because of its economical price (often a case can be purchased on sale for less than $16) the college kiddies like it.

Aah, the days of dreams and little responsibilities.... reminds me of the baseball beer joke (corny alert). Famed reliever Milt Famey had saved the previous night's game, so not expecting to be called in, relaxed and popped a few Schlitz in the bullpen. Well, the Senators as they were known to do, blew a four run lead and the game was tied in the bottom of the ninth with the bases loaded. Hoping to go extra innings, the manager called in ace reliever Famey, who proceeded to come in and walk the first batter he faced on four straight pitches, leading to the tagline; Schlitz, the beer that made Milt Famey walk us.      Thank you ladies and gentlemen, I'm here all week, be sure to tip your waitress.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: America's Oldest Brewery
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I was made aware of Yuengling during my many visits to Philly and South Jersey over the last 10 years.  I am not much of a beer guy but actually enjoyed the lager better than most, bravo anadyr for the memory.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...