9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2013 11:03 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Just imagine.....

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

...... you have 2 Delta Airline domestic free companion tickets, one economy and one economy or first class.  You also have 3 Marriott Category 4 hotel certificates and 1 Category 5 certificate and enough points to stay 2, 3, 4, or 5 nights (depending on the Category).  You like visiting new places as well as returning to favorites to see and do new things.  You need to fly from south Louisiana.  Accumulating lots of airline miles is a bonus.  WHERE would you go?  WHERE would you stay?  WHERE would you dine?  WHAT would you see?  Help me plan these 2 upcoming trips, please.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
United States
  • Re: Just imagine.....
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I'd say you need to take the New England trek as it will soon be coming into fall foliage season. We flew into Burlington, VT and stayed in Stowe at a bed and breakfast. Then into New Hampshire and stayed in Fairfield Inn, N. Concord (Mt. Washington drive to top); next to Mass Courtyard Cape Cod Hyannis to see Nantucket Sound/Martha's Vineyard; to Connecticut Mystic Marriott Hotel and Spa and splurge a bit (oops this is now cat. 6 but there are other hotels in the area), a great seaport area with fine fresh seafood everywhere you look. I would recommend Mystic Aquarium and we visited a cool winery there as well. We flew out of Rhode Island, visiting 7 different states in 9 days so this was just some of the places that included Marriotts. We stayed at alot of bed and breakfasts as well. I don't know if you have ever taken a fall foliage tour or if that is your kind of trip, but we are scenery peeps and this was awesome for us. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi, Madmax.  Your suggestion is a wonderful one; however, we have gone "leaf-peeping" the past 3 Octobers.  We started in Washington D.C. the first year.  No beautiful leaves, but we had a fabulous time.  We try to visit D. C. every other year at least.  The next year, we went to Niagara Falls and the surrounding area.  Once again, we had a fabulous time; however, we were told that the foliage was not as pretty as usual because of the weather in the summer (don't remember if it was too hot, or too cold, or what).  Last fall, we headed to New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine.  We saw a few absolutely gorgeous trees, but were about a week behind the peak foliage.  One of these days, I hope we can go back for several weeks so we can chase the peak foliage.

North Conway tree.JPG

I'm sure I wrote reviews of these trips and they are somewhere on the Insiders site.  Thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful suggestion.

P.S.  I'm a OKC Thunder fan, too.  The local fans were great when the Hornets played in OKC after Hurricane Katrina.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Yes I remember now you posting about New England, sorry. I loved it so much I wanted to recommend...

I really enjoyed when the Hornets played here. I hated when they left actually. At that time I had no idea we would ever get a pro team of our own. If the Hornets hadn't used our facilities, I am sure we wouldn't have, but they were so liked and built a fan base very quickly. The Thunder was our first stab at a full blown pro anything.

I hope you get some good recommendations for your next trip. Been to Alaska? Great place to cruise. Don't know how many Marriotts there are in Alaska,but as you have probably read from many insiders, Seattle Marriott is great place.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I like the New England idea and that's a great place to go, but, as I recall, didn't you do a New England foliage junket a year or two ago? I would do a Southern CA junket to Palm Springs (Palm Desert) where there are a number of Cat 4's that are good. It's a fun area in fall and beyond and there's a lot you can do.

I'd also look at NYC for another spot. There's a few Fairfields that can be used for the Cat 5 as I recall and for points also. The subway there is really easy to get around on.

As another alternative, I would try San Fran (and stay out by the airport). The BART is really nice and easy to use to get into the city and the city is great!

Eats?...that's a whole different deal and depends on where you go but the above gives so many choices they are a can't miss for chow!

When you pick a spot there will be many offerings from the MRI gang I'm sure!

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

"You need to fly from south Louisiana..."

And leave the Redfishing, Gulf shrimp, Creole and Cajun food, good jazz & zydeco music, and duck hunting?  Are you insane man?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Razorbackfan,

I can't think of anywhere w/in the U.S. that you haven't been. Especially for using Cat. 4 certificates. Here are a couple of things that might help:

If you scroll down to the 2013 posts, this thread may lend some ideas:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/82856#82856

I also attached the 2013 hotel rewards category changes, which may also give you some ideas.

Let us know what you come up with, and if you've the time, I would love to hear about your summer Europe travels.

Hi, Pluto.  Thanks for the link about the Cat 4 hotels.  I'm still trying to catch up reading posts since I didn't read any for 7 weeks and I had not seen those.  We have been very fortunate to have visited a lot of places in the U.S., but still have a few destinations in mind.  We had a wonderful summer trip to Italy, Belgium, The Netherlands, and Norway and I'll be happy to share our travel stories soon.

richard37075 Platinum

If you happen to be a wine fan, Napa/Sonoma area would be a great place to visit this time of year.  A lot of vineyards are in the middle of the harvest, and throwing lots of special events.  There are quite a few Marriott properties in the 3, 4 and 5 category.  You also have quite a choice of airports to fly in and out of to best fit your schedule.

As I am writing this, I'm not sure what effect the wildfires have had on the area, so I would definitely check this out but hopefully all is well.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Richard,

Napa/Sonoma sounds like a great place to visit this time of year!

Thanks for your recommendations!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...