9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2013 2:58 PM by eb5147 RSS

The Marriott Brand should be represented at every property.

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A fellow MRI posted a review of the Fairfield Inn in Detroit/Warren/Sterling Heights earlier this week. The review mentioned dirty & stained carpeting & bed linens and bed bugs. 

It was distressing to read, as I am and have been for many years proud of the Marriott Brand & the standards that most of Marriott's properties uphold every day. But, the review kind of stayed in the back of my mind & later I went on to read all of the MRI reviews of this hotel. I know it is enough to say that a MRI rating of ONE AND A HALF STAR says it all. The time span for these reviews is October, 2012 through August 2013.  I wanted to see what the traveling public thinks about the standards of this hotel & went to Trip Advisor.  Even more distressing reviews dated as far back as September, 2007 were pleading "Please close this place down" & citing concerns about cleanliness & bed bugs. Trip Advisor overall rating is 2 1/2 stars.

I have worked for many years with a retail corporation that has Brand expectations very much like the Marriott Brand. I know it can sometimes be difficult to deliver impeccable Guest Service every day from every team member. However, to allow conditions such as fresh & clean accommodations for Marriott guests to remain unaddressed for six years is completely unacceptable.

It is offensive to the Brand, to everyone that trusts in and cares about the Brand and to the people paying good money to stay at this property. Now I will say again that these conditions are overwhelmingly in the minority.  That fact does not, however, make it acceptable. There are other properties with similar issues, many of those appear to be older & overdue for renovation.  I get that economics dictate a lot of those decisions, but delaying years after a facility no longer represents well is irresponsible. It is irresponsible to all of those Marriott Team members delivering everyday and takes the "shine" off of Marriott every time someone encounters these kind of conditions.

Respectfully, I post this question: "Who reads and who reacts to Hotel reviews on MRI & sites like Trip Advisor?"  If I am concerned about conditions like this being unaddressed, I would like to think there are people within the Marriott organization that are downright incensed.  Thoughts? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Warren, Michigan, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn Detroit Warren/Sterling Heights
  • Re: The Marriott Brand should be represented at every property.
    erc Platinum

It's funny that you should post these thoughts, just this morning I was asked by some friends what I thought of the

Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard  

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/marriott-hotel-reviews/wasny

for staying overnight for an upcoming weekend Washington Nationals game. My initial reaction was, "well when I walked through the relatively new property it was very nice looking, let's look at the reviews". Wow, 4 out of 8 rated it terrible or poor, many complaining about crowd control on weekends. We therefore passed on that property and they went elsewhere, but it got me thinking about how many other similar bad property performances were out there and whether or not Marriott actually tracked, ranked, and addressed them (since customers do).  Let's toss this one to the NathalieF and see what situation is (I mean if the forum is going to be bombarded daily with hundreds of reviews, you would think someone at Marriott is at least observing *).

*I, of course, can't pass at the opportunity to state my displeasure of the current method of listing every review (as demonstrated above, regardless of its intrinsic value) on the Activity Board pushing discussion topics out of sight, out of mind (yes, I've read the recent andygram about juggling the positions, but old dogs and new tricks etc etc ).

Good post 77paris, thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

Before this moves off the discussion radar, NathalieF or future responder hall of famer merb, can you guys shed some light on 77paris' question?  Is there any Marriott observation/action plan on properties that score poorly? And if so, without sharing proprietary info, what is it?  For me it's essentially a curiosity question, rather than my call to action for Marriott.  I wouldn't utilize a poorly reviewed property until newer reviews came in reflecting the turnaround, but I am curious if Marriott line managers are informed of these reviews or whether the numbers are insignificant to be material enough to act upon. Thanks.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

They've all been suspiciously quiet for a few days, all except exceptional merb, wonder if they are off getting her Hall of Fame presentation ready!

I've seen NathalieF lurking as he posted the great news regarding the mobile app check-in, just no reply to my questions as yet although it has only been about 18 hours ago.

I also am curious about the reviews and at what rating level the hotel gets the news they've been poorly rated so they can start damage control?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Looks like there are a few questions brewing in the thread...

Is anyone from Marriott monitoring member reviews (and what happens to the reviews)?

We can assure you that many folks are monitoring member feedback, from customer care, brand management and even GM's. Some in the community have even noted how they've been contacted by customer care to resolve issues and concerns with a recent stay.

What happens with properties that are poorly rated?

Depending upon what the member feedback has been, a property could work with folks from operations, brand management or even Rewards. But we'll essentially come up with an action plan to correct any concerns.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Thanks for the fast response, I'm hoping for a GM contact from a recent stay to ask what the heck were they thinking or not thinking is a better way, we shall see!

erc Platinum

Good to know. Thanks and welcome back.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Yes, and how about the reviews for a place that's closed.  My husband drove by the road to TPS in Montgomery, AL a week or 2 ago and noticed the sign was covered with a plastic temporary sign that said it was a Crestwood.  They never would have had the room for the breakfast room makeover, so I was wondering how that would go anyway.

Are the reviews removed when the hotel is closed?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...