23 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2016 5:33 PM by iahflyr RSS

Scrub Island Resort

philadelphian Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone had success booking using Marriott Rewards at Scrub Island Resort in the British Virgin Islands?

I see no rewards availability for at least the next year. If the destination won't book award travel, then in my opinion, it should be removed from the list of hotels where one can use points.

Anyone have any experience in this regard?

Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Scrub Island Resort
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Yep, I booked a five night stay using points and upgraded to a 1 BR suite using cash in January.  My only issue was the cash upgrade on the resort site showed the upgrade rates from 2012 when I booked the trip about six weeks ago.  I called the hotel directly and asked if they had an updated list fro 2014, they told me the rate and poof all taken care of.  Now we can't wait for January to arrive and return to a very beautiful peaceful area.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

boldie24 Platinum 1 Reviews

My wife and I stayed on points last December for 5 nights and also upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite (living room, full kitchen, and huge balcony overlooking marina).  Well worth it.  If you want to chill, go here.

I would call Marriott Reservations and see if they can find a slot for you with points.  Otherwise, just keep plugging away with different dates.

BTW we also stayed at the Ritz Carlton on St. Thomas for 5 nights on the same trip.  Fabulous resort as well.

homoviator Platinum

boldie24,

did you do the upgrade with points or $ and do you remember how many points/$

Upgraded with $$, can't remember how much it was.  Right after they opened and they did not offer the points option (upgraded when we checked in).  Was well worth it thought.  Insane view off balcony, big rooms, kitchen, bath.IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Good stuff....and huge balcony.

boldie24,

Did you get into the Governors Suite that is about 1300 sq. ft. and the balcony that seems to run forever in building 17?  That's what we had last time and it was a special spot as you mention.

philadelphian Gold 1 Reviews

Thanks to those who wrote to offer your insights. Marriott Rewards customer service also responded to a request to them; they suggested I contact the hotel directly. When I did, they were very helpful, offering some attractive upgrades. First saw Scrub Island when sailing in the BVI last summer and it looked fabulous. Most likely will book something next summer - I like it when it's quiet in the BVI. Again - Thank you.

rpillar Platinum

My wife and I booked a stay at Scrub island for at the beginning of March using points.  We are looking forward to this trip because we are celebrating her successful recovery from breast cancer treatment.  We plan to do some scuba diving and relaxing!  we will post about our experience when we return.

Awesome news on the successful recovery for your wife, you will love Scrub Island.  Try and get a room in Bldg 17 if you can, best view of sunsets and the Caribbean on the island.

I can't remember the name of the company but the resort partners with a group that you can rent boats from.  They deliver in the morning and pick up at night.  I got a 16 footer and bombed around the island and Tortolla all day, great time and value.  Check it out, I will provide the name if I can. 

You will have a great time.  Fantastic place to just chill.

You can ask the resort folks for the name of the boat rental company.  We found the 25' center console to be very sea worthy when out in the open water going from Saba Rock and Virgin Gorda as the water between the islands can get a bit rough, and oh so worth the $$.

C&D Powerboat Rentals

P.O. Box 2905, East End, Tortola

British Virgin Islands

Tel: 1-284-495-2646 or 1-284-542-9104

Email: http://www.cdpowerboats.com

Yep, that's is the gang alright and they are top notch.

flynhokie Platinum

Boldie & IAH,

Any estimates on the $$ you paid for rentals?  I'm looking at going down for my 10 year w/ my wife, and budgeting things out right now.  I'd be interested in renting a boat, some fishing, etc.

Thanks,

FlynHokie

flynhokie,

I want to say for about a 25' center console like we had it was something like $500 for the day and included gas.  If you get fishing equipment and Captain that of course will up the ante some, but both times we rented from them I was the driver of the boat and of course my wife was the "Captain"!

Give the resort a call and find out for sure, they have a U.S. number listed on the resort site or used to anyway, but you had to specifically ask to speak with the resort if I remember correctly.  I will also DM you to give you an email contact there on site if she still works there.

Hokie,

I just found some email trail and the last company we rented from was TRC and they say gas was not included however; I sure don't think we paid anything additional at the end of the day.  And the boat was a 23' Contender for $550/day.

flynhokie Platinum

Thanks for the Info IAH!  Pricier than I thought, but still seems worth the $$

Just in case you need incentive!!

Scrub Island BVI

Scrub Island Trip 2014

flynhokie Platinum

Excellent. I'm getting more and more stoked about this, especially w/ the price.  Flights to Tortoga are $520 round trip!  With Marriott Points for the stay (180K) this could be a very inexpensive 'stay' with more money to spend on the excursions/food!

If you get into one of the Suites they have a full kitchen so you can go shopping on Tortola and cook your food if you're into that, especially if you catch some fish!!   Nothing against the food at the resort, just more fun for us at least to do that.

flynhokie Platinum

Sounds great IAH.

FYI - started a new thread on things to do on Scrub Island for more ideas - so as not to hijack old thread.  Really appreciate your feedback!

Apologies for getting behind on feedback.  Rate on the boat seems about right but definitely worth it.  As IAHFLYR says, just call and they can send a rate chart for diff boat options.  We had a blast.   Also concur on getting a suite with the full kitchen, definitely worth the upgrade for us.  Shopped both in town and the store on the island.  Great trip.

boldie24 glad to hear you had a great trip, now how about a few pictures and quick review?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...