47 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2013 3:56 AM by eb5147 RSS

Upgrades for Platinum Elite

jgonzaleshou Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

So, this is a question for those with Platinum Elite status? How often do you get upgraded? Do you have to ask for the upgrade or have you been surprised and the hotel has upgraded you automatically?

I've been a Marriott Rewards member for 10+ years and I've less than satisfied with the 'benefits' of being a Marriott Platinum Elite. I was a Diamond member on Hyatt and received upgrades all the time without ever having to ask. Not just a room w/ an upgraded bed. I booked a queen/king room and was upgraded to a huge suite.

I just feel like Marriott doesn't quite value their most loyal members as much as other brands.

I just wanted to get other people's perspective on upgrades, etc.

Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Upgrades for Platinum Elite
    missgee Silver 40 Reviews

It seems to be a question of training and/or property policy.  Some properties will upgrade you without you even asking.  Others will make you ask.  The moral of the story is, ask and you shall receive.  If they have it available, that is.  If it is important that I receive a specific room, I will book it.  Otherwise, I let the chips fall where they may, and/or ask at check-in. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The better question may be, what determines if a room is considered an upgrade?  I've heard some room upgrades may be to a corner room, farther from the elevator, higher floors, CL floor, suite, larger room size and the list goes on and on.  I'd also bet it varies widely from property to property, whether a resort or a JW and so on and so forth.

Thoughts?

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

I agree, iahflyr

...  If you read the TOA, it may be about anything better than what you might get, which means it may not be an upgrade at all.  I ask for an upgrade and get one at the CY I'm currently using with last week being a full suite... Too much room for me...  So I'm happy if they give me something close to the elevator with a balcony.  I've stayed here enough that they usually give me a "usual" room on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th floor with the last two numbers within a range of 3... When I check in, I ask them to show me the room number and if it is not one of the x37-x39 numbers, I ask where that room is (if it is a much lower number, I want to switch.) It boils down to asking... open your mouth... If you have status, they will work with you if they can.  We want to have the DYKWIA attitude and get things without asking.  But that does not always happen.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Don't even think you will get an upgrade on points - even if you are PP for 9 years in a row. Higher floor, a view different than the parking lot, a corner room, just as IAHFLYR suggests.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

I honestly don't expect an upgrade on points.  I do remain hopeful, however. 

brianok Silver 1 Reviews

I've had a different experience than most as a gold.  Twice in Toronto (Ritz and Residence Inn Downtown) I received an upgrade to a corner suite and 2-bedroom suite, respectively, when booking a room on points without asking.  I suspect the issue is more of popularity of the property and timing.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Yeah, but that's Canada for you.

We got to go to Toronto with my husband years ago when he was "taking a class".  I made a complaint about something and when we got back to the room, there was a note saying I was customer of the day.  There was also a big, cello wrapped basket of fruit and a Hershey's chocolate cookbook.  Now how could anyone stay mad at that hotel?  Some PR pros they have, right?  (I'm thinking it was a Holiday Inn high rise.)

dejamo Platinum

Don't even worry about it.   

There is no rhyme or reason.

Your results will vary,   not valid on Thursday's before noon,  void where prohibited, this hotel owned and operated by Honey Boo Boo............... not indicative of actual results,   etc.etc........etc.etc...........

RUN AWAY NOW LUKE !!!!!!!!

COME TO THE DARK SIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE HAVE FREE COFFEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   YOU DONT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mi97tbird Platinum 33 Reviews

i am a Platinum premier and have to ask.(beg) It should not be this hard

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I think most of the above are valid points (regarding just because its a suite doesn't mean it wasn't an upgraded room). I find that I get upgraded to rooms on the concierge level without asking, I have receieved "larger" rooms, at two recent visits (Princeton Marriott Forrestal and Newark Airport Marriott) I actually received extra pillows and towels per my profile! I have to say, I am pretty happy with what I have received. If people walk into a property expecting a suite most of the time they will be disappointed. While I agree front desk staff often don't care or automatically upgrade you, but if you politely ask at check in you have a very good chance of getting what you want. 

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

KS77: you are way luckier than me, as I have stayed at both of those properties as a PLAT in the lasy 1-2 years and even asking for an upgrade, I was told sorry, no such upgrades available. Not even pointing out the PLAT status (earned the hard way, thru stays) nor by asking nicely and politely. Like others,my upgrades tend to be few and far between and often, I need to ask to speak to FD manager before I even get any notice that I should be able to obtain an upgrade. Now with all of the UA recirprocity, I guess it will be evn harder. 2 more nights (next week in Chicago will make that happen) and I am plat for life, then I can try to see if the grass is really greener at other chains

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Sorry to hear that...that really does sound pretty lousy...my guess on my good luck would be that since my stays were Friday and Saturday they were probably "off peak" so there were rooms available.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

KS: having 2 youngins at home means that except for vaca, which isnt often enough, I travel m-f and check in on M and leave on F or any days in between. Upgrades are peak then, doesnt seem to matter what time I check in (3PM gets no better chance than 9PM for any upgrade). If the property is 99% empty, I seem to have a 1% chance for an upgrade. If Marriott wonders why my rez have fallen off a cliff after next week, they need look no further than the downgrade in bennies and lack of  proper treatment to me and others who travel like me. It is truly sad.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

That stinks and you are totally justified in feeling that way.

stelzer001,

Sure looks like there will be many more unhappy loyal members wandering off as you and many others have done already.  The sad corporate culture is driving us off the red "M" pretty fast these days.

john14727 Platinum 1 Reviews

Hi All,

Two weeks ago, I was In Quebec City For the weekend. I received an upgrade to a very nice suite. Labor day weekend, I was in Quincy, Ma and also was upgraded to a suite. I travel frequently on weekends, and more often than not, I am upgraded to suites on weekends at Marriotts and Renaissance hotels. Not much of an upgrade available at the other Marriott chain hotels.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

At the hotels I use the most (JWM in Bangkok, Mayfair in Bangkok, Royal Garden in Pattaya, Courtyard in Salt Lake City) I get Platinum upgrades every time. The only place I have to ask is at the SLC property. The 3 in Thailand tell me right up front that they have upgraded me.

nacho Platinum 2 Reviews

We have to ask every single time at check-in for upgrades. Most of the time they said, 'we have already upgraded you to our executive floor', once at Heidelberg Marriott, I booked an executive room and I asked if there is any upgrade, 'we have already upgraded you to our executive floor'. I was totally speechless - seriously? Once in a while we got lucky that we got a suite but it was really rare. Upgrades in the US is hopeless, very often we got 'we are totally sold out tonight' as answers, maybe we are staying at very occupied hotels.

I don't pay much for the rooms and I guess maybe that's the reason why we hardly get upgrades.

The funny thing is that we stayed at IHG on points in the US, we got upgrades almost all the times. When we check-in, the first thing FD staff said was like, 'thank you for being a priority club platinum member ......'. I do like the appreciation of having me as a member. I got upgrade even on their 5000 points PB promo - on extended stay hotel to full service hotel. The FS there even gave us lounge access, all for 5k PC points.

It's hard to say about upgrades.  I know that at the CY we stay at in Cola., SC; there are no upgrades (so I've been told many times there) for us even though PPE, LP.  The upgrades are for corp. only, which is the mainstay of their business, so I can understand that.  We get the corp. rate there that includes the breakfast buffet and they still have free coffee (or did last month).

We usually get a CL without asking and in HH, SC last Mar 14, 2012 when we had a week stay in a Charleston, SC timeshare for the next day, we got an ocean view, top floor room that I know was an upgrade just for the view alone.  They also gave us free self parking, points, and a welcome gift, congratulating us on being PP.  Nice!!!

Dallas, TX Ren. has always gone the extra mile to make our stay enjoyable without our mentioning anything.  They also let me take the old Dallas sightseer book that was being replaced as a souvenir.  They're like a wish book on places to shop.    And we have always gotten free breakfasts.  (I don't know about that with the new changes.  I hope to find out soon since my mother is in a nursing home or hospice in Lancaster.  It's just too hot right now since my son is susceptible to heat stroke since he got one in Phoenix almost 2 decades ago.)

But, we always get really great treatment at the IHG timeshares as Nacho mentioned, and we're at the lowest priority elite level there.  Always stay on points, of course, and get our choice of treats, even daily if we want to go to the welcome center and special checkout at the same getting more snacks for the road.

Nacho, I know a Nacho in CA, nickname for a husband of a distant cousin.

dejamo Platinum

Whats fun is to check in,  ask for an upgrade to a suite,  Jacuzzi room,  larger room etc..... and be told one of their lame excuses like "we are sold out tonite,  there are no more available etc....".

Then go to your room,  call the hotel directly from your cell phone, and ask them for the same type of room you wanted for an upgrade.  99% of the time,  the room is available guaranteed !  Of course the manger will tell you we are sorry when they call you back in a day or so.........here's a free breakfast on your next visit........maybe we can spring for you to have a free cup of coffee since you are a P or PP...............

But of course,  more often than not,  you will get the same propaganda from corporate when you complain to customer care,  were are sorry,  but this hotel is a franchise, and independently operated..................blah blah blah blah blah..............

How do I really feel ?

I let my $$ do the talking...............

dejamo,

I can attest to that same treatment during our one night stay at the Houston JW, what a joke and complete pile of rubbish when I got to the "upgraded" room.  The upgrade part was a corner room, oh boy when the hotel occupancy was around 50% when we asked the front desk while checking in that afternoon.  I still haven't heard from the hotel after my review gave them a nice 1 star for the upgrade and a few other issues I found totally wrong.

See what you have done now, got me to create a rabble on Monday, can't wait!

dejamo Platinum

My mother always called me an instigator.

I hear that Martirots are calling me another choice word,   but in all fairness,  I have not seen it in writing yet..........just some emails floating around I hear.

Oh well...........to each his own...............................and to my own.............I walked.........................

I agree.  That is bad.  And when you get the upgrades at the other chains, it's even more of a reason to criticize Marriott.

With some of our time shares, we be upgraded if they have the rooms available within a certain number of days being called and first come, first served.  It looks like hotel chains like Marriott could do the same.  The main difference is that nightly stays are more likely to be last minute than weekly stays or other multiple nights so they never know when they can rent those out at the higher prices, but the fact that you've found at least one chain that will do it in order to reward their better customers says volumes for those chains and little for Marriott.

lsb57 Platinum

Platinum Premier, 901 nights, 2.5 mil points.

Got upgraded ONCE at Marriott Marquis in Miami to a (very nice) suite. Same hotel offered free breakfast for all 4 of us (2 adults, 1 kid, 1 baby) on both days. Another time - Marriott Miami gave us a 10$ card for the coffee shop.

Other than that, we do receive high(er) floors (but not extremely high) most of the times.

davea1 Platinum

I can't remember the last time I got an upgrade.

We shouldn't have to ask - this defeats the whole thing.    I don't want special service because I demand it - I'd like to have my hotel show me respect when I walk in the door.

DaveA

Lifetime Platinum Member

I think that's what most of us want.  Some of the other chains actually do that a lot better than Marriott, which used to be one of Marriotts strong points to get it where it is (from what I understand).

Some Marriotts are still good at it.

One of the problems might even be that when we're upgraded, they don't even mention to us that it is an upgrade.  I've had that happen SO many times.

dejamo Platinum

Problem is,  you, like others continually say what you feel, and want.

Since polls are so popular with this establishment,  you would think that some actual polls by someone with the authority to make change would be asking the masses what they want,  (in a cause and effect kinda world), and actual benefit or at least a serious dialogue would occur.

Has anyone seen any over the years, besides a breakfast poll ?  I mean, come on,   Really ?   Breakfast ?    And what did that get you ?

I don't really say what I think all the time.    What I say is what I think, but I have to veil some of my responses at times because the fact is that we have a LOT of benefits through our timeshares and AAA plat.  My son and I stay at other places a lot, IMHO, but not as much as some of you. 

It's so funny that my last response to you was rejected because I typed it in Spanish.  You said Thanks (I thought, but can't find it now) and I said "De nada" or "of no importance".  Then I said "Vaya con Dios."  Those two things were all I said and it was rejected.  So funny!!  Who has heard the song "Vaya con Dios"?  Who doesn't know what "De nada" means?  I know that just about anyone from a Mexican border state knows what they mean.

Letting your money do the walking / talking is the way it should be.  I usually do that, too.  We've certainly had enough problems here to do that.  But we have a lot of things here, so we'd be moving, literally.  And, also, the rate we get here has a huge impact for our having a 2 BR, 2 bath, and little kitchen suite.

Now talk about someone with the ability to do things talking to us, I had that happen once in Atlanta, but not in the matters that you're referring.  The Ren  Concourse was always billing us for the 2nd night for BOGO.  After calling the mgr., he rudely said I wasn't the person to talk to and then asked to speak to my husband, who he immediately put on hold after my husband took the phone.  Then he was really upset.  As I was going for breakfast when in the CL, a man asked how I was doing.  Anyone who doesn't want to know shouldn't do that with me.  I told him everything, and our room was completely free that weekend.  So nice of him.   

Book_Worm Platinum 8 Reviews

Well, I just emailed the Anaheim Marriott Suites, where I will be staying this week. I am a platinum premier member. I will let you know if I get a response, and if so, how the visit turns out. Thanks for encouraging me to contact the hotel ahead of time.

Book_Worm Platinum 8 Reviews

As a follow up, I will check in within the next two hours, but I just checked my reservation details and it looks like I was updated to an Executive suite. Thank you again for the encouragement to contact the hotel, and I am optimistic that I will have good news to report once I get to the hotel!

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I almost never ask for an upgrade, but when the hotel has a good number of suites, I have often been upgraded to a suite without asking--recent examples: Minneapolis Marriott City Center, Madison Marriott West, San Mateo Marriott, and Renaissance Boulder.

I did ask to be upgraded to a suite with a balcony at The Cosmopolitan and the front desk did it for me.

Great!!

Any secrets, like weekend or weekdays?  Off season? 

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

The only secret I know about getting upgrading to a suite is picking a property with a lot of suites.  I typically select a property based on (1) value for the rate, (2) location and (3) how nice the property looks.  However, I do look at how many suites they have if I am trying to decide between several properties.

San Mateo Marriott has 325 rooms and 151 suites so if you are not getting upgraded to a suite there, Gold and Platinum members probably have a good reason to complain.  The Minneapolis Marriott City Center has 493 rooms and 90 suites so I expected to get upgraded to a suite and I was.

I think if a property has 30 or more suites (I am not sure how common that is), you probably have at least a decent shot of getting upgraded.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I just read this on USA Today. To those of you who think simply jumping to Hilton is the best plan I think you will be supremely disappointed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2013/09/09/loyalty-program-changes-irk-frequent-business-travelers/2789567/

"Frequent business traveler Joyce Gioia, for example, calls changes in Hilton Worldwide's HHonors program "the worst travesty perpetrated on loyal guests" by any frequent-guest program."

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

And here's the reality. For every Marriott member getting fed up and leaving for Hilton, there is an HH member fed up with Hilton and moving to Marriott.

And they know that.

I was Gold for years on Delta and got fed up with not getting the perks I wanted. So I switch to Singapore and was Solitaire for years. Got fed up and went to United. Now I'm 1k. And getting fed up.

I went to Perth a few times. There is no Marriott so I stay at Hilton. I show them my Marriott PE card and they upgrade me and automatically enroll me in HH. Why? To get me away from Marriott, obviously. And I'm quite sure if I did that after a year or two I would start to see the same kind of problems we all experience at Marriott from time to time.

The grass isn't always greener, although it seems that way.

Platinum 28 Reviews

My feeling is that there is no consistency. 

I have arrived at properties that were obviously experiencing a slow night and no attempt whatsoever was made to accommodate a Platinum Elite or even acknowledge the state (i.e Atlanta Airport Marriott).

In contrast the opposite experience has been had at numerous other properties.

At Marriott managed properties staff should be trained better follow procedures that afford Platinum members their perks.

I certainly don't want to open "pandora's box) again (which I did last year), but Marriott doesn't even want us to advertise our status by presenting us with (what is very inexpensive) Platinum Luggage Tags.

The luggage tag issue though, is indicative of the inconsistency of Platinum recognition,

misterchk,

I totally agree with you about training, they should all be better trained on the elite perks, but maybe Marriott knows we don't have many perks anymore so they see no need to train associates!

But a luggage tag?  Mine would to go to the exact same place I put the little yellow luggage handle wrap UA sent to their higher end Premier folks.....it went directly into file 13 without missing a second of daylight.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I was using the luggage tags as an example of Marriott's acknowledgment of our status not that I care to have their tag if available.

like you tags come in the mail monthly from other travel organizations and are placed in an appropriate location and never heard from again.

What Marriott SHOULD DO is have the property email every Platinum member who is staying in their hotel welcoming them two days ahead and have a separate check-in place for Platinum Elites at each property with a specially trained associate working that desk, similar to specialized training that CL associates get to provide a positive customer service.  Then when checking in at the hotel either at the Mobile App spot or the Platinum line the associates would be more aware of who they are putting into their hotel and how loyal they have been to Marriott to gain the status level they have reached.

Make it different that Gold since UA Platinum people are now getting Gold Elite in MR and upgrade all Platinum guests before offering upgrade to Gold Elites, just like UA does, you're elite/premier levels is the first item used for ranking upgrades.  And please do not take this idea as me liking much about UA!

I bet merb will run with something from what she reads of our ideas on this thread and not disappoint!

Platinum 28 Reviews

What you describe would provide a very badly needed aspect to the program.  That being the status of a platinum over a gold which is getting very "blurred"!

Did you read the post about the person who was standing in line in the Elite check-in for a convention and they told them to get in the longer line?  Then told them there was no upgrade for being PP (if I remember that right) but offered one a couple of minutes later to someone else?

That's not even a blurring of the lines.  That's non-existent. 

Sorry, but I don't remember who it was or even where right now.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Didn't read the post - do you remember which hotel it was? 

When I attend a conference/large meeting etc that happens to be at a Marriott I usually don't book thru the convention but directly.  But you description of the posting is astounding.

I hope the member reported it to the rewards office.

I should state, all in all I am very happy with the program.  I got very disappointed in the Hilton program (which I understand is still a joke) about ten years ago.

I marvel at the fact that I have never been turned down using points for vacation destinations for myself and family.

Off to bed for this old  guy now.

Good travels.

I don't remember where.  I know it was yesterday on 9/10.  I read so many posts, e-mails, and genealogy info; my mind is mush and I need to go to bed. 

I agree with you and IAHFLY, but I was looking to see which Atlanta Airport Marriott you were referring to and came across the Atlanta Airport Gateway that I'd never seen or knew of before, and it's a cat. 5.   It looks fabulous with the TVs in the bathroom mirrors.

Have you ever stayed there?

I'm thinking that you were referring to the one on Best Rd.

With good training, everyone would be made to feel special anyway, and that doesn't happen very often.

Platinum 28 Reviews

It was the not the Gateway.  The original  Atlanta Marriott.

Thank you, misterchk.

The first time we stayed there, it was really nice.  That was several years ago.  When we stayed just a year or so later, the original one had gone downhill tremendously.  They were also serving Starbucks the 2nd time, but not the 1st.  A free cup of coffee coupon, maybe for the 2 of us.  It had been **** and span the first time, but the entrance carpets were filthy the 2nd.  We haven't been back since, so it might be a lot better now.  That was around 2006.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...