71 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2013 10:36 PM by painedplatinum RSS

Labor Day Travel Plans

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

What travel plans have you if any for Labor Day Weekend?

We are off to Portland staying at https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/pdxct-portland-marriott-city-center/.  We love the hotel and the city.

And you?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Portland, Oregon, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Portland Marriott City Center
  • Re: Labor Day Travel Plans
    captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

Well, the weekend AFTER Labor Day my lovely bride is meeting me in New Orleans for a three day weekend.  We're staying at the CY Iberville in the French Quarter (Just off Canal and 1 block from Bourbon St.)

We have a practice of staying close to home during holiday weekends... She's a nurse and will be working LD.  I might go fishing...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

The Big Apple. Continuing my new game plan of trying different non-Marriott hotels, I'm in the upper west side at Hotel Belleclaire where I saw an anniversary sale (and it's truly half price, not 50% off an 80% markup) hitting the museums on the east side and walking/biking Central Park and then moving down to the new Herald Sq. CY with a great rate*** snagged the first week they posted, taking the F train to Brooklyn and walking the Brooklyn Promenade and crossing the bridge en route to the 9/11 Memorial. As always, huge caloric intake projected. Enjoy the holiday Insiders.

***  I was tempted to take advantage (but didn't want to change twice) of the newly branded Marriott - Autograph Collection - Lexington Hotel. Monday night AAA rate $125 for their 'cozy queen'.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

erc:

We love the Big Apple! Have a great time there. Let us know how the hotel is so I can bank it for future reference.

erc Platinum

Labor Day update

Well, as we've discussed on Insiders, it always pays to keep checking rates. I won't be going to the new CY (which I did tour and it does appear very nice) I just booked an $89 cozy queen at the Lexington Autograph Collection on 48th and Lex (near the Waldorf) and unlike CY, they provide breakfast in their restaurant for plats and golds (no CL - but we're out and about anyway). So tef6178 I'll give you the scoop on this one instead.

Don't look for any photos of me, because like Pluto knows, I pour the savings back into meals, so few of my clothes will be fitting this Labor Day weekend . Here's to a safe and enjoyable holiday (weekend to sg, ark, chrisf, klaus and our international pals).

erc,

Have a great time and make sure to stop in the Waldorf for a martini in the lobby bar, great spot and great hotel.  The ballroom is so famous for many events and movies made there, I love the place.

erc:

This hotel must be a block away from the Marriott Eastside on Lexington & 49th where we usually stay. I was not aware of this property but I looked at the photos and it looks pretty nice.....although it does look like Laverne (from Laverne and Shirley) slept in every room with that big L on every bedspread! I'll be looking forward to how you found it!

Have a great weekend!......and then it's on to Indy eh?

erc Platinum

I've got a few in between trips (one to Orlando, where my buddy, a big muckety muck at Disney says he's going to show me "how it's done" - no argument from me - hope his walk is as good as his talk), then Chicago to see a daughter and then at the end of Sept. to the JW Indy, for a bike ride, canal walk, a play, St. Elmo, Osteria and other Insider tips (hopefully I'll end up somewhere near the tef wing when it comes to room selection).

PS - lucky for you, you're on the east side of the gulf from Pensacola. I often drive from Pensacola with some guys to Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, Al. to see a former coach of ours. I'll be thinking of you when we head north on 110.

Double PS - I'm in a 'cozy queen' at the Lexington, so it'll probably be a lower case 'l' on the bedspread.

Enjoy the trip! By the by....take some time to come over this way...it's only 70+ miles....an easy go! Let me know if you do!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

erc,

Sounds like a great move!

Hope you had a great time!

erc Platinum

We had an enjoyable Labor Day weekend stay in New York city. My new strategy of keeping an eye out for deals on non-Marriott properties, started off with a more than satisfactory experience. I came upon a half price anniversary offer for the Hotel Belleclaire on the Upper West Side, checked out various reviews and wanting to hit some museums and walk Central Park, decided to take a chance booking a room instead of going with my Marriott option of the Essex House (although we walked by an attractive looking new Res. Inn/CY around Broadway and 54th as Marriott is punching out more and more properties - currently more than two dozen in Manhattan alone).

Like a blind squirrel finding an acorn, I might just have stumbled onto a possible travel strategy. I had my Visa Concierge book the room for me, mostly to provide the necessary confirmation information. Well, I don't know if Concierge service is a game changer or just dumb luck, but the hotel, which didn't know me from Adam, placed me in a top floor, suite (remember, I'm paying half price). My wife and I were as giddy as the Mike Myers' SNL character, Dieter from Sprockets. The suite had a pleasant view of the neighborhood, the Hudson River, a refrigerator, two robes, two pairs of slippers, and a tray of free goodies - woo hoo, Ma and Pa Kettle hit the big city! Although most of our time was spent outside the room, we had a great stay, our savings covered four museum admissions, an excellent dinner at nearby Coppola's, a nice bottle of bordeaux at the neighborhood wine shop, and some fresh fruit, bagels, and baked goods from Zabars. I'm eager to try the Concierge service again with any TravelZoo, Amazon Local or other non-Marriott deal I discover (heck, I might even try it with Marriott!).

IMAG1728.jpgIMAG1730.jpg

IMAG1733.jpgIMAG1736.jpg

Nice view of Hudson and neighborhood, 2 pairs of slippers, 2 robes, Bigelow shampoo, pretzels, water, candy, umbrella

Speaking of deals, my next one was with Marriott and even better, the new Lexington hotel (formerly a Radisson) on 48th and Lexington, essentially Marriott corner (East Side Marriott and the new Residence Inn are all with 50 yards of one another). Service was terrific and our $89 cozy room couldn't be beat (holidays in the right business city often offer great rates, Chicago/Thanksgiving, DC/Christmas etc). They had a very nice room (see photos) available early and we took photos and headed out to Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan and didn't return until after dinner.  The cozy room was fine with updated televisions and furniture, although the bathroom being small would probably rule it out as a couple using it for more than a day or two (the cozy rooms don't have coffee makers, you need to request one, all other rooms have them), but overall, the service was solid, employees were personable, helpful, and competent  (nice fitness room also) and therefore, if it meets the Insiders' individual goals, I would recommend tossing the Lexington into the equation of consideration. On a side note, perhaps as a sign of things to come, the Lexington does not have a Concierge Lounge and unlike the Essex House, currently doesn't have plans of adding one and they offer continental breakfasts daily for elites (that's their stated policy and they have cards printed up - and we all know about printed cards) although currently when you walk into the restaurant they hand you an American breakfast menu offering eggs, pancakes, or oatmeal, so that's fine by me.

IMAG1737.jpgIMAG1738.jpg

Comfortable bed and room

IMAG1740.jpgIMAG1800.jpg

New television, good channels                                                      Continental on card - but nice breakfast on menu (NY spelling)

IMAG1756.jpgIMAG1759.jpg

Wanda, the very nice concierge at Brooklyn Marriott gave us short cut directions to Brooklyn Promenade - Lassen and Hennings deli on Montague provided great lunch for our skyline view and we just beat the rain on our crossing of the bridge.

IMAG1791.jpgIMAG1793.jpg

Stories at 9/11 museum remain powerful enough to still create misty eyes. South pool and entire complex really brings out the emotions.

Try to visit if you ever get the chance (Pentagon as well).

erc:

Sounds like you hit the motherlode!!Thanks for the great info! I'll have to stick it in my little memory bank for future reference......

The 911 memorial is really a powerful take. I will be there when they open the museum that goes underground there. The entire site just evokes such emotion.....

Thanks for the report and glad the visit was a first class go......

erc,

You've outdone yourself my friend, what a beautiful spot you two enjoyed.  Love the pictures and each time I visit NYC my eyes get misty.  Thanks much for sharing your weekend, lucky you!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Nice job erc. It's hard not too choke up when you visit that whole area. We'll be back in the fall.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

We are thinking about a late October trip to Portland. We've never been to Oregon.  Can you give us some suggestions on sightseeing and dining?

Thanks,

RBF

Oregon is so beautiful and Portland is a fun quaint city right on the rivers with Mt. Hood watching over the city about 40 miles east. Here is a picture we took at Timberline Lodge which is about 6,200' on Memorial Day 2010, after a foot of snow fell the night before.

S3600056.JPG

So many things to do, I'll get back with ya as dinner and grilling calls!

erc, make sure to hit Carmine's off Broadway for some huge intake, meatballs is all I can say!!!

And yes, safe travels to all over the holiday weekend.

P.S. RBF here are some pictures from the photo album.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1486

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I think merb was going to give some tips on her city at this site.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/14545

curiousone Platinum

Take light rail from airport to downtown. Walk to CY from railstop. Food trucks, food trucks, food trucks. Oh yeh, there also good restaurants in downtown Portland. Don't forget Vodoo donuts.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Same as captbigguy, we're doing the weekend after Labor Day. We're doing our new favorite Wash DC hotel...The Mayflower Renaissance.  The events include a top burger and a top pizza joint. Plus some cultural stuff thrown in to make it legit.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Enjoy your weekend, Pained.  It sure is a great city.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

Portland is one of my favorite cities.  I would like to stay at Portland Marriott City Center or Portland Marriott Waterfront (been inside both; haven't stayed at either).

For me, travel to Boulder and Denver.

taxman415 Platinum

Beach, Beach and more Beach... Need to relax and do nothing for a few days and looking forward to it...

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Took my end of summer trip last weekend. Had planned on visiting Charlotte, NC, but due to a death in the family, went to Wisconsin. After attending to family matters, I drove up to northern Michigan. Went all the way to the top of the state (Copper Harbor on the Keneenaw Penisula). Lake Superior on three sides. Beautiful scenery. Stayed in Green Bay SHS one night (practically next door to Lambeau Field) and FFI in Stevens Point the next. Both nice properties.

Labor Day weekend will be spent quietly at home.

The next big trip will be England in late October. 2 nights in Bristol (using promo certs), 2 nights somewhere in the English countryside, 4 nights in London (Marriott Maida Vale), 3 nights in Brighton (attending a conference) and a final night at the Renaissance at Heathrow before coming home. I can't wait.

I'll be asking for a London "don't miss" list soon from MRI. (jerrycoin, I've seen some of your posts,so I know you will have some tips).

Just a few steps from the beach....sitting here now on the deck looking out at the Gulf......we'll be staying here for the Labor Day weekend. Grillin' and Chillin'...while we think about our Palm Desert junket in late October....then St. Maarten for November.......

DSCN0146.JPG

It must really be tough being you tef6178!!    Great view for sure, but where on the Gulf might you be at this point?

Santa Rosa Beach in the Panhandle. We live just off County Rd Scenic Highway 30A...a seventeen mile 2 lane road that runs along the Gulf of Mexico. This stretch has rolling dunes and brush pine....and a 50 ft height restriction for building. I'm at 60 ft...and grandfathered before the new regs went into effect. That's why my house seems to be above the others in the pics. My great 180 degree view of the water will never be blocked and that's the way I like it! This is a great area and there is a LOT going on here! We love it....when in the area come on by!!

http://30a.com/

I was curious if you were at home or not, figured so after I hit "comment".  You are one lucky home owner my friend, must be just good clean living.   I'll always waive now from 39,000' on the way to Ft. Myers if we're on an RJ without rafts, otherwise the Boeing cuts across the Gulf so you won't see the hand in the window.

Ask the pilot to do a flyover...I'm sure he'll be accommodating.....I'll be looking thru my telescope for ya!

IAH:

I'm not sure about the clean living thing.....but I am one lucky guy! 

tef6178,

Ditto to the clean living and lucky guy, it's great to be in our shoes!

That everyday view is amazing!

It's really nice to sit up on the deck in the morning with a cup of joe and enjoy the view! The weather here has been fantastic lately with morning temps in the low 70's and a light breeze! Perfect.

I only get to do that at a couple of places (Newport being one, of course) a couple of times/year, and boy is it wonderful.  Nothing like a panoramic view of wide open spaces, especially when there is lots of water involved, while sipping a cuppa morning wakey juice.  Livin' the good life, and so well deserved and happy for the pair of you.

pluto77,

Now that's a new one to this Texas Tower Guy...."cuppa morning wakey juice"......AWESOME. 

You like that, huh?  Oh ya, and we'll look forward to seeing you over Pueblo.  My airplane will have the Eskimo livery.  Yours will have - oh ya, that blue global thingy.

LOL, yes it will have that "global thingy", but that is a CO thingy and we are on a B739 which could be an ER or one of their first 12 900's either way it will be a CO plane and CO crew.  Should be able to get the tail number tomorrow morning off the website.

See now you've done it, got me spooled up again on the UA stuff.

Off of what website?  Can I do that too?

UA's website under the travel information tab right beneath that "global thingy", or from the mobile app as well which is a little cleaner on the layout.  You can find the Ship number, upgrades (first 3-letter of your last name), seat chart, amenities, where the plane is coming from and if you are getting a meal in FC if it's a snack or breakfast, lunch or dinner. 

Here is the mobile app:

https://mobile.united.com/#

Here is the website:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/default.aspx

I don't know if Alaska has it or not but I bet so.

How can you tell which model you'll be flying (ie, 737-38-39)?

I found it.

I also discovered something else, and to correct previously incorrect info posted, Alaska Airlines does not offer complimentary Pacific Northwest wine and beer in their main (economy) cabin.  It is their regional partners, Horizon Air and SkyWest who offer complimentary beers and wines produced in the Pacific Northwest in their main cabins.  Actual Alaska Airlines flights charge $6 for these beverages in the main cabin.  Interesting.

pluto77,

I knew you could figure it out, next trick you have to figure out is when they make Friday available you need to tell me if I'm on the 900 or 900ER! hahaha

Too bad AS is not as nice in their complimentary beverages as Horizon and SkyWest.

We got the 900ER, but I hope it changes to another airplane as this is one of the newest that doesn't have the DirecTV in it yet.  Yet another one of the UA operational issues, put a plane on a flight of some 4+30 with no entertainment system yet put on from IAH-AUS that has the DirecTV's.......love em.  This far out it will probably change so fingers crossed.

Thanks pluto! I am a lucky guy to have my sweetie put up with my baseball junkets and all my antics!

I could certainly enjoy that view over the weekend myself...

capt:

The water is beautiful in the morning and the view is even better at sunset! Come on by!

tef6178

, As soon as you tell

iahflyr

and me where this is, we'll be there in a few...  Have the margaritas frozen and the shrimp boiled!!!

We'll leave the light on for ya! (oops, that's another chain.....)

Dang I knew that looked somewhat familiar...

My family just spent a week in June on Cape San Blas, just a little south of you...  Well, not THAT little...   LOVED it down there...  When you mentioned 30A, I KNEW you were in that general vacinity of the Gulf...

So let me add to the menu...   Blue Crab and oysters... Maybe some stone crab... oh... and a grouper filet... 

Oh yeah...the grouper is magnifico here! My wife cooks a G-R-E-A-T grouper almondine....to die for!

capt,

Have a great week-end in Springfield!

You enjoy a wonderful city and wish you the best, as well as all MRI this holiday!

You too, jerry...  Found out I'm actually headed to "The Farm" in Arkansas (My wife's home where she grew up) to spend a couple of days with our 6yo granddaughter and deliver the Barbie dollhouse Nanna got her.  So I'll be sitting on the porch watching the deer and turkey and listening to the quail, doves, etc.  Beats any Marriott on the map by a long shot for this hillbilly... (Sorry Marriott folks...)

Dee Ceeeee,

For meeeee,

Yippeeeee!

pluto:

Enjoy! Where are you staying?

pluto77 and merb are staying at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington, D.C., to see how they like the joint before they move in soon, you knew that!

That's right, merb for President.

Unfortunately due to the sequester, we won't be seing the inside of the White House anytime soon.  Or the Supreme Court, which will be closed for cleaning while we're there.   Or a ride to the top of Washington's monument, which has been broken for 3 years now?  I didn't know (or more likely forgot .)  But we will visit two museums, hopefully all of the memorials at West Potomac Park, National Archives, Arlington, Iwo Jima Memorial and Gtown.  That's a lot for three days, plus pay a visit to family.

Crystal City Marriott. $74/night and right on top of the metro line.  If not for these nuggets (and a fall airfare sale), I wouldn't be doing it.  I haven't been in over 30 years so I am very jazzed.

You're gonna love it and have a blast.  Make sure to see the Viet Nam Memorial as well as others they've built since you were last there.....you flying into DCA?

LAX to DCA.

Don't forget to waive as we cross flight paths probably over Pueblo or Alamosa.

That metro is great! Did you get your metro card? I got the Charm card. If you're going to use the metro a lot, it's worth it! Paper metro tix cost a buck a ride more.

Ya, I read about that.  We'll get the Smartrip card upon arrival at the airport kiosk.  I will be taking the bus out to BWI one afternoon to meet with one of my daughters who is making a connection there from overseas, and I'm hoping the smartrip card will work for that as well, since it's all the same system.

pluto:

You can check if the Smart Card works over at BWI on the website. That's part of the reason I got the Charm Card instead of the Smart Card (and the fact that the Charm Card was cheaper for me and what I was doing). The Charm Card works in Maryland everywhere too. The Smart Card, as I recall, doesn't work some places, but I'm not 100% sure where. That's where the website can be a real help. It was to me.

I will go to the website and read more.  Thanks!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

JW Grand Lakes, Orlando...leaving Thursday

yippee!  fireworks on the lake Monday night from the comfort of our room

Grand Lakes is a great hotel, and if they have the sushi bar still open in the lobby it is a MUST if you enjoy sushi or even a simple adult style beverage.  Enjoy and safe travels.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Thanks for the info iahflyr. We will certainly give it a try.

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

San Diego and Newport Coast! I Cannot wait!!! I am such a CA gal...and get to spend my birthday at the beach!!! What a beautiful blessing!

Here's to a wonderful holiday, Insiders!

Lakeshore

curiousone Platinum

Sunday afternoon my wife and I will take the light rail to the Renaissance in downtown Phoenix. They are having a special package that includes breakfast for 2, a trip to a downtown brewery and then 2 tickets to the downtown Crescent Ballroom where John Hiatt and the Combo will be playing. The package includes transportation to/from the venues. I will be using Marriott cheques that I was not able to use on my last to trips. A downtown hotel on a holiday weekend, I am expecting that they will have some upgrades available for a platinum. I am also planning to get a late checkout on Monday with no problem.

What a wonderful trip!

Enjoy!

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

IAHFLYR:  Enjoy your long weekend; it sounds wonderful!  Portland is on my wish list and I just looked up your hotel -- very nice.

My husband just a few minutes ago arrived home from SLC Utah where he had the pleasure of "vacationing for work" at the Marriott CY airport location.  So he's a little tired of hotel life and traveling at the moment.  We put on a lot of miles in August (family emergencies and of course we stayed at Marriott) so we're going to sit tight at home in NH and enjoy the view and sounds.  Our house is on a hill overlooking a small valley and we can hear the cows and horses from our deck (they are just across the street).  I've got a glass of wine, the sun just went down over the opposite hillside, and we're all home safe and sound.  Life is good!

Best regards,

Sledchick