2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2013 11:31 AM by captbigguy RSS

Best way to "gift" a stay for a friend.

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My wife is a nurse and one of her coworkers has a child with severe scoliosis (curvature of the spine) requiring trips to Houston for surgery once or twice a year.  While not destitude, they do sometimes struggle financially with this and we decided that if they need some help, one way we could pitch in would be to help with a room near the hospital while they are down there (2 or 3 nights.)  There is a Marriott very close to the hospital and I would love to help them out if and when they need it.  My only question would be how best to get them a room with Marriott points?  I'm thinking if I book it, there might be issues since I won't be staying.  Can they open a MR account and I can gift them points?

Anyone with experience doing something  like this or the Marriott folks with the best way for me to do this, any advice is appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Best way to "gift" a stay for a friend.
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

captbigguy,

What a wonderful gesture, awesome.  Did you know our hometown LPGA player Stacy Lewis had severe scoliosis when she was young and was treated in the Medical Center.......she went on to play golf for The Woodlands HS and also at Arkansas before turning pro, so best of luck with a full recovery for the young child.

I'm almost certain you can use points to book a room and put the room under another persons name.  I did that a few years ago for my son and his buddy as they were taking a golf trip together.  However; I did call the Platinum Elite line to book it rather than attempting online.  Give it a try and I hope it works for you and the family headed down here.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Best way to "gift" a stay for a friend.
      captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

iahflyr

Yes I did know about Stacy (BIG Razorback fan here... WOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOOOOIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and admire her for what she has accomplished.

Thanks for the tip... This is a cool little dude who someday, paraphrasing the immortal words of Kevin Costner as Crash Davis in Bull Durham, when he speaks of me, he'll speak well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...