22 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2013 8:42 AM by iahflyr RSS

Breakfast or No Breakfast

tom666 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So I thought the rule was if there was no concierge floor you got breakfast free regardless of the property. I was at the Courtyard in Paso Robles, nice place, good staff – but when I ask I was told that rule did not apply to Courtyard, yet the CY in DC, Fountain Valley, PHx, and Camarillo have different takes on this. What is the rule – oh I’m PE as well.

thanks

tom

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Breakfast or No Breakfast
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I think the new policy of continental breakfast is a step in the right direction.

But there are still so many inconsistencies.

1) It does not seem to apply to all brands

2) Full Service properties seem to be the most consistent, but there are still alot of inconsistencies.which I have experienced over the last month

• One property has the CL open 7 days a week and serves a fabulous breakfast with Cordon Bleu styel scrambled eggs, lox, selection of wonderful jams (FS Princeton Forrestal)
    • Another property the CL is open only during the week with a standard breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage. (FS Bethesda Marriott)
    • Breakfast coupons vary
      • at one property were for a fabulous buffet breakfast on the weekend when the CL is closed (Renaissance Essex House)
      • at another property I was told I could only have a continental breakfast which cost $14, and that if I wanted the entire buffet I needed to pay them another $4.  So I tried it one day, until I saw the bill, and for the 2nd day I traded the coupon for 750 points and had breakfast outside the hotel (FS Bethesda Marriott)

It appears, that Marriott is trying to establish a consistent policy that Gold & Platinum get breakfast in the CL, and if the CL is closed then they are entitled to breakfast coupons.  These coupons are sometimes for a great buffet like Forrestal or Essex House, or very basic like Bethesda.

By charging $14 for a continental breakfast which is most likely charged back from the property to Marriott Corporate, once again the properties are short changing both platinum guests and Marriott corporate.

But $14 for continental breakfast?

Really?

Who are we kidding here!

These properties are out of control

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Gem,

How much was the bill for when they said it would only be $4 more?  I know you were willing to pay that, but why the change to 750 pts. the next day?  Something was wrong that we're not getting.  

The bill was $16 for a continental breakfast.

You sign the bill, but because of the coupon, it is removed from the room charges, just like internet charges are

but it was for continental breakfast only.

if I wanted hot buffet items I was going to have to pay $4 out of my pocket for that, e.g. excluded from the coupon.

aaronplatinum4life Platinum 28 Reviews

The Concierge Lounge in Princeton isn't open on the weekend, unless this is a new thing...

I was there last week, and it is very new.

So new, that they had a paper sign taped over the permanent sign

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

This past w/e since the CL was closed at the Marriott at Research Triangle Park, Raleigh/Durham, NC, so we got coupons for a "free Continental BF."  However, the entire buffet + omelets was free including no charge for our two Grandkids.  So does "Continental BF" have a different meaning in NC or did my Platinum Premier status have something to do with it?  Nice anyway you look at it!

I stayed at Hilton properties my last few trips

1. they do breakfast right - no BS. they set up a buffet and you have at it. everything from fresh fruit, to eggs to biscuit and gravy

2. there in house food places are still hit and miss but are heads and shoulder over any thing short of a JW

3. The beds were great.

here was the real surprise - in all cases they were cheaper to the comparable Marriott propriety that was literally next door.

I'm tried of the inconsistent policies at each property. I'm still really bugged by the fire alarm incident that no one from Marriott has addressed.

I'm going to really rethink my brand loyalty strategy - they are have made it harder and harder to stay with them.

tom

Thanks for input tom.  I'll have to check out the Hilton properties in the areas I travel.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

That was nice, bpelican.

Also, the Ren. in north Raleigh is really nice.  It has TV in the bathroom mirror, use of the gym next door that has a connecting entrance, and a really great in-house restaurant.  My husband and son ate there while I was at a meeting at the convention center 3 years ago.  I realize things can change, and they have.  That was when they still had the BOGO meals and stays.

I've stayed at all the full service Marriotts in the Raleigh-Durham area but never the Renaissance.  I plan to rectify that next year.  Thanks for the recommendation.  I fondly remember the BOGO meals at the Renaissance in Charleston, SC. which is also a first-class Property.

erc Platinum

tom666

Courtyard doesn't play with us Platinums. The DC, Fountain Valley, and Camarillo are the exception, not the rule (but good to know about, thanks for sharing). Platinums get 400 points for a checking in bonus and the opportunity to purchase Starbucks coffee and a Bistro meal (points not given for those purchases), thus the anti-CY feelings you'll see over to the right column in the More Like This section of links.

So there seems to be a general dislike of the new CY policies and lack of consistant  Concierge Lounges.

So I get it Marriott wants to upgrade a bit as well as have a new revenue stream. but the problem is as has been pointed out the competition wants our business as an example in one of the threads it looks like Hilton is really amp'ing up. So my next trip will be in a Hilton property. already hit my elite number for the year so I have 4 months to try other hotels. Marriott clearly is moving in one direction and other hotel companies are moving in one closer to my desire. one thing Marriott should realize is the Bistro concept while it looks good on paper is not being well executed. frankly breakfast across Marriott is stale. there are times I wish they would just close breakfast and get us 10-15% discount at the local breakfast chain like IHoP. keep the points and bring back the afternoon snacks. finally Marriott, most business people travel on per deim and your model does not seem to realize this. if you're able to travel on actuals you're staying at a better hotel property. v/r tom

hm212 Gold 1 Reviews

I agree, I have found very inconsistent breakfast policies on the weekends.  Some FS Marriots (Bridgewater NJ for example started opening their CL on the weekend, Bethesda Convention Center gives either 750 points or a free buffet breakfast.  I would actually rather have the points as I am trying to have enough points to cover two rooms for next years beach week.

The properties I have been at recently, the 750 points or free buffet breakfast has been somewhat standard, even before the recent policy changtes/

What is inconsistent is what constitutes " free buffet breakfast"

Most properties (Essex House, Princeton Forrestal, Key Bridge) it has been an excellent full buffet breakfast.  Matter of fact when they opened the CL on the weekend at Forrestal, I almost regretted that I would not get to have the their fabulous buffet breakfast, though the CL was lovely with perfectly cooked scrambled eggs and smoked salmon).

At Bethesda, it was only a continental breakfast.

Very awkward, as the folks manning the buffet are offering to cook omlettes and waffles to order, and I have to tell them my free coupon does not cover that. Wish I could take you up on your offer.

Anyways, I need to be back in Bethesda for 4 more days, but I may stay other places part of the time, as I really don't like how the restaurant is run. Food is good, but expensive.  I had Chicken Parmagean for dinner with ice tea, and it was over $20 for the meal, he Turkey BLT with ice tea for lunch is also close to $20, and the one coupon eligible continental buffet breakfast (with an internal billback of $16).

I don't think some of these properties realize they are not competitive, as I also ate out and had amazing meals for the same price.

1) Bistro Francaise - I had Liver Pate, Salmon with watercress sauce and strawberry Tart for $20

2) Capitol Grille - I had Cesar Salad with fresh anchovies, Aged New York Strip Steak grilled perfectly and strawberry ice cream for $30 with the most amazing home made pumpernickel bread

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I don't see much special treatment for elite members at Courtyards.  Upgrades are not really possible at most Courtyards because many have very, very few suites.  Concierge Lounges are not at Courtyards and they do not participate in the free continental breakfast because Courtyards are not full service Marriott brand hotels.

I have been to a few Courtyards that have done a little extra for elites.  The Courtyard in Palo Alto does (or at least did) free wine and other gifts for elites.

They only CY suite I ever had, was when I had the entire team at a CY and no one wanted to be there because colleagues complained of noise problems.

Even though Marriott is our preferred provider, the team all stay at Hilton and Holiday Inn.  I talked them into it by signing them up for the Cat 1-4 Coupon deal, which appealed to my boss cause he was taking the family on lots of road trips looking at colleges.  Then I blocked the rooms on the quiet side of the property away from the freeway.  And I also requested that the upgrade i was eligible for go to my boss, so that I could get him to make this decision in the future. And then I sat in the Bistro from 7 to 9 to make sure that everyone understood they would charge for the breakfast, so they would need to sign for it, but then it gets billed to something other than the room.

And my boss enjoyed the suite being on the road that week for business and then directly to visiting colleges.

I really don't stay at CYs, especially on personal trips, when most other Marriott properties have free BF and evening meals/snacks.

onedale Platinum 16 Reviews

I agree, I only stay in a CY when there is no other choice.  Otherwise I avoid them like the plague,  because of the inconsistent policies and problems I have experienced.   Do not stay at the CY in Southfield MI, was there last month had a horrible experience asked that the manager call me.  They never did.

Roger that onedale

aaronplatinum4life Platinum 28 Reviews

Next time you have a problem and ask for a manager, post it on the Marriott Rewards Facebook page.  Don't be nasty but be firm and explain your problem.  Someone will respond...

onedale Platinum 16 Reviews

I did zero response from anyone

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Worth a try to have merb or The specified item was not found. get someone involved who can help you with your issue.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...