5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2013 9:19 AM by missgee RSS

Reward redemption

rj17 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Not happy.  was just told I cannot use my rewards since the property is sold out.  I booked the reservation weeks ago.  I just did not select to use rewards at that time.  the redemption of points should be available based on when you book the room, not when you decide to use points or not. 

bogus

not happy

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Reward redemption
    pointjunkie Gold 2 Reviews

I'm trying to understand your situation. It's a bit "incomplete" and therefore...

I think you're saying you tried to make reservations for "somewhere" a few weeks ago and could not because the "property" was sold out.

Whether you pay cash or use MR points, if the "property" is sold out...it's booked completely. Could be a convention? Could be last minute vacationers who may have booked several months ago?

And yes, redemption of points is based on when you book your room. Unfortunately, money talks...everyone else has to go someplace else.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

travisbnewton Platinum 15 Reviews

They limit the amount of rooms they will allow for points.   You can always book a room with points then change after but rate may increase.   Also you can book with points even if you dont have enough but if you plan on getting more before they stay.     When I book my travels using points I always use abroad and book almost a year in advance.   You can book up to 362 days in advance and still cancel and get your points back if you dont take the reservation up to the cancellation period. 

buckwheat Platinum 2 Reviews

Where is the property located and when do you plan on being there?

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

It appears to me that rj17 originally booked his reservation with CASH an now wants to switch to POINTS. To do so, he must cancel the cash reservation and re-book with points, but cannot since the rooms available on points have been sold out. Two options remain - try calling reservations PRIOR to cancelling the cash reservations and ask to convert the reservation to points, -or- use points to pay for the reservation at checkout. But beware of the T&Cs: Only Marriott Rewards® lets you redeem points instantly at any participating Marriott across the US (except Hawaii), Canada and Europe (includes the United Kingdom, France and Germany). That’s on anything that can be charged to your guest room. Dinner. Cocktails. Massage. Golf. Even a room upgrade or an extra day of vacation. There’s no certificates, no waiting. For more info, see Instant Rewards | Marriott Rewards Instant Redemption

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

I agree with Pingreeman in that your best option is to call Customer Service or the hotel.  If the points rooms have all been sold out you can ask them to consider putting you on a wait list as a lot of reservations will cancel prior to the stay.

Oh, and the operative word in the T&C's is "participating". 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...