14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2013 9:17 AM by GemPrincess RSS

Rome Marriott Park - Has Anyone Stayed at this Property?

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I will be going on a repositioning cruise out of Rome in Novemeber and was thinking of staying at the Rome Marriott Park the weekend before as it is located 11km from the airport, making it easy for folks arriving at different times to meet up at the hotel when they arrive.  I notice there is also a shuttle bus from the aiport for 5 EUR, and to Central Rome for 11 EUR roundtrip.

Rooms are reasonably priced at 95 EUR, or 25K Marriott Points.  To stay in Town will cost me ~200 EUR/nite or 40K points.  This property looks to be closer to the port than those in Central Rome, though none provide transport options, so I will need to contact them all seperately.

Let me know if you have ever stayed at this property, and what you think.

Also, if you have ever cruised out of the Port of Civitavecchia, and how you got to the port.  Last time I was there, it was a cruise stop, and transportation into Rome was 150 EUR (cruise ship offered a bus that was 150/per person, or I used a car service our office uses) for 150/car for up to 3 people).

Are there better options?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rome, Italy Marriott Hotels & Resorts Rome Marriott Park Hotel
  • Re: Rome Marriott Park - Has Anyone Stayed at this Property?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Gem,

Only driven by it on the way to the airport.  Wow, the reviews are excellent.  Apparently the hotel has a shuttle to/from Central Rome, and guests say that training to/from both the port and airport is a snap.  Hmmm, I'm intrigued.  If you choose it, I'll look forward to your review.  (Whatever you do, stay away from the Courtyard Rome Central Park.  Some reviewers like it, but I've been there, and nope.  I liked the CY at the airport.  ProfChiara did not, due to poor service.)

For this Marriott, I say go for it.  I would.  Hope you hear from more folks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

john14727 Platinum 1 Reviews

I have stayed there. It is a nice property for the price. No executive lounge, breakfast was served in the lobby. I would stay there again.

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

Hi Gem!

We have never stayed there, but it looks nice, up on a hill, when we drive by on the way to Rome. It is pretty much by itself, though. But the price is enticing, I am sure. If your goal is to be in Central Rome, I know it is tough, but the extra money might make it worth it. Could you pay for one night and then use points for another?  The Grand Flora is beautiful...breakfast on the outdoor rooftop patio is gorgeous and delicious! But, we have also stayed a night at the Visconti Palace(not Marriott, but the Flora was not available that night). It was recently remodeled, had a HUGE breakfast Buffett..so much good food to choose from. Not as expensive as the Flora. It is located on the Vatican side of the river. A great pizza place, San Marcos, is close by, and there also happens to be another San Marcos a few blocks from the Grand Flora, too...same place, fantastic pizza! If you are in the mood for pizza, I highly recommend it! Concierges will be able to show you the way.

I also recommend romecabs for transportation. We have used them many times, and they offer private transfers for a good price. I just checked on cruise transfers for my uncle and aunt, who are going to be cruising,,and wanted to compare prices...for 2 people it was 130 euros total to FCO From the Port. This would be private, as opposed to a bus. You can google them to make sure about prices. They are on tripadvisor, too. They take cash, and I think PayPal, too.

HAve fun on your cruise! I would love to hear about it...I actually thought about it for my clan, but was nervous about rough seas...my little guy got seasick on a two hour cruise in Costa Rica. poor guy. Don't think we will be cruising any time soon, so I will have to live vicariously through you!

blava007 Platinum

GemPrincess

We just competed 5 cruises from the Port of Rome, we stayed in Marriott Hotels. 

A train from Rome airport will take you directly to Roma Termini 18.00 Euros/person, from Terminin it’s about 1+ mile to the Marriott Flora hotel.

From Termini Railway Station a train goes directly to the “Port of Rome" which is in "Civitavecchia”, the train is about 5.00 euros/person, it takes 50+ minutes and then it’s an easy ~ 10 minute walk to the bus that will take you to your Cruise ship.   Marriott Flora is centrally located near Spanish Steps,  … etc. hotel has history, character, thus the Level 8.

Rome Marriott Park is close to the airport it is 5.00/euro from the Rome Airport using the hotel shuttle.  The hotel also provides for fee a shuttle/bus to the city each hour on the hour, but last bus goes back to the hotel ~ 5:00 pm.   Going to the to/from “Port of Rome which is in Civitavecchia” you will need to take taxi/shuttle service cost 100-150 euros per car. Rome Marriott Park is a nice hotel with great pool if you want to relax and limit visiting Rome, It’s a OK choice but not a 1st choice.  Also be aware, there is absolutely NOTHING near the hotel, (you are middle of nowhere) you may as well be in Kansas.

I know it's a big difference between 95 euros/night at the Rome Marriott Park vs the 45K points at the Marriott Flora. Since the value of points is depreciating quickly we selected to stay in the Marriott Flora, we got absolutely great room, with large balcony and view of the city, for us it was the correct option.

Thanx blava007 for all the detailed information, organized nicely into 2 options.

I am leaning toward the Grand Flora at this point, if something opens for points.  As you pointed out, our points are devaluing, so may as well use them up, but  279 EUR/ nite (380 USD/nite - 760 USD before taxes) is crazy though as its almost as much as the cost of the 15d cruise.

elcruz155 Platinum 4 Reviews

I stayed at both property in 2008.  First night stayed at Marriott Park and on the way out of Rome as well. Got upgraded to suites both times. Crazy huge suites overlooking pool and hill side almost the size of a 1000 ft apartment.

The Flora was a wonderful property really historical. Our room overlooked Roman Walls and ruins etc. Breakfast was on the rooftop with the Vatican in sight and expansive views of everything. Close to the Spanish Steps etc.

Depends on what you're really after but both properties were excellent in treating us.

baysidedmd Platinum 6 Reviews

The Grand Flora was not worth a splurge!  It is just a nice hotel.  There is nothing opulent about it and its best feature is undoubtably the rooftop terrace.  If you are only in Rome for one day, you will spend so little time in your room.  Really consider that and spend your points and money wisely! Just left Grand Flora--it was not fantastic but it was nice.  Thats all I can say about it.

blava007, lakeshore, elcruz155

Have taken your advice and decided to splurge on the Grand Hotel Flora.  I think for our short visit (1/2d Sat, full day Sun, 1/2d Mon) we will make best use of the time by staying at the Grand Flora as we can walk/shop on Via Veneto, see the Spanish Steps and Villa Borghese near by.  Also, the location near Termini Station gives us inexpensive  ground transporation options.  Since points seem to devalue quickly, may as well use them up.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Way to go!

Update on transport.  While the train seems very easy and reasonable (and I did this in the UK for my Norway cruise), one of my friends has a bad back and prefers we use the private car transport, and offered to pay for it since I used points in the hotel.  So we will use Best of Italy which has a fabulous car service, as well as tour services.

cruisetraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Gem,

We completed a transatlantic cruise from Rome last November. We stayed at the Marriott Grand Flora for three days before the cruise. here is what we found.:

All noted replies on this site about the buffet breakfast was correct. The coffee was fantastic, the view was great, the buffet was not up to US standards.

We also had lunch and dinner at the restaurant there a few times and found that food to be very good, also if you are there early enough they give you free wine (if you want).

The internet connection was great, the room was very clean and the view from the opened window was very romantic ( no balcony).

I definitely will stay here again ( next year) and would recommended it to all. (This was the last hotel I stayed at using the certificates . The one for 135,000 points for $1,000 US dollars certificate and then they converted them to euros, I found that to be a better value than getting the certificate for euros at that time. I really miss that E135 certificate, I think that was the name of it)

I used my Marriott points.  Its 40K points per night, so 80K for 2 nights.  The major problem has been there were no rooms available for points, and the ~300 EUR price for a single twin bed was just too expensive.  For 2 people it was going to cost ~350 EUR/nite.

cruisetraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

I forgot to let you know we used the cruise line transportation Celebrity to Port of Civitavecchia. We did have to meet at another hotel to catch the bus, but I would not have traded my hotel (Grand Flora) for the meeting hotel for the cruise line. The bus was very comfortable and on time. You are on vacation, therefore you want everything to go smoothly. I felt it was worth the money. This was a second transatlantic and both times the water was smooth (always Nov or Dec cruise)

Thanx cruisetraveler for the suggestion on cruiseline transport.

We are on HAL as the Celebrity transatlantic did not fit into our work schedule.

Will check with HAL.

We did look at their Rome tour which is rather expensive for what they are delivering.  For about the same price I can use Best of Italy, which our office uses for business, and I have used for Rome tours when we have had Rome as a cruise stop.  It was great to have a private car take as around and we could come and go as we please.  We have found you lose alot of time on the large tour buses in just the amount of time it takes to get on and off the bus, and then there are always a few rude people on the tour, that talk while the tour guide is talking.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...