22 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2013 2:26 PM by trippin' RSS

Backordered Marriott Card?  Seriously?

trippin' Alumni Steward Member 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I ordered a Marriott Card on August 1st and I called last Friday to find out that they are back-ordered.  Um...three weeks have gone by and no email?  No phone call?  No, I'm sorry, it's back-ordered would you rather stop your order?

Can't believe the lack of customer service on this issue.  Has anyone else had a problem with this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Backordered Marriott Card?  Seriously?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

trippin',

Not only is it a complete lack of customer service it is just flat out rude for nobody to even care enough to let you know in case you had a specific date in mind for the card to be used so you could plan accordingly.  Come on Marriott, just because you have a partnership with UA now doesn't mean you have to treat customers in a similar manner.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ansaa Member

Hi trippin'! I just wanted to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention and let you know that we're currently looking into the problem.  As soon as I hear anything back on my end, I'll be sure to pass along to you.  Again, thanks for posting! We appreciate your patience while we figure this out.

Thank you for checking into it!

Thank you!  I received an email today that said it was shipped.  Doesn't help for what I needed it for but I'm glad to be getting it.  Thanks for looking into it!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Curious - what are you waiting for?

• Marriott Rewards Card
    • Marriott VISA Card (Signature, Premier)
    • Marriott Gift Card
    • Something else

It's not really relevant - you shouldn't have to wait - but I'm curious....

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I know.  You order a gift card that is obviously for a dated event (as evidenced by the picture on the card that was selected, as well as the sentiment), and it's backordered in terms of weeks without any notification whatsoever?  Seriously?  How can a gift card be backordered?  These gift cards don't have a dollar value printed on them like some gift cards do, which tells me (unless I'm mistaken, but I doubt it) that they have to be swiped and the dollar amount entered, etc. to be activated.  Why couldn't they just tell you on the online order page when you try to add the card to the shopping cart that it's back ordered with an est. ship date, like every other website does?

Plus, I was told when I inquired about tracking mine (as it had been 9 calendar days since I ordered it) that:

1)  "There is no tracking.  It's mailed first class.  We just slap a stamp on it and mail it."

2)  "It's also possible that the recipeint may have thought it was junk mail if they weren't expecting it (and they weren't - it was a surprise) and they may have thrown it away, because the envelope doesn't say Marriott on it.  You will have to wait 9 business days before you can cancel the one that was mailed and request a new one be sent."

Okay.  Good to know, Marriott.

Well, let's see... I ordered the card on Aug. 7th, surely expecting it to arrive by Aug. 17th (Marriott mailed it out on the 8th), and I called to inquire about it on Aug. 16th.  Marriott told me that I couldn't call back and cancel/reorder until Aug. 22nd.

Disappointing.  Live and learn.  And forget about giving a Marriott gift card as a gift, unless you plan to purchase it months in advance.

And don't use it overseas.  And remember you can't use it on advance purchase reservations (really dumb and archaic, IMO).  Funny, you can use gift cards at just about every other online store.  But I've started to muddying the waters here.  Sorry.

Very, Very frustrating.   I feel your pain, Pluto.  Had I known I would have gone with a VISA but as a Marriott Insider, I wanted to stay loyal to Marriott.  I know the world isn't going to end but as I ordered it on the 1st, I thought for sure it would be no problem.  Live and learn.

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

My sister is also waiting for a card. I encouraged her to stick with Marriott so I feel rather bad.

hopetix Platinum 2 Reviews

The other thing in all of this that makes NO sense is that American Express can give you a Marriott "E-Card" which is emailed to you, but SkyMall can't seem to figure that out, it has to be a hard card. The e-GiftCard works just like a gift card, and they simply type in the number instead of "swiping" the card. Come on Marriott, this just keeps getting more and more ridiculous. They told me 10 days or more when I called to try and order a gift card and use points for it....gone are the days of being able to expedite anything from Marriott. It just seems to be going backwards and becoming way too difficult to redeem points. I am sorry they messed up your order. I would hope they will either replace your points, or refund your money! I'd put a stop on the payment if you paid for a gift card with a credit card, and call customer service and get the points put back on your account if the card simply disappeared. Very frustrating.

I wonder if anyone has started their research to this and if trippin' has received any update as yet?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I can't call until tomorrow or Thursday.

I received an email today -

Thank you for shopping with the Marriott Rewards Redemption Store hosted by SkyMall. We are pleased to inform you that the item listed below was shipped on Tue, Aug 20, 2013.

If you would like to order another item, or if we can assist you in any way, please visit us at www.skymall.com/marriottrewards, e-mail us at customerservice@skymall.com, or call us at 1-800-493-3278.

so there.....  

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

trippin'

Reading pluto77 's post about shipping dates may still have you waiting quite a few days. If I have my dates right, Pluto's card was shipped on Aug 8th and still hasn't been received. I've heard of slow shipping, but this card must be caught on a conveyor belt somewhere. Good luck to both of you.

Or was flying UA!!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Good one, IAH...lol....Although, I'm guessing UA is feeling pretty good now that the feds have thrown up the merger roadblock for USAir/AA.

UA shouldn't be feeling good about a thing until they first learn how to show respect to their employees as well as customers, then they can start fixing the other things such as putting in some management folks with actual aviation backgrounds in the trenches, but I digress.  I should take these thoughts back over to the "aviation geeks" thread.......  

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Possibly they use the same system that Medicare does.  When Medicare says something is mailed, it has not been delivered to the USPS or it would arrive at least a week sooner.  Possibly mailed means put in an envelope.  (I know I am being somewhat sarchastic).  Mail something and it arrives.  Our Postal Service is great!

ansaa Member

All -

Thank you for your posts.  I just wanted to give you an update to let you know that some orders had been delayed due to fraud concerns but that your card should be on the way.  If you would like a more immediate solution, you have the option of an electronic gift card. The delivery for that is generally 1 day to 3 days.

Should anyone have additional questions regarding a past or future purchase of a gift card, we recommend contacting Skymall customer service at 1-800-493-3278.

hopetix Platinum 2 Reviews

marybr,

Really? There is an electronic version? Since when? I called 2 weeks ago and that was NOT an option. I would have gladly taken that option if it had been available to me as I was trying to find a way to expedite getting a gift card to use on my upcoming trip. And an electronic gift card takes up to 3 days? You say to contact Skymall customer service, I did that too about gift cards, and they could not expedite my order or overnight it. I really think it is sad that Marriott has farmed out its redemption services.

Appreciate your response, and I know you're the messenger, but this whole increase in points, gift cards can't be overnighted etc. just make folks who were used to the excellent service and value we used to receive crazy.

I got a call from Marriott Rewards and they shipped via UPS.  I'm happy that it should be on the truck today - thank you - but I feel bad for all my friends here who are still waiting.  Can you help?

PS: I know it's not your fault but Marriot needs to let people know if this happens again.  Mary

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...