7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2013 1:12 AM by mblakie RSS

MegaBonus and Just For You Bonus at the same time?

mblakie Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I apologize if this has already been asked.  I see someone from earlier in the summer asked about the 2 stay, get a night free bonus and the road to gold bonus occurring at the same time.  My question is about the MegaBonus and the Just for You bonus - can these occur at the same time?  The MegaBonus (5,000 points after each second stay) and the Just for You bonus (25,000 points after 12 nights) both overlap.

- Just for You bonus is Aug. 15 - Nov. 15, and

- MegaBonus is Sep. 15 to Jan 15

So they overlap between Sep. 15 and Nov. 15.  Would nights and stays count for both?  That seems awefully generous... I quickly did the math for a night near me for $79 (plus ~$10 in taxes) for the number of points I would receive:

- Courtyard stay x10 points =   790 points

- Platinum bonus x5 points =   395

- credit card 5% bonus, including the tax =   442

- MegaBonus (half of the 5,000 points since it would be 1 stay) =   2,500

- Just for You bonus (1/12 of the 25,000 points) =   2,084

So that's 6,211 points for a roughly $90 stay!  I always equate the points to be worth roughly 1 cent each, so $62 in rewards for a $90 is extremely generous.  Plus, I could stay at a Fairfield or Courtyard that offers free breakfast.  I'm also close to losing my platinum bonus for 2015, so these extra nights would help me keep it - I only have 61 nights for this year, and with the travel I have planned I will only be 68 nights.  So these extra nights could help me keep platinum for an extra year, which would really give me even more points in the future.

I'm not missing anything am I?  This is very generous, or you can't double dip with these promos?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: MegaBonus and Just For You Bonus at the same time?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

mblakie

I believe the megabonus begins sept 15 not aug 15.  also, I am not aware of the just for you promo.  has anyone else received info on tis promo?  maybe it truly is "just for you"!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

You're right - I mixed up the names of the two.  The first one I had listed is the Just for You bonus, and the second is the MegaBonus.  I've edited the post to be correct.  I did have a coworker who also travels somewhat often and usually stays with Marriott mention he had the same promotion.  I haven't asked him about the MegaBonus yet.

One thing I thought of after my first post was that perhaps it's because I usually have stays that are longer than 1 day and usually at more expensive hotels in large cities.  I read on another blog post, I don't recall which, that said people get different promotions tailored towards them based on their previous activity.  So maybe because I didn't have previous stays that would have taken advantage of this Just for You bonus, like staying single nights at cheaper hotels, it was offered to me.  I don't know.  But I'm not above staying extra nights at less expensive Marriotts if they get me $65 in rewards for a $90 night/stay!

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

mblakie wrote:

I apologize if this has already been asked.  I see someone from earlier in the summer asked about the 2 stay, get a night free bonus and the road to gold bonus occurring at the same time.  My question is about the MegaBonus and the Just for You bonus - can these occur at the same time?  The MegaBonus (5,000 points after each second stay) and the Just for You bonus (25,000 points after 12 nights) both overlap.

- Just for You bonus is Aug. 15 - Nov. 15, and

- MegaBonus is Sep. 15 to Jan 15

So they overlap between Sep. 15 and Nov. 15.  Would nights and stays count for both?  That seems awefully generous... I quickly did the math for a night near me for $79 (plus ~$10 in taxes) for the number of points I would receive:

- credit card 5% bonus, including the tax =   442

- MegaBonus (half of the 5,000 points since it would be 1 stay) =   2,500

- Just for You bonus (1/12 of the 25,000 points) =   2,084

So that's 6,211 points for a roughly $90 stay!  I always equate the points to be worth roughly 1 cent each, so $62 in rewards for a $90 is extremely generous.  Plus, I could stay at a Fairfield or Courtyard that offers free breakfast.  I'm also close to losing my platinum bonus for 2015, so these extra nights would help me keep it - I only have 61 nights for this year, and with the travel I have planned I will only be 68 nights.  So these extra nights could help me keep platinum for an extra year, which would really give me even more points in the future.

I'm not missing anything am I?  This is very generous, or you can't double dip with these promos?

I haven't seen simultaneous bonus points promotions in a long time.  The last one was you get 5,000 or 10,000 points for so many Courtyard stays (and double dipping was allowed) so you must have snagged an additional promotion for only select people.

So I really botched the labeling of these promotions - it was Just for You bonus of 5,000 points after second stay, and the other was the Megabonus.  But I just called and had my megabonus reward changed over to the 1 free night certificate after 2 paid stays offer (up to 2 free night certificates), and the deal is now significantly better:

- Platinum check in bonus = 200

- Credit card 5% bonus, including the tax =   442

- Just for You (half of the 5,000 points since it would be 1 stay) =   2,500

- MegaBonus (1/2 of the 25,000 points a category 5 room is worth) =   12,500

So for each night stay (assuming you have to stay at different locations each night) you would get 16,827 points.  $168 (Approximately) worth of rewards for a $90 stay!  Incredible

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...