14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2013 2:24 PM by joebiotech RSS

No points when setting up trip for wife

joebiotech Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Beware everyone,

Just found out that in order to earn any Marriott Rewards points, that it can only be for me personally, checking in and paying for the stay personally.  I set up a stay at the San Francisco Marriott for my wife using the on-line reservation system.  When the bill was emailed to me, I found that they had removed my Marriott Rewards account number.  Upon making a missing stay request, I was told that no family or friends stays earn points.  So presumably, there is only value in setting up a rewards stay for her.  If I'm paying, then there's no incentive at all to stay at a Marriott.  This is news to me.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Francisco, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts San Francisco Marriott Marquis
  • Re: No points when setting up trip for wife
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

joebiotech

If you are paying on your cc, and you put the room in your name, you will receive the points. 

shoeman

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joebiotech Silver

That's probably the way to get the points from a practical perspective, but according to the email from Mel G from Marriott, "To be eligible for credit, your room needs to be booked in the name as it appears on your Marriott Rewards account, you must personally check-in and occupy the room, and the hotel must be paid directly for the stay upon check-out.  Stays in other names, even those of family members or friends, are not eligible for credit to your account.", that would not be enough. 

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

joebiotech

so, if you are one that goes by the book, then you should understand why Marriott does not allow for points being earned in another's name.  However, if you are wanting the points, I layed out for you a very easy 'tested' way of achieving your goal.  It's your call.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

joebiotech,

You are correct.  I have tried on different occasions to reserve a room with both my marriott rewards id and my chase marriott credit card for my kids as well as my husband, and the road block that we've always run into is this:  the kids (or the husband) check-in at the front desk, drivers license or other govt id is required.  Front desk recognizes that they are not the person on the reservation, ask if the person on the reservation (me) is present or will be arriving.  Unless a lie is told, the front desk will require that they present a different credit card (one that matches the name on their presented id) to put on file to secure the room, and the name on the reservation is changed at that point.  Now in my case, my husband doesn't have a "second cardholder" chase marriott credit card (my card account, just second card with his name on it), so they wouldn't even let him charge the room to my card.  Maybe if he did have that second card, it would make a difference, I don't know.  Perhaps I'll call Chase and ask for an additional card for my husband and see if does.  

Curious, did they remove your name and MR#, but still charge the room to your chase marriott visa?  In that case, you'd still get the 5 points/$1 per Marriott spend.  The other thing is, each property is different.  I think some of it depends on where you stay and who you get at the front desk.  Some associates/properties are more strict than others regarding this matter.

There are potential ways to get around this.  It's up to you whether or not you want to employ them.

joebiotech Silver

Amusingly, I just cancelled my Marriott Visa, since the use and benefits failed to keep up with the increases in hotel category designations (i.e. the category 5 hotel I used in Boston went to category 6, no I couldn't use the annual stay to balance out the annual fee), so I wasn't able to put the trip on that card (which my wife also had);.  They pulled off my Rewards number from the stay.

I'll look into creating an account for her and figuring out the gifting procedure.  Is there a fee for transferring points similar to airlines?

While I understand Marriott's need to maximize profitability, it's strangely counter-intuitive that they would highlight my 26 year membership in Marriott Rewards and then deny the simplest request.  One would think that they would want to encourage family stays as a way of supporting growth, but it seems the few pennies allocated to Rewards is too high an expense for the company.

My understanding (and personal experience) is that you can only transfer points in conjunction with a points reservation.  There are no fees involved.

mjenkins83 Gold 4 Reviews

Have her set up a Marriott Rewards account and have her book under that account. Once the points post she can contact Marriott and have the points "gifted" to you. Done it before and had no issues.

atchan Platinum 1 Reviews

My understanding is that you can have your wife stay at a Marriott under your account if you make the reservation by phone, not online.  When you speak to the operator, tell him/her to make a reservation using your rewards number, but under her name.  You get the points, and if you're Elite status, she can enjoy the benefits.  The other option, as mentioned earlier, is to have her create her own account, then she can transfer her points to you when you redeem an award in which you are short points with no fee. (You have to have proof that she is your spouse.)  If you have her sign up for an account, I would suggest she lists you as her referal, so that you both get referal bonuses.  Hope this helps!

In April, I made a points reservation (as Merb referred to it, a rewards redemption) for a Cat. 8 stay next year.  I had way more than enough points to cover the reservation/redemption, but I am doing the stay with a family member (not my spouse) and we are sharing in the points redemption.  Marriott allowed my relative to transfer half of the points for the stay from her account to my account so that we could split the cost in terms of points.

So far in reading through this discussion, I am reading a number of things that do not coincide with my personal experience, which for me at least, has only served to continue to make this topic clear as mud.

joebiotech Silver

From what I can tell, they would deny the points, since I'm not physically in the room.  I signed her up retroactively to try and capture the points and did not see any mention of a referral.  Upon looking, I also noticed that there is no Search option on the website.  Presumably if they hide something then only the select few can use it and gain the benefit.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...