3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2013 7:43 PM by pluto77 RSS

Cameroon, Africa?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

There is a strong possibility that I may be heading back to Africa for the third time in four years. I've had the pleasure to explore Johannesburg and Cape Town in South Africa. I truly enjoyed Windhoek in Namibia. My next adventure to the 2nd largest continent with the 2nd greatest level of population looks to be Cameroon.  The port city of Douala will be my home base. According to my limited research, this city is home to 1.3 million and the surrounding region swells to 3.0 million. I'm just starting to investigate the area. I know they have a heck of a soccer team. If anyone can share any other tidbits or helpful hints, I'd appreciate it!

The only western chain hotel that I've found so far is a Le Meridien by Starwood that has terrible reviews. I wonder if our friends at Marriott can brick and mortar me a place by November?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Douala, Cameroon
  • Re: Cameroon, Africa?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Nothing yet?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

painedplatinum, I know nothing of any travel value about Cameroon so I couldn't help but do a little on-line looking just to satisfy my curiosity. I'll add to your limited research these two nuggets of info:

*Douala is a sister city to Philadelphia. Not helpful, but you never know when a little fact like that can be worked into a conversation!

*I don't know if B & B's appeal to you, but the LaVilla des Fees looks very promising. See what you think about it! I didn't see a hotel that stood out necessarily.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Nothing from me, my friend.  Actually, when I went to the UAE, I was hoping to find out that the Saudi Peninsula was part of Africa, so I could at least say I'd been to Africa, but no - it is considered Asia.

It looks like you might have to become our resident African trailblazer.  I do hope you can do something safari-like, while there.  Seeing those magnificent animals in their natural habitat... profound, no doubt.

I have heard one lovely saying about Africa... "If you can only ever go to two continents in your life, go to Africa twice!"  That tells me you're in for something special.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...