18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2014 1:22 PM by iahflyr RSS

United Airlines Checked Bags

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I had a United Flight last week and now that I have Premier Silver status with them thanks to Marriott I discovered a cool new perk.  Not only do you get a free checked bag but your luggage is tagged with a Priority Tag and when you go to Baggage Claim all of the bags with the Priority Tags are the first on the belt.  I thought it was pretty cool.  Does anyone else know of any other airlines that do this for their Frequent Flyers?

IMAG0226.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: United Airlines Checked Bags
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Va,

Wow, that is great to know!

Have one flight scheduled on United and hope it works for me.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

AA does this for platinum elite.  I find that this works sometime and other times mine are the last to come.  Since it should come first, you really start to worry.  Mine must have been almost the last picking up in BA from a 777 with many bags, before my Antarctica trip and I was really worried, but it did come.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Reviving this post after this weeks experiences with UA and checked luggage!  ssindc you'll love this since it involves me traveling with one checked bag.

Once each year my wife has a convention in NYC that requires her to actually check one piece of luggage that contains both cocktail party attire as well as quite a bit of paperwork for the convention.  This year I was asked to attend with her so we both packed in that one suitcase and against my better judgement checked it from IAH-EWR on UA.  Let the fun begin.

We get to EWR and wait for exactly 56 minutes before the first piece of luggage rolls off the carousel.  Since we have some lofty status with UA (finally down to Gold) we get the above pictures "Priority" tag which seems to mean LAST off the carousel as everyone else traveling in her group had received their luggage before ours appeared.  So of course I'm jazzed at the thought of checking this same bag back home to IAH on our flight last night.

We checked out luggage at EWR yesterday at 1:15 PM for a 4:30 PM departure (got out of Manhattan much faster thn expected on a Friday).  We spent some time enjoying "meds" in both Terminal C UA Clubs before boarding the flight at 4 PM.  Upon arriving at IAH some 30 minutes early (yeah CO crew and plane) we go to baggage claim and wait, yes waited for 50 minutes before the "Priority" bags come off the carousel.  Well of course ours wasn't one of the first or even middle or last, it never appeared.  So off to baggage claim services to where I put down our name then Jeff Smisek as I figured he has lost bags as well on his airline.  The nice lady helping us (CO employee) told me our bag tag was not in the system, she made a few more entries in her computer and said, "let me check something else". She comes back and told us the bag was already here from an earlier flight and we walked across the terminal to find it waiting for us, two flights earlier than ours. 

While I'm happy UA did find the luggage I am a bit miffed that they do not send the passenger an email alerting us to the fact the bag will be waiting for us at the destination rather than wait the entire time we did only to find nothing.  Had the line at baggage services been long as it was when we found our luggage we would have spent about as much time waiting for things as the entire flight took. 

No more checked luggage this year for IAHFLYR and Mrs. IAH....but I know SSINDC will enjoy learning of me checking luggage!!!

erc Platinum

And they say no one reads our forum!  Man, that's bad news. Sorry. My new name on Insiders is Poster, formerly known as IAH's pal.

I'm hangin' in the Friendly Skies with vaboywnder, ssindc and iestrikesback  from now on.

ps - and yes vaboy, not to jinx it, but I've had terrific luck with the Priority tag in the rare case of using it (overseas, and like my former pal, at a spouse's convention).

It's all good as the wine was cold when we got home and the upstairs bathroom remodeling was well underway.  Is that "Poster" or "Poser"?

The Friendly Skies do much better in the sky than any other place.

They are supposed to put your bag on your plane.  If they don't, there might be rules that they can't tell you when your bag is sent ahead.

Yes there are rules however, don't send the email until your plane Aircraft Communication And Reporting System (ACARS) sends the message to the company that the aircraft is on the ground.  An easy simply connectivity that an airline should be able to accomplish.

I agree.  I was expected to misconnect and was put on later flights but my luggage was tagged for the flights that I was expected to miss.  So much for security.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

IAHFLYR,

Sorry you had the bad experience.  I've also had the situation a couple of times where my luggage arrived to my destination airport on an earlier flight.  I haven't flown United since this original posting and usually fly Delta for most trips.  One nice thing about Delta is they have a "Track Bags" option built into their smart phone app.  This gives me a little piece of mind as I can always use this to see where my bags are when I check luggage.

VA BOY,

That's a perfect solution to what we experienced, let us track it.   I'ts no wonder DL blew UA out of the water in 2nd quarter earnings, Ahhhhhgain.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

IAHFLYR, I read a story, years ago, about why one has to be on their best behavior when flying... Apparently, the airlines have a system where they track difficult passengers (whiners, trouble makers, screamers, etc.)...  Over the years, I've heard stories that these folks get bumped first, etc....  Then there was the recent litigation (see below), which I'm sure you followed... In any event, I have no personal experience as to whether any of this is true.  But - if it's true - maybe they've been reading all about you?  Again, I dunno, but....

I could be that guy!!  Except the Rabbi checked luggage more in a six month period than I ever had so I can't be that guy I guess.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

My bags were also tagged priority on my recently completed trip!

debbiebrown Platinum 6 Reviews

We have received that tag with our luggage on United. I THINK we get to get in the fast lane also when checking in too...don't we?

Not sure what you mean by "fast lane", but if Pre-Check I don't believe having a Priority tag means a thing in relation to Pre-Check.  Not sure anymore how the Pre-Check is working all I know is I've had it since day one of it being rolled out and love it.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Yes, that would be the "Premier Access" line, if I recall correctly.  Plus, always at least Group 2 when boarding. I was able to use it on my recently completed trip.  And my "priority" marked bags did come out earlier from the baggage claim than those of my colleagues traveling with me.

Premier Access would be considered a "fast lane" at most airport however; at HUBS the Premier line can be much longer than the normal security and ticket counter lines during busy departure banks.

debbiebrown Platinum 6 Reviews

Actually, I think I received an United upgrade on a Dominican Republic trip. They bumped my friend and me up to first class....quite exciting.....I am thinking it was the Marriott/United marriage or it was cuz my birthday was the next day...:)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...