3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2013 6:09 PM by pingreeman RSS

Lifetime Status Question - Point Requirement - Do transferred points count?

meats Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have a question regarding the point requirement for achieving the Lifetime Status tiers.

Let's say I already have 750 nights (which I don't, yet) and 1,000,000 million lifetime points. If my significant other transfers me 1,000,000 points, does that count towards Lifetime Status?

Hypothetically, I would then have the 750 nights and 2 million points needed for Lifetime Platinum. I know Marriott counts CC points, purchased points, and rollover nights, I'm wondering if the same can be said for transferred points.

Any insight would be great, thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lifetime Status Question - Point Requirement - Do transferred points count?
    skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Since I think there's a 50,000 limit per year on the transfer, you might reach lifetime naturally before the spouse can transfer the points.   But I think points from all sources count towards the total.

Cheers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lifetime Status Question - Point Requirement - Do transferred points count?
      meats Platinum

I see a 50k limit on purchasing points but not transfers. Below are the restrictions on transfers. It looks like you would immediately have to use those points for redemption, which is a wrinkle, but doesn't answer my original question whether or not they count towards lifetime.

Transferring Points from One Account to Another

1. This Member benefit is available only at time of Reward Redemption (only one Reward request per Reward Redemption, please).
      2. Immediately prior to Reward Redemption, a Member may authorize the transfer of the necessary number of Points into the Rewards Program account of his/her legal spouse or domestic partner, in order to qualify for a specific Reward.
      3. Only the necessary number of Points needed to redeem the specified Reward, rounded to the nearest 1,000 Points, may be transferred — no more, no less.
      4. An Authorization to Transfer Points form must be completed and submitted to Rewards Program Guest Services in order to transfer the required number of Points. Forms are available by calling Rewards Program Guest Services at 1-801-468-4000 (Marriott Rewards Program) or 1-866-922-6882 (The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Program). A request for Reward Redemption from the transferee's legal spouse or domestic partner must be submitted to Rewards Program Guest Services with the Authorization to Transfer Points form.
      5. Once the authorization for transfer is received and processed, the transferee relinquishes all rights to the transferred Points, and they become the legal spouse's or domestic partner's Points.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Transferred points do NOT count - they were not earned through Marriott/your membership number. Case in point - ty converting airline miles to MR points - no vredit. (Same visa versa with the airline).