22 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2015 4:04 AM by donethat RSS

Well, I made it. Lifetime Platinum

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I first joined Marriott Insiders about 4 yrs ago. I came on to vent about blackout nights. Many folks responded to my post and made me feel welcomed. That was the start of a rewarding relationship with many of the legendary posters that we all respect and admire.

An early topic I came across was Lifetime Elite status. I think there was some lamenting on the fact that Marriott had just lowered the requirements to achieve these lofty levels of staying loyalty. At the time, I had no idea that these levels even existed. My curiosity kicked in and I called Marriott to get my program to date numbers. The current targets were 12 year membership, 600-800-1000 nights stayed, 1.2 mil, 1.6 mil., and 2.0 mil points for Silver (LSE), Gold (LGE), and Platinum (LPE) respectively.  I was sitting at 16 yrs, 593 nights, and 1,005,061 points. At the time, I was hoping to get the Silver and maybe stretch for Gold. Well, as my work travel started to go crazy, I thought I'd have a chance at Platinum. My new goal.....GO GET THAT PLATINUM LIFETIME !!

I did my forecasting and if 2011, '12, and '13 were comparable to 2010..... I thought I'd get to the 2.0 Million points by March, 2014 and the 1000 nights by October, 2014. My travel actually increased dramatically. At the end of this 5 night stay in the Renaissance Charlotte Suites, I will be at 20 years, 1000 nights , and 2,142,631 points.  To quote the Grateful Dead "What a long, strange trip it's been".

I realize "years in program" was eliminated and the the nights target was lowered last year to 750, but out of respect for the pioneers on this sight, I wanted to wait until I crossed the 1000 night plateau. Along the way, the many folks on this sight that have brought knowledge, experiences, and wonderful new ideas have made the journey very Rewarding.

Last thoughts....That lamenting that was happening about LPE had to do with lowering the points target from 3 Million to 2 Million. Well folks, I'm still traveling, but I'm not sure I'll get the 3 Million any time soon. For those of you that reached the original lofty LPE.... I can only tip my cap and marvel at your ability to balance all those nights away from home with the many family priorities.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Well, I made it. Lifetime Platinum
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Congratulations painedplatinum.

I hope someday I can tell a similar story. Having only joined the program a couple years ago, I have a long road ahead, but as the saying goes "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." For now, I just intend to enjoy that journey.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

CONGRATS painedplatinum and

... I hope to get there someday myself!  I'm 56 nights and 75,000 points closer than I was 6 months ago!!

jdubsacardsfan Platinum

painedplatinum,

Congrats on Lifetime Platinum.  'Looking for some advice.  I have been Platinum for 2 or 3 years.  I'm well over 2 million lifetime points; however, I'm currently at only 676 nights.  I'll  get the 50 nights this year to reach Gold for the year, but I can't figure a way to get to the 75 required for Platinum before December 31.  So, I guess I'll lose my Platinum and move down to Gold for 2014.

I'm retiring at the end of 2013, so my travels will be drastically cut going forward (though, all personal and pleasure starting January 1, 2014).  So, I won't make it back up to Platinum next year and won't be able to hit the 750 nights while Platinum.  Any ideas other than using my Signature Rewards card and nights stayed to reach 750 before the end of 2013?

Although the difference between Gold and Platinum lifetime won't ruin my retirement, I'd like to hit it just for the fun of it.

Any advice?

Thanks,

jdubsacardsfan

jdub,

Well, lets start by letting you know I'm a Cubs fan, so helping out a Cards fan is fine as long as you don't start waving those WS flags.

Okay, you're currently at 676. That means you need 74 nights to hit the 750 Platinum Lifetime qualifier.

For 2013, are you counting your annual 15 nights from the Chase card in your 50 night total?  If not, 65 nights is just 10 away. If you can get a little closer to 75...there's a fighting chance that Marriott may grant you Platinum status for 2014 based on your track record. I'm not aware of other ways to get night stay credits other than actual stays and CC nights. I know there are folks on here who stay mainly for personal and pleasure nights. pluto77 is a wizard at getting these nights racked up. Let's see if she can add an idea or two. Also, erc scours the Marriott sight with the best of them and he finds greatly reduced rates for great hotels. Maybe he'll keep an eye out for you or even share his secrets......and you can sneak a couple of weekend stays for next to nothing. Since your a Cards fan, jerrycoin  may be able to twist an arm or two in St Louis to set you up for a nice leisure rate. Then of course we have tef6178. Tef is one of the timeshare experts. If there is a way to earn nights by staying or viewing a sales pitch, I'll bet he knows.

Back to Lifetime Platinum. How many of your 50 nights this year are yet to hit? Where will you be at years end? When is your Chase card anniversary month? Where do you live (there are areas of the country that offer great rates for weekends)?

erc Platinum

First off, way to go pained, terrific accomplishment (although little can remove the agony  of being a Cubs fan ).

jdubsacardsfan - contact Marriott rewards and see if you can enroll in the Platinum challenge

Loyalty Traveler - Marriott Rewards Elite Challenge Terms - USATODAY.com         (from an earlier tef posting)

that way, at least you can crawl toward your 750 nights post-retirement as a Platinum.

Also, type in Platinum Challenge in the search box upper left corner above for further ideas (don't get confused about the Plat Challenge for members of other hotel plans - Marriott offers it to Rewards members as well). Give thought to where you might want to visit in your retirement  and start looking now (as you know, you can book up to 330 days in advance) avoid the pre-pays (unless you've committed to airfare), learn the values, and check back now and then (intensity based on how bad "you want it" ) deals are out there, but they go quick, so when you see them (especially cancellable rates) grab 'em.  Good luck.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I was banging away on the keyboard, while you were posting away.

Jdubs, what he said.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

First let me start by saying, 'Congratulations, Pained.'  May you always be upgraded, and may your free breakfasts always be hot.

For Jdubs, funny Pained should mention about being just 10 away, as I just went through this yesterday with my mom, strategizing as to how to ensure that she would retain her current elite status for next year (her incentive is the free breakfast and possible upgrades for next year's travel - not even thinking long term - as in lifetime - yet).  We worked on the CC nights, accounted for upcoming major expenses that would be passed through the credit card, plus upcoming travel.  If you think you're done with travel for the year, consider that if you can ply out some of those stellar weekend rates that folks have been mentioning, and remember that you're not just getting yourself a nice extra and inexpensive weekend away, but also you're investing in the future as well, in terms of elite status.  My travel budget is maxed out for the year, but I was turned on to some ridiculously cheap room rates in WDC next month, combined with a fall airfare sale, and - Voila!  Another mini-vacation on the cheap is on deck, which certainly won't break the bank, and it will stack up a few more nights.  Another idea, if you haven't added your birthday to your MR profile, there's another elite night credit (not an actual free night, just one night credit towards elite status).  Is it significant for you to reach lifetime platinum while at platinum status?  Maybe I'm not understanding.  Anyway and finally, thanks to our good man tryt53, if you do fail to make platinum, but retain gold for next year, you can always sign up for the taste of platinum challenge.  Also, if you are within say 5 nights of the 75, you can always contact platinum customer support in Jan. and ask them if they would consider renewing your platinum status since you are so close.  They often accomodate this.  If you're only 10 away though, I'm sure you'll find a way to get there.

Best of luck in your quest for lifetime platinum elite.

By the time I make lifetime elite status (gold, I don't see platinum ever happening for me), I'll just hope to be given some crumbs leftover from the dessert platter and maybe even a free cup of coffee (did I really just say that?).  For now, I'll just live in the moment and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Thank You Pluto.....I'll have a tear in my eye thinking of you and those crumbs as I dine on Concierge treats in my upgraded suite.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

painedplatinum.

Not so fast my friend, you now have to get in line with pluto77 and the rest of us as we wait for the non staying Marriott Reward Golds from the nice new and well received UA partnership get the upgrades and gobble up all but the crumbs from the CL.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

pained:

Congrats on a 'Lifetime' achievement! Now that the long road has been achieved you can stop and 'smell the coffee' for a moment...as long as you don't do it in a Courtyard.!

jdubsacardsfan....as a lifetime Red Sox fan, I say let's do another WS! In my lifetime, we're even up at 1 each.....Cards in '67...Sox in '04. Next one's the rubber match!

Now, in re pained plats timeshare reference..... if you own a timeshare (anywhere) can you get a nights credit for staying on a timeshare trade. So, if you own at some resort other than Marriott...you can trade those weeks for a Marriott property (thru Interval International) and after you get the confirmation on the exchange.....just call the Marriott platinum line (or reservations line) and ask them to put your rewards number into the reservation. A lot of folks don't realize that they can get the nights credited for an exchange but they must add their rewards number to any exchange confirmation done into a Marriott property from a non-Marriott property.

The  Marriott confirmation number will always be on the exchange confirmation. There are no nights credited for doing a sales pitch, but if you do one on a paid or exchange stay at a Marriott timeshare location (they will barrage you to book a presentation sales pitch when you stay at a Marriott timeshare anywhere and anytime) you will get credit for the nights you actually stayed.

But beware if you do a presentation...they will try and get you to do an ENCORE STAY after you do any sales pitch with an offer to stay again at their resort for a 'reduced' rate (reduced is determined by the eyes of the beholder, I think the rates are pricey). You may think this is a great way to boost the nights count with a cheaper stay but you WILL NOT get credit for any nights when you stay on an Encore deal.....even though you paid for it.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

painedplatinum,

Welcome to the club and congrats on the Lifetime Platinum and I'm sure the pioneers appreciate you showing the respect!!

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Congratulations!  It is a cool thing - Lifetime Platinum.  At least it impresses my colleagues that I work with that are "only" Gold!

midloplatinum Platinum

I Also got it, but with the old requirements.  So you don't have to be a member for the minimum 12 years anymore?  I am happy for the OP but 4 years seems way to short to establish any lifetime commitment. I guess if everyone is a PLT, it will dilute the benefits such as upgrades.  A guy who achieves lifetime PLT in 5 years and quits over the coffee, comes back in 9 yeas for a meeting and takes an upgrade from a 20 year customer Because he checked in first?

I really don't like Hiltons and have great relationships at the staff at several hotels but it seems the more I achieve in Marriott loyalty, the less that loyalty means From a corporate standpoint. I dunno, messing with your core customer base seems like a bad idea.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Congrats!  I went back and looked, not sure when I crossed the mark but pretty sure I made the original measures.  I did most of mine while I was single/no kids.  I could never do that now with a family and diminishing work travel.

My stats:

Platinum Lifetime Status

Nights1,478

Points3,128,776

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Welcome to the club. Now you get the same outstanding extra benefits that all of us Lifetime Platinum Members get.

Do me a favor and let me know if you find out what they are.

chris0311 Platinum

I came to this thread because I knew someone would post a comment such as yours.. Thank you for not disappointing

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

As a Plat Prem, I see all kinds of value in the status when traveling abroad, in the US only at the larger properties or cities does it seem to make any difference but when it does, whooah baby does it ever.  As for LTP, heck who knows, have never traveled as one, have been Plat Prem for 6+yrs

The room upgrades and other goodies I've seen are pretty spectacular, I would love to think that I would have received similar as LTP or plat....but I doubt it based on other's postings.  At the end of the day some properties "get it" and bend over backwards to ensure loyalty is rewarded.  They each do it in there own ways, often it seems in ways that cater to the person's interests, previous stays or just special bits.  Others could care less if you were there or not...some have even said as much.  While LTP is a great reward for loyalty based on longevity (& even easier now than ever to get), Plat Prem is a whole other level of loyalty to get to and maintain so rightfully or wrong I expect to see more "perks".

I would certainly hope that LTP members get a little extra bump for upgrades or other perks and I suspect at a property that "gets it" they would.  We don't ever seem to be able to get a universal coverage as there will always be those that don't get it and don't care for whatever reason.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

As a Platinum I see plenty of benfits (upgrades, etc.) but hitting Lifetime didn't change a thing. In fact, Marriott hasn't even officially acknowledged it even though I hit it several years ago. I asked by e-mail once and they told me that I had made it. But from what I understand, as long as you continue to qualify every year via nights then they don't put you to Lifetime. It's only when you fail to qualify one year that they will make you Lifetime.

Doesn't make any sense, but that's what they appear to be doing.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

john I thought they at least put it on your card .I am not sure when they put on mine whether after or while I was still Platinum

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

They will send you a card if you fail to hit your PP or P level one year.  I have been LP, PP for many years, close to 2000 nts, over 6 mill pts.  Due to family illness I could not travel last half of last year and didn't hit my annual levels.  They just sent me LP card 2weeks ago.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...