9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2013 5:11 PM by nuhusker RSS

Hotel category changes again in NYC!

smst Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Unbelievable! Marriott changes the hotel category in NYC again!

They changed some hotels from category 6 to 7 in Feb/March this year and just changed to category 8 in August without telling us......
For example, Fairfield Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, Fairfield Inn New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue.
I recently tried to book hotels in NYC and found this change. Who knows if they also change hotel category in other cities.....
It makes me feel that Marriott rewards is worthless if we don't use asap.
Does anyone notice this recent category change as well?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA
New York City, New York, USA
  • Re: Hotel category changes again in NYC!
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Same thing happened to me at the AC Hotel in Burgos, Spain.  I had to change my dates from September to August, sometime in July.  Hotel category went up and cost more points.  Was not a hotel that was on the list changing categories published during the winter.

Was not happy.  Fed up with this ****.  Only left with a couple thousand points and a bunch off gift cards, I'll use the cards then I'm out.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Hey, communitymanager and merb -  if this is wide-spread, it's a pretty big deal.  Could you confirm or deny (or share any official "proclamations from above")?

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

I don't like the cost, whether in dollars or points, to go up, but...supply and demand sets pricing.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Lakersfan

thats very magnanomous of you, but I think you have totally missed the point.  Since when does Marriott change property categories multiple times in one year and not even inform elites of the change????  very poor pr if you ask me....

shoeman

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I've got to agree with shoeman1000 on this one...  As both merb and lakersfannoted, anyone who travels to New York (or any major city, or any area that has significant sports or conference business) knows that prices fluctuate with demand.  And NYC is particularly, wildly, frenetically variable - NYC - Market Pricing

But it's pretty unusual for Marriott to change categories without an announcement, particularly less than a year after a big announcement - and, most importantly - no warning that the increase was coming (before which many of us made long term travel plans).  I guess I'd like to think that Marriott understands that - when they raise the categories and give notice - it generates lots of point-burning reservations (which reduces many of our war chests, thus reducing their pending liabilities)....

Grumble, grumble...  OK, enough whining.  It's Monday - a new week - I think I'll get it off to a good start by playing the new Renaissance game -Renaissance Discovery Doors Contest - Uh, gee, I don't get it.... - NOT!!!!

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/people/shoeman1000, I don't like it either, but I don't see anything where Marriott has agreed to notify changes in advance.

erc Platinum

Well, I tried real hard to stay out of this thread, but I can't help myself.  Lakersfan, you are correct that there is no written rule preventing Marriott from raising categories anytime they want. The beef isn't that Marriott broke any rules, it's that Marriott, going against the historical operating norm, has once again altered the playing field to the loyal customers' disadvantage (which is certainly their right). It would be like if Marriott changed all reservations to a three day cancellation policy, again, within their 'rights', but just as certain to be perceived as another head banging squeeze on us customers.

merb - I appreciate that as an associate spokesperson you can only say what is within the range of approval (and quite frankly, no one on this forum ever wants you to get in any trouble - you are a valuable, responsive ally); but be aware I, for one and perhaps many others, don't believe that baloney (that they've tried to sell to us before) about Categories are raised based on redemption volume - if that was actually true, we would not have had 38 pages of increases to 1 page of decreases in the most recent Category change - just an FYI. IMO, Marriott should just make their business decisions and stop peddling the pablum to veteran travelers, it leaves a bad taste.

Ok, back to my cage. A good day to all.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

nor do I recall Marriot specifying they would greet me with a smile upon arrival, but that doesn't mean I do  ot expect it....I think it is a fair assumption that Marriott would announce category changes in advance.  any one else agree??

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

It just seems to make good business sense to me to announce category changes in advance.  I agree with you.