39 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2015 4:46 PM by Jsucool76 RSS

Luxury weekend near DC - wow!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just noticed that the Ritz Carlton properties - both the one in Pentagon City and the one at Tysons Corner - have some killer AAA weekend rates - we're talking rates of under $200 (I just saw $152 and $188 pop up on my screen) - wow - both of those properties merit a serious look. (The two downtown - the one in Georgetown and the one up on 22nd street - are hundreds of dollars more per night.)

Between the two, for a tourist, Pentagon City makes more sense - it's literally on top of the METRO Blue line, which is really convenient.  Granted, the METRO silver line is coming to Tysons, but it's not there yet....

Both run a robust and sophisticated conference and event business - we've been to many events at both - and both boast excellent food options.  My wife and I once went to the Ritz in-house restaurant on our anniversary for the chef's table, and it was a memorable culinary experience.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, DC, Virginia, USA
Falls Church, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park
  • Re: Luxury weekend near DC - wow!
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

ssindc,

I noticed the same thing about the Pentagon City Ritz.  On the weekend of 8/30-9/1 they have a AAA rate of $135 a night. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder- yup, that says it all...  I hope some of our non-local colleagues are paying attention.

erc Platinum

I'll try to help keep your thoughtful gesture alive (although it's tough these days).

As Arne stated in his quarterly earnings conference, DC remains soft, so Insiders come on down. Some excellent Christmas and New Years rates exist also. Me and the Mrs. will be at the Wardman Park Marriott New Years eve, eve ( AAA $89 - cancellable) and do our annual National Zoo tour and then metro over to the Pentagon City Ritz for a New Years eve (AAA $135 cancellable) get together with some old (and I do mean old) school chums - although you won't find us in the lounge, Fyve restaurant* for dinner or dropping $100 for breakfast since the Ritz (like CY and several others) don't earn points for anything but the room. skiadcock is advocating otherwise, but most likely, in spite of her persuasiveness and merit of argument, has only secured a  well meaning and sincere (but sadly, non-impactful) "Hi skiadcock! We are absolutely reading this thread and we appreciate your feedback.  We'll be sure to pass your feedback along.  Thanks for posting!"  Can't state where I'm planning on dining New Years eve, because I haven't secured the reservations yet and I don't want you and that Charlottesville resident who loves our hometown, snagging my table and bumping me down to a Denny's.

*Ok, ok, I might slip into the lounge around five for their 'five for five' specials (like Roy's, some excellent deals) - but that's it - promise.

PS- Nats take a comeback victory over the Phils, erc moves to 4-3 for the season, woo to the hoo.

erc, I must say, I spend too much time at the Wardman Park at (huge) conferences, walking endlessly, but I love the idea of the zoo visit - we spend much less time at this national treasure (particularly on Sunday mornings) than when my kids were younger. 

Since we're on this topic - and I know it's a big step down from the Ritz - but another relatively well-kept secret for a (shockingly) low-cost, but nice weekend getaway in the DC area is the Westfields (out towards Dulles airport) - Westfields Marriott Washington Dulles - for $99 a weekend night, I've been known to head out there in the dead of winter with my boys, spend hours in the indoor pool, enjoy the expansive Sunday buffet, and gawk at some of the art (and artifacts).  In better weather, it's a popular (and very well maintained and managed) golf course for large (scramble-type) one-day events, and their post-golf buffet - out in the pavilion - is a treat.

Speaking of Deals around DC... One of erc 's favorite spots, Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church, has a weekend rate of $99 which includes 5K Marriott Rewards Points. Promo Code MR5.

Falls Church Hotels | Fairview Park Marriott | Hotels in Falls Church VA

erc Platinum

Good ones vaboy and ssindc (Westfields buffet is superb). Breaking news nuhusker  the Fairview Marriott, after initially going with the corporate plan of continental breakfasts on weekends is back to offering buffets on weekends for platinums. Way to go Fairview Marriott.

Now, I'm heading off to a great brunch deal in McLean at Assaggi Osteria courtesy of the Travelzoo heads up by our Insiders pal sg1974 - tip of the hat to sg!

I realize this thread is a tad old, but - particularly for erc and vaboywnder - if you end up at (or near) the Fairview Park Marriott, I strongly recommend the 2941 Restaurant - see 2941 Restaurant - 2941 Restaurant ....

Location Brand Hotel
            Falls Church, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park

ssindc,

Thanks for the Fairview Park restaurant recommendation.  I'll keep that one in mind.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the Crystal City Marriott?  I just booked 4 nights over Labor Day weekend for $74/night.  One minute walk from the metro and free airport shuttle service.

erc Platinum

Way to go Pluto, that's a great rate. I've only stayed there once and everything was fine (nice gym) so you'll appreciate the value and convenient location (a brief walk in Crystal underground which is attached is interesting - once ). I'm pretty sure californian stayed in Crystal City this spring, I just can't remember whether it was Gateway or Reagan, touch base with her. Along with the DC restaurants you have in mind, Crystal City - Jaleo , Arlington Seafood Restaurant | Legal Sea Foods - Crystal City (an East Coast chain, mostly Boston, with excellent seafood - nice patio in CC if weather is pleasant) and Ted's Montana Grill (Ted Turner's buffalo chain, he's one of America's biggest ranchers) are three in easy walking distance where I've had excellent meals and good times.

And of course, my savings bible goldstar.com/ (type in your dates) good Spy Museum, tour/cruise savings, etc, with the savings from this, you could stroll down to the Doubletree and sip a beverage in the   Skydome Lounge - Pentagon City - Arlington, VA while it revolves around with views of DC and the Pentagon and Air Force Memorial.

Have a terrific time.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I'd forgotten about Legal Sea Foods until you mentioned it.  My husband worked in MA for quite a while several years back and we got to go up to spend some time with him a few times when he worked in Worcester.  A few times, we drove to Salem, MA on weekends and ate at Legal's.  Delicious!!

We went to Salem to look for the grave of one of his ancestresses who was burned as a witch there.  I don't remember for sure, but I think he found it.

Really nice maritime museum there.

Another place he liked to eat at up in MA was Friendly's, so he was familiar with the chain when they opened one in Myrtle Beach, SC.  Their clams are really good, unlike the dried out, rubbery ones we were used to at most restaurants. 

Thanks Erc,

I've been in touch with Californian (matter of fact, we had coffee together in Newport Coast last weekend; very enjoyable visit.)  She's the one who put the bug in my ear.

I have no plans to spend anymore time in the hotel or at Crystal City than the time it takes to shower, rest my weary sightseeing bones and grab a breakfast.  Just a cheap means of getting back to DC for a brief sightseeing stay.  The room rate, being on the metro line and having free transportation to/from DCA have all appealed to me.  I will be reviewing the fantastic DC Dining blog that you, ssindc and gemprincess - along with many others - populated with so many great recommendations.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I stayed at the RI Capitol View.  It was very nice and almost new.  They shuttled us to Crystal City to catch the metro.  That time I was using some of these certificates that we earned.  It is a Cat 4.  I would have had to pay over $250/nt.

Howdy pluto77 - if no one else has responded, yet, check out this thread: Which DC area property to choose (Crystal Gateway Marriott?)

Thanks SS,

very helpful and informative.

pluto77,

I'll be across the street from you that weekend staying at the Crystal Gateway Marriott where I was able to get a $69 rate.  I'm checking in on Friday 8/31 and checking out on Sun 9/1.  On Saturday afternoon I have my Global Entry appointment in DC so I wanted to be close to the Metro.  Private Message me if you would like to meet up during your stay.    There is an underground tunnel that connects the two hotels together along with the Crystal City Metro station.

Vaboy,

Of course I would love to meet up with you for a visit.  Are you checking in Fri. or Sat.?  We would be arriving on Sat. 8/31, late afternoon or evening.  I'll message you as soon as the flight and plans are firmed.

Pluto,

I'll be checking in late Friday 8/30 (I see i got the date wrong in the previous post).  So perhaps we will be able to catch up late Saturday or early Sunday depending on what works best for you. I'll wait to hear back from you once you get your plans squared away.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I will be there too.  Maybe we all can meet.

californian,

That would be great!  I've enjoyed reading your posts as well and it would be great to meet another Insider!  I understand you will be traveling with Pluto and she now has my contact info.  Looking forward to meeting both of you!

eight50fun Platinum 1 Reviews

IF anyone wants to go to dc I wouldn't waste your time with Tyson's ritz carlton.  Its attached to a shopping mall (although a vey nice shopping mall) and is in a very congested area  20 minutes outside of dc.  Pentagon city makes more sense but still not exactly in dc. I would also suggest staying at the renaissance dc New Hampshire ave or jw marriott.  They often have very reasonable rates on weekends too and are in great locations.

Jsucool76 Gold

Pentagon city is the one attached to a shopping mall.

Actually both Pentagon City and Tyson's Ritz properties are attached to malls.   The one at Tyson's however is attached to a very high end mall called Tyson's Galleria.

Pentagon City Mall Link:  http://www.simon.com/mall/fashion-centre-at-pentagon-city

Tyson's Galleria Mall Link:  http://www.tysonsgalleria.com/

Jsucool76 Gold

Well....I'm gonna be in the pentagon city ritz starting tomorrow....so I think that makes it better by default....

LOL...let us know how your stay goes.  I will probably hit up one of the two Ritz properties later this year.

Jsucool76 Gold

I would've liked to stay at the ritz georgetown, but I don't have ritz georgetown money

Jsucool76 Gold

report from my first few hours at the Ritz pentagon city

stopped in the club when we checked in as our room wasn't ready (we got here early) after a quick stop at the admirals club in DCA for water and some cookies. (and clean bathrooms)

was in between servings at the lounge, but they had homemade parmesan potato chips, dips, breads, free booze, cookies, candy, and whatnot. definitely better than any Marriott lounge I've been in between servings.

evening offerings were scallops, duck,filet mignon, some kind of beef Patty thing (shredded beef in a little bread cup or something, Idk but it was delicious). hotel is super crowded because of some convention happening but there was maybe 7 people in the lounge including us.

lounge attendant was super friendly and super helpful. we showed up after the lunch serving but she went in the back and took out some (I guess leftover) lunch offerings (some really nice sandwiches) to make sure we were satisfied.

room is alright, but I would come back just to stay in the lounge forever.

jlbarone3 Platinum

I have stayed at both of these Ritz's. For touristy things, the Pent City is without question the better hotel. However, rooms are dated and pool is small. It is on top of the metro and attached to the huge mall with nearly limitless shopping and dining options within a 10 min walk from all directions.

The Ritz in Tysons is within driving distance to the Tysons malls (maybe you can walk? I never tried). When I stayed there as a gold on the weekend my parking was waived, which was nice. YMMV though. It's a superior hotel in terms of offerings and rooms, but not really near anything aside from Tysons mall. So it depends what you're looking for.

Jsucool76 Gold

rooms are definitely dated, but PG city was 169 a night and Tyson's was about double that for my visit. as long as I get club level (#freebooze #freefood) I'm happy and the food here is excellent. I plan on using my $100 hotel credit for Sunday brunch (supposed to be good).

breakfast this morning was pretty good too. the eggs were substantially better than the "eggs" I get at some FFI/RI (even the essex house had gross eggs)

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i wish the Ritz here on the west coast were just as fordable. cant find anything cheaper than 400

Jsucool76 Gold

this is my first Ritz, and while it's definitely not the nicest one in the world (or even the DC area) I'm loving it so far. all of the staff is so friendly.

I had emailed them and told them our stay would coincide with my mom's birthday, and they sent up a plate of 3 giant cupcakes which my mom and I agreed were delicious.

stopped in the club to see what they offer for desert and it was pretty nice. cake, chocolate covered almonds, cake, strawberries with chocolate sauce, some really nice stuff. and unlike some CLs I've been in before where they specifically say 'don't take anything to your room' the lounge attendant continually asks "do you want another beer/soda/more water for your room,"  "do you want me to make a plate up for you to take to your room?"

#LovingIt

Jsu,

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like you are really enjoying the lounge there.  It's helpful to know that the rooms are nothing special at Pentagon City.  I may check out the Tyson's Ritz later this year if the rates are good.

Jsucool76 Gold

rooms definitely aren't BAD. Just aren't fantastic. I also read somewhere that they plan on remodeling soon. last reno was in 07, and for 8 years I'd say this place looks great. ill take some pictures tomorrow when I come back (after housekeeping has been here).

Jsucool76 Gold

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah26/jsucool761/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150613_140421_zpsikgcllpo.jpg

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah26/jsucool761/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150613_140431_zps8nfjm2tt.jpg

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah26/jsucool761/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150613_140448_zpsnhnuw6au.jpg

double double club level room. not super modern, old TV, but it works and it's uber cheap

Also, uploading pics to MRI from your cell phone sucks. Haha. #WeNeedAnApp

Thanks for sharing the room pics!  As you said its not a bad room...just not grand.  Glad you are enjoying the stay!

Jsucool76 Gold

Checked out of Ritz PG City today...overall my stay was wonderful. Will definitely be back. I told a staff member there that if they were to undergo a renovation I would make a trip up just to see the new place...and I definitely would. Fantastic use of club level upgrade certs if you got em. Uber cheap.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I've never stayed at a Ritz, though I am contemplating one for my 50th wedding anniversary next year.  (Today is my 49th!)

We live about 4 miles from the Tysons Ritz and Pentagon City is definitely a better location for seeing DC.  There is a Metro stop practically down stairs from the hotel.  A ten minute walk away you have Crystal City with lots of dining choices including a delightful Greek restaurant on 22nd street called Athena Pallais.

Jsucool76 Gold

Happy Anniversary!

The metro access for the PG city ritz was great. Literally at the doorstep to the hotel, and if it's raining, you can just go into the mall and get to the metro from there.