22 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2013 9:09 PM by kroywen RSS

Marriott launches new game ap program!  Why weren't loyal Marriott customers informed?

dbmbonthego Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Yesterday, we read in the International edition of USA Today that Marriott is launching a new game ap to attract the next generation of travelers.  It is a good idea, but I think that we as loyal Marriott members should have been sent an email regarding the program also.

They are giving out 1 million Marriott Rewards points.

What do you think about this?  Have any of you been notified of this new mobile gaming ap?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott launches new game ap program!  Why weren't loyal Marriott customers informed?
    erc Platinum

Marriott launches game app to attract Millennials

I happened to see this yesterday, and have just been worn to a nub about these repeated communication slights, that I just didn't care. I'm glad you posted it.

Whether it be point savers, American/Marriott agreement, United/Marriott reciprocal perks, etc, etc, etc, I, as an "Insider", find that I get most of my Marriott updates either from my finance colleagues (who are often Hyatt and Hilton) or other Insiders, who have gotten it from sources other than Marriott.

This would certainly appear to make the case that, whether we want to think we are or not, Marriott certainly doesn't regard this forum (in its current, dying form) as their target audience.  As Sgt. Gunny Highwayman in Heartbreak Ridge liked to say, "improvise, adapt, overcome". We should all act accordingly.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott launches new game ap program!  Why weren't loyal Marriott customers informed?
    lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

I am surprised to read about the new game AND the new MegaBonus program in the Marriott News Center.  Forget about just those (us) who participate in Insiders, I would think that Marriott would email blast things like this all of their MR members!

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

Is this going to be an upgrade to the current Marriott app or will this be something additional to download?

I'm sure the marketing folks were not thinking of us when they planned the launch as this is intended to gain NEW MR folks.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

It's the new paradigm shift at MR-Corporate ==> attract NEW customers rather than focus on the loyal customers. As a PP for 9+ years straight, I never see these promos - I guess Marriott thinks they already have me hooked and do not need to promote to me directly. (Yeah - ok, I've checked my e-mail subscriptions and no, I did not restrict promos).

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

pingreemain,

I agree with you, in that Marriott is looking at attracting new business with this.  New business probably is in the younger group, because older travelers would have more than likely already tried Marriott, one or more times already.  And if new younger travelers are the target, would email be the way to get to them?  I don't think so.  I think it would be social media (Facebook only contest that we've already seen), apps, and word of mouth (which comes from the previous items).  I saw this first mentioned in a an article that talked about the new app targeting younger new travelers. 

I have already figured out that if I want to stay in the middle of all of the new stuff, I need to take my own initiative, because they aren't looking to pull people of my age along.  I got the game app (but haven't played it yet), and connect on Facebook (which I have gotten some advantage out of already).  If I don't find a way to insert myself in their targeting techniques, I will be farther behind, especially in the Marriott arena, and I'm not quite ready for total "Marriott pasture time" yet   While I may not be happy with these techniques, I do understand why they're doing it, and I think it's up to me to figure out how to play the game to get the most benefit for my dollar.  If Marriott was the only hotel chain doing this, I would have probably changed, but unfortunately this seems to be a hospitality shift.  The airlines seem to be taking the same approach.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Good point tryt53!  I am social media handicapped.  Even though years ago I used to write code, Facebook does not make sense to me so I generally avoide it.  Have never figured out twitter and instagram(?).  So, I may need to take your advice if I want to receive the benefits of being marketed to along with the generation that came after me!

sunsoaker Platinum 3 Reviews

As a platinum Premier member and a lifetime platinum member it seems to me the deeper I get into the program the less they inform me of anything.

Its about gathering newbies and leaving us loyalist out to pasture. We have to find the perks while others get it handed to them.

Kind of reminds me of our government. But dont get me started on that.

atlantaguy Platinum

Is this game just for iPhones?  

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

It appears this app is only for iPhones, at least for now. There are hints that it might be available for other platforms later, but nothing specific. Unless you have an iPhone or iPad (which I don't) the opportunity to earn MR points is not available. (I wonder if I can borrow the iPad I gave to my girlfriend for her birthday last year).

While I just barely squeak by at the top end of the target demographic (Gen X and Gen Y), I'm excluded because I use and Android phone. I'm not much of a smartphone game player, so this might not be for me anyway, but I'd be curious to take a look for the possibility of earning points (I think I just revealed myself as a points junkie).  For the time being, I'll have to get my points the old fashioned way -- earn them.

Time to start racking up charges on the MR credit card again. I do need a new laptop.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

dbmbonthego - Here are some details on the game: Marriott launches “Xplor” and chance to win a share of 1 million points

"Xplor" is currently available within the Apple App Store but there are plans to expand to other platforms as well.

blackbronco Silver 5 Reviews

I use an android phone so I guess I am with the majority of 75% android users and have to be patient until it is available for android phones....no apple for me.

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

Has anyone heard the results of this contest?  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...