4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2013 1:43 PM by ladyt RSS

Renaissance on Wacker v Hyatt Regency on Wacker

ladyt Member
Currently Being Moderated

I'm headed to Chicago with the family and can't decide whether to stay at Ren or Hyatt. Any recommendations?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chicago, IL, USA
  • Re: Renaissance on Wacker v Hyatt Regency on Wacker
    cruisetraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

It all depends on if you like the very large hustle bustle type hotel (Hyatt) or a more relaxed type atmosphere (Ren). My opinion is the Ren will give you personalized service (upgrades, concierge lounge, or any concerns are quickly taken care of) if you are a Marriott member. The hotel is not as large as the Hyatt. (I have only walked though the Hyatt never stayed there). Also, I would think the wait time for everything is less. If you are traveling with family it is nice to be able to get an elevator quicker, not wait in a long line for the restaurant Marriott changed the point rating to a 7 for this hotel, which does seem like alot for a hotel that is not a resort, but I guess it is for location, right on the Chicago River.  I am not sure if other Marriott members share in my opinion ,but when I stay at other Hotel Chains (only if I have to), I am always comparing them to Marriott. Marriott properties seem to win. All my experiences with Marriott have not been perfect (about 500 personal stays are noted on my account since I have been a member) but any problems or concerns I have had, were all taken care of quickly and to my satisfaction. If you are coming to Chicago soon the Air and Water Show is August 17th and 18th

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Chicago is perhaps our most favorite city in US to visit. This might sound silly, but my wife and I normally stay outside the city - Lombard, Oak Brook, Schaumburg - for lower hotel (Marriott) rates, and drive 30-45 minutes into the city via freeway once the traffic has diminished. This, of course, necessitates parking fees, but Chicago is an easy city to navigate in and if you're touring the many fine museums - particularly the Science and Industry, south of the city, you'll need a car.

If, however, you want the convenience of staying downtown, we like the Residence Inn on East Walton, two blocks off N. Michigan Ave. and near the Water Tower, fine shopping area, Lincoln Park and many great restaurants. Parking is provided at R.I., but it's not cheap ($35 daily).

We've also stayed at Marriott Fairfield Inn and Marriott off No. Michigan, but for the difference in price I'd still recommend the Residence Inn. Another rich experience is the Conrad Hilton Hotel on South Michigan, site of the final scenes in the popular movie, "The Fugitive".

Fred S.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

You might find this thread interesting - Chicago Advice: Blackstone, JW, Rez Inn/Spring Hill Suites Combo, etc? - lots of helpful knowledge from our community!!!!

I'm at the Renaissance all week, and we're really enjoying the hotel and the location.  Here's my initial review: Terrific First Impression .... Very Happy

ladyt Member

Yes I read that.  Thanks.  But, it doesn't compare the Hyatt.  I have a suite at both hotels and want to make the best choice.  I need to hear from someone that has stayed at both or at least the Hyatt.  Ren has such great reviews I guess I can't go wrong with them.  Hyatt's suite has 2 full bathrooms which comes in handy when you have kids.  Now I guess I have to decide weather the view or extra bath is more important.  Thanks so much to all!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...