6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2016 2:37 PM by peymanagement RSS

Safety of Mexico and Mexico Cities Vs American Cities?

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I saw this article on safety of Mexico and Mexico City vs many large American cities and thought I'd see what everyone else thought.  From my readings and experience, the biggest areas of concern have always been around the drug cartel areas, and not very much around Puerto Vallarta.  What do do other people feel, who have been to some of the other Mexican Tourist cities?

Mexico vs US Cities - How Safe Is Mexico

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Marriott Hotels & Resorts CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
  • Re: Safety of Mexico and Mexico Cities Vs American Cities?
    jonsummers Gold

I felt very safe all around Puerto Vallarta. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

luismx Silver

Hello. I live un México, and of course stuff happens all over the World but my suggestion is to be extra careful and dont do dumb things, like get drunk or walk alone in the middle of the night, Dont take a taxi in the street, always use hotel taxis or uber. Dont be flashy with money, watches or jewerly or fancy electronic stuff.

Mexico is a wonderful place to visit and with good Marriot properties, cities like Cancun, Cabos, Vallarta are good bets and there are many others like Merida or Campeche that have ancient ruins and lots of flavor.

Just pay atention and be alert.

seatexan Platinum

Wonderful Puerto Vallarta, Part One

This was written by IAHFLYR - lots of good things in here.  He can tell you more about his trip there I am sure. 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We've made three trips to Puerto Vallarta since last December with the last taking place a few days after the kidnapping a few miles from the Marina where we stayed.  The entire time we never felt anything but safe as that isolated event in PVR was totally cartel related with the same story coming from locals as well as a very reliable local source. 

Bottom line, when I go down there again in December I'd be surprised if my thoughts will change.

Good stuff tryt53 and thanks for posting it.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I felt very safe in Los Cabos.

peymanagement Platinum

Most of my Mexico travel has been on the east coast tourist areas and have always felt safe. The article is interesting but uses Homicide as the indicator. Homicide is not a good indicator of tourist safety as the bad guys are usually shooting each other.

Petty crime such as pickpockets of robbery is better indicator. However, it does not  matter where you are in the world, if you are not smart you can get yourself in trouble. One of my safety/security things that I do is hook up with the concierge, either at the hotel or sometime I use AMEX and let them do a little organizing. It works for me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...