6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2013 8:57 AM by jjofriends RSS

Yearly award

jeffc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have a Marriott Premier credit card that comes with a free night each year.  The award is good for 6 months based on my anniversary date.  Since my date is in Sept I always have to use my reward between Sept and March.  This is inconvenient since I travel in the spring and summer.  I tried to find a customer service or retention representative that could fix this issue(maybe switch my anniversary date to Apr so the reward is good Apr-Sept instead) but have had no luck.  The most common suggestion I have received from Marriott representatives is to cancel my card and apply again in Apr so i can change the Anniversary date.  This doesn't seem to me to be an efficient technique or the best way to treat a customer(go away and fix it yourself) and I was wondering if anyone could help or had a better suggestion.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Yearly award
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

jeffc,

I was under the impression that alot of us here on MI have called customer serivce and have been able to extend the expiration dates of free night certs. I am not 100% sure the CC free night cert can be extended but I have heard of others having success in calling and having expiration dates extended on certs.

see below:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/76301#76301

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

koolinamike Platinum 1 Reviews

I recently have had a good experience in requesting an extension on a prior certificate promotion.   it took a little work and I did lose my cool (sorry Marriott CS representative), but Marriott did come through to assist me.   I don't always wait unitl the last minute to book/use certificates - and I should be more diligent going forward.   But, always good to know that the folks on the phone really do try and can occasionally make an exception.   Not always.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Hi jeffc. I have the same issue each year in using my anniversary night as my anniversary date is similar. Call Marriott Platinum line and tell them your plight and that there is just not a way to use the free night. They have extended mine every time. The trick to this (told this by Plat. representative) is to wait about 2 weeks prior to expiration and call to have it extended. I have found that it has worked for me three times now. I hope it works for you as well. I also asked to have my last certificate upgraded to cat 5 to match the new category upgrades from May and they did that as well.

johnl Marriott Associate Gold

Hi jeffc,

My advice would be to call the Marriott Rewards customer service office to discuss options.  Keep in mind that exceptions that are made on these types of things are still exceptions, but there's nothing wrong with calling to ask.

Thanks,

John

figment414 Platinum 14 Reviews

Hi Jeff-Let us know how you make out. I too am platinum and when I asked about extending the certficate, was told they couldn't do it.

jjofriends Gold 4 Reviews

I was on the phone with the Rewards team yesterday to use certs for a portion of my stay, and the phone rep voluntarily stated the extension can be done.  So it's certainly worth trying if needed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...