11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2014 8:02 AM by pingreeman RSS

Starbutts Running Over Courtyard

fedupplt Platinum 33 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I may be in the minority here, but as my name states, I am not a fan of Starbucks. I am aware a significant number of coffee drinkers enjoy starbutts but there may be just as many that avoid the bitter grind they produce.

I am a fan of Marriott and enjoyed many nights at Courtyards in the past. Now when I make a reservation in certain areas, I am compelled to stay at the competition just so I can enjoy coffee.

Are others feeling the same?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Starbutts Running Over Courtyard
    missgee Silver 40 Reviews

I am your opposite.  I very rarely stay in Courtyards but a Starbucks would tip me in favor of one.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kellyincali Platinum

Although I'm not a Starbucks fan (tastes burnt), I only drink espresso so it isn't that big of a deal to me. If I'm in a hurry, I'm glad to be able to get an espresso without having to look all over whatever town I'm in.  

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Count me in - I left a CY after 9 months (about 190 days) and bolted to HGI when the CY removed the free coffee. I heard that six other Platinum Premiers also bolted to the competition. SPEAK WITH YOUR FEET and perhaps Marriott will see their EBITA go to heck and sponsor free coffee, again.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Unfortunately, pingreeman, as you know, if Marriott hired someone with a least a basic understanding of marketing, they'd realize that once they leave, it will take a lot more than free coffee to attract lost customers back again.  Sigh.

erc Platinum

As sensible and strategically logical it may seem to assume that Marriott is concerned about customer departures; after following Marriott financially for years and its loyal, high margin, veteran customers' complaints the past year and a half on this forum and flyertalk, I am convinced their lack of response is not an oversight. I have concluded that they truly (sure they'd love to have us, but not at what they deem an unnecessary incremental cost of benefits) don't concern themselves over departures.

If interested enough (but really, do we actually care anymore?) take a glance at just three recent items;

1) In spite of what elites have espoused - take a look - Marriott wins again (don't forget Freddies award as well)

http://news.marriott.com/2013/07/us-news-world-report-names-marriott-rewards-top-hotel-loyalty-program.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MarriottNewsCenter+%28Marriott+News+Center%29

2) We've seen the Forbes article highlighting the company's focus on millenials - take a glance at the open house photos - notice anything demographically?

http://news.marriott.com/2013/07/marriott-hotels-and-shira-lazar-host-of-whats-trending-celebrate-transformative-travel-brilliantly-campa.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MarriottNewsCenter+%28Marriott+News+Center%29&utm_content=FeedBurner

3) So that we don't get emotional and go all sappy over loyalty - let's remind ourselves what a cutthroat business lodging can be. Here Marriott by developing a Gaylord in the Denver market is facing pre-litigation opposition by hotels including their own brands!  (not that I oppose the move, but it does point out along with several other agreement litigation cases, these boys and girls ain't in it for the feelings)

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2013/07/19/colorado-hotels-move-to-block-aurora.html?page=all

And lastly, in spite of all of our declines in stays and nights, we haven't made a blip financially as we are apparently replaced by equal numbers of new customers, whether the aforementioned millenials or disgruntled other chain customers (they must be, if Marriott remains the top Rewards program).

So everyone, wail away all you want, you certainly have my support and agreement, but include a bbq recipe or a name of a good restaurant, so your post at least has some impact.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

erc,

I agree.  I don't think they are concerned about getting loyal members back.  The numbers are more in favor of getting massive numbers of new and non-loyalists who don't care about the perks and benefits many of us have grown accustomed to.  Besides, if they don't have to do anything special to keep getting new customers, it's just more profit, and they don't have expectations of what "Used to Be".

tryt - you NAILED it! It's all about numbers, not loyalty. Looking at my MR history of ~200 paid nights per year, all the MR bean-counters need is to recruit 9 new MR folks who each spend 22 nights a year to essentially reach my spend - and the kicker--> none of these newbies will reach any level of status, so MR avoids having to spend anything on benefits for the same revenues.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I dont stay at CY and have never been a fan of *bucks. I know more about coffee trading and roasting than many people, and I can tell you that for the classic roast, they literally run the bean thru a roaster at high heat and "burn/singe" the beans. The theory they use is common in the coffee roasting business, that when you remove the moisture from the roasted bean, and then grind it for brewing, it makes for a more intense flavor and gives a caffeine boost. If you like your coffee (or espresso), all the more power to you. I like a more mellow coffee and havent found the Blonde Roast or Pikes Peak to be anything special. I prefer dunkin Doughnuts coffee. As to CY, since as a Plat I get nothing from them, I dont stay at them. Havent stayed at them in years and years and have no intent to do so. Since CY was orignally sold as a chain for business people designed by business people (for those who remember the original CY slogan), then Marriott lost the way and designed it for business people who like spending more for less (not what I do for my business). So having or not having *bucks has 0 impact for me.

wearytraveler Platinum 18 Reviews

Presently, my wife and I are at the Courtyard Richmond Northwest.

I did not like the 'free' coffee that was previously offered at Courtyards.  I dislike Starbucks coffee and refuse to drink it, let alone buy it from the Bistro. 

However, my wife has to have her "Bucks" coffee every day.  She is very disappointed as the only 'blend' that is served is Verona.  She drinks the Pike Place blend.  If the Courtyard is going to contract with Starbucks to run the Bistro, then all blends should be available, not just a selected one.  What is the point of claiming that you have a Starbucks in the Courtyards, when they offer limited services?  Fortunately for my wife, there are two full-service Starbucks within 1/4 mile of this hotel.

A couple of years ago, USAToday conducted a survey of morning coffee drinkers.  The results were that only 1/3 preferred Starbucks.  This is not an overwhelming majority.  Not only that but 1/3 preferred Dunkin' Donuts coffee (not as readily available across the country as Starbucks, but they matched the percentage).  The balance preferred MacDonald's or other blend.

Bob

PS:  I drink primarily Dunkin' Donuts coffee and will travel up to 10 miles one-way to get it.

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

Funny you should mention "there are two full-service Starbucks within 1/4 mile of this hotel." as this is the case for 90% of the CYs out there... (non-scientific study...)

Having a Starbucks inside the property is merely a "draw" in the marketing world.  Mutually beneficial for both Marriott and Starbucks, this is a smart business move on both parts... Even if it does PO a lot of loyal customers.

What this does point to is further evidence that our society has been so drawn into the television age of fairy dust and the downhill slide of thinking for ourselves.  We have come to the point of putting a high value on a basic cup of joe and even dish out hard earned money for a bottle of H2O... 

I pity this world when the next generation takes us to an even lower level...  Canned air next?

UPDATE - The CY-Calgary has brought back the free coffee in the lobby - well, not exactly. Since the Bistro does not open until 6:00 AM, management has set up free coffee for the very early risers who are catching the shuttle to the airport. Once it's 6, free coffee vanishes and it's Starbutts time.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...