7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2013 5:34 PM by vaboywnder RSS

Marriott 10% Gift Card Bonus is Back

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just noticed that the Amtrak sponsored 10% Marriott Gift Card Bonus is back.  This promotion ran last year in 2012 and is now in effect through August 31, 2013.  When you purchase a Marriott Gift Card using the link below with Promo Code "AMT" you will receive a 10% bonus on the Gift Card.  Here is a link and terms of the promo:

https://gifts.marriott.com/

Amtrak 10% Bonus Terms and Conditions

This is an online promotion only and cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer not valid on Marriott GiftCards purchased via Marriott properties, 3rd parties or 1 800 813 GIFT. There is no limit to the number of GiftCards that can be purchased. Offer not valid on purchases of eGiftCards. Valid July 1, 2013 through 11:59pm EST August 31, 2013. GiftCards purchased between $25 and $1500 are eligible for the 10% bonus. You must enter the AMT promotion code to have the 10% bonus added to the value of the GiftCard you purchased. The 10% bonus will be reflected on the card amount once received. *If Express Shipping is chosen, please allow 1-2 business days after delivery for the 10% bonus to be reflected on the card balance. This is a limited time, limited inventory offer. Marriott Rewards points will not be earned with the purchase of the GiftCards. Shipping and handling fees apply. $1 shipping option available to U.S. addresses only for orders less than $1,000 USD. For full Promotional and Marriott Gift Card Terms and Conditions, visit gifts.marriott.com. Marriott International reserves the right to limit, modify, delete or otherwise change the Terms and Conditions of the Program, including these rules, at its sole discretion, with or without notice. All interpretations of these Terms and Conditions shall be made at the sole discretion of Marriott International, whose decisions will be final.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott 10% Gift Card Bonus is Back
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Some interesting constraints:

• Marriott Rewards points will not be earned with the purchase of the GiftCards.  That seems like a big one to me....
      • Would you take a ten percent discount to give up your Marriott points?  I'd have to do some cost-benefit analysis on that one.... Without doing the math, I'm guessing I'd need 20-25 percent discount (or more) before that would make sense. Curious to hear what the experts and statisticians have to say.
    • Offer not valid on purchases of eGiftCards.
    • This is a limited time, limited inventory offer.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ssindc,

Someone who purchases the Gift Cards with their Marriott Visa card would of course still earn points.  I'm curious if they would earn 1 point per dollar or since it would technically be a Marriott purchase 5 points per dollar if they have the Premier Card.  As far as I know you would still earn points when Marriott Gift Cards are used towards your Room's folio as well.  Although someone just posted yesterday that Marriott E- Gift Cards obtained through the American Express Rewards program will not earn Marriott Points when used.

vaboywnder

There are points, and then there are points, and - if you play your cards right, there are big multipliers.  You might find this interesting (or you may have already figured it out, which I'm guessing is the case): MR Premier VISA - Ka-CHING!!!

Totally agree with you ss!  I've even gotten in the habbit of using the Premier Visa card for everyday spending and paying whatever bills I can with it to earn the extra points and elite night credits.  I pay the balance off each month to ensure I don't accrue the interest.  The points add up quickly!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Look at it this way, SS,

If you purchased a $1500 gift card with this offer, and didn't get the 10 points/dollar spent (totaling 15,000 points), but instead got the $150 bonus, the question is, which holds more value, 15K MR points or $150?  To me it ends up being subjective, based on how/where you would be spending your points/dollars, and what sort of deal you can get on a property rate.  15K points will only get you one night at a Cat. 3 property, but there are some Cat. 6 and higher properties that you can get a great cash rate on at certain times, perhaps for $150 or less, so it just depends.

At any rate, I would still think we'd be eligible for the 5 points/dollar Marriott spending with the Chase Visa Premier card though.  We would also get Marriott points when we spent the gift cards at Marriott properties.

To me it's a good deal.  Just curious about the Amtrak sponsor, Vaboywnder.  Didn't see that anywhere on the link.

yup - you hit the nail on the head pluto77

completely agree with your analysis... curious to hear how others see it...

pluto77,

I was curious about the Amtrak sponsorship of the promotion as well as I couldn't find anything on their website about it.  I learned about the promotion while reading the Terms & Conditions of the Gift Card link I provided earlier.  After a little more digging I discovered that Amtrak has a magazine called "Arrive" similiar to the airline magazines.  Here is a link to the online version on the magazine which has an advertisement for the promotion:

http://www.arrive-digital.com/arrive/20130708#pg5

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...